Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 12:35 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,164,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Since we're discussing saving money at Walmart...has anybody noticed that they've begun taking down the shelf stickers which show the per oz. price? I use them all the time to figure out what brand I should buy. On only a few product I buy by brand name. All others I check the per oz price. Helps to know which size also. The biggest used to be the cheapest per oz price, but not so much any more.

Recently lots and lots of the per oz prices were gone. You who shop in other stores, is this happening everywhere? I'm not happy about this at all.
Huh, I didn't notice that. We use that as well. We actually just found that the smaller box of great value cheerios had a lower cost per oz than the large box. You would usually think the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 04:08 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
We actually just found that the smaller box of great value cheerios had a lower cost per oz than the large box. You would usually think the opposite.

At my WalMart, the 60 oz. bottle of Pine Sol is cheaper per oz. than the 100 oz. bottle.

The thing is that the 60 oz. bottles are the lavender and lemon fragrances, while the 100 oz. bottle has the original (brown color) fragrance which seems to smell stronger. Maybe it has a stronger cleaning formula?

Old 04-19-2017, 10:19 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
At my WalMart, the 60 oz. bottle of Pine Sol is cheaper per oz. than the 100 oz. bottle.

The thing is that the 60 oz. bottles are the lavender and lemon fragrances, while the 100 oz. bottle has the original (brown color) fragrance which seems to smell stronger. Maybe it has a stronger cleaning formula?
I'm not saying that sign is, but some of them are just wrong. I'll notice that a comparison doesn't make sense and have to do the math myself and see that it's plain wrong!

Or on Cheerios at mine, the largest one is the same price as the next to largest one. So, obviously the larger one is cheaper per ounce, but the stickers don't reflect that. They show the same total price and the same per ounce price. I had to take them both for a price check at the register.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:51 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The last time I went there for underwear, it was either the Dominican Republic or Honduras.
Hanes.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:04 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
The Hanes men's underwear at the local store were made in Honduras.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:45 AM

93 posts, read 83,275 times
I'm no fan of Walmart. However, I do buy an item or two there every once in a while when I need something that only they sell. I go in, walk directly to the item in question, grab it, and check out. Two minutes, tops. I don't even glance at the many acres of pointless plastic doodads stretching away in every direction.

For groceries in general, I just go to Aldi or Save-A-Lot, whichever is more convenient that day. The total cost for the week's groceries is always lower overall, even if a couple of items might be priced a bit higher than elsewhere.

I don't have to look at flyers, download apps, argue prices with cashiers, or travel to different stores. I guess that's not the most frugal way to do things with money, but it does save me on time and stress.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:09 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I'm pretty sure the price per ounce stickers are still up at the local walmart. If not, you can always do what we used to do before stores started doing that price by ounce courtesy, which was to do the math yourself. Or, I know full well that everyone's phone has a calculator.

In fact that was part of my child's education. When he was little, it was his job to read the labels for ingredients and to do the math (in his head) to figure out the price per ounce to see which was the better deal. He has grown up to be a careful shopper and a whizz at math.

He was also always the best behaved child in the store because he was there working along side me instead of being neglected while I shopped.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:13 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I'm not sure this is following the topic or not, but way back when income was really tight, I would write down the price of everything that went into my basket so I could add it together to make sure I didn't go over the amount I had to spend.

That can be done by carrying around a calculator and adding each price as you go... as long as you don't make a mistake with your entries and mess your balance up.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:51 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What business ethics? Tell us more so we can better understand? Their employees are paid better than min wage by a couple of $$an hour, they have good benefits, they often hire people that, for various reasons would have problems getting a decent job somewhere else and you talk about their business ethics. Obviously some believe what they read, even if the reading is slanted. I will say one thing, they are non union which I am sure upsets many.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft3DKfhtoc8

Old 05-07-2017, 11:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
ok,so now I watched the UTube video that was obviously created by a group with an agenda and I am supposed to agree with you that WalMart is a horrible company? NOT!!!!!!

Today in our business sectioned of the paper there was an article about Fast Food versus retail for working conditions. They interviewed one young man: obviously not well educated: he started his working days at a fast food chain and now works for WalMart. He had nothing but praise for Walmart compared to the fast food industry. He praised WalMart for their starting salaries, retirement plans, health insurance, etc. So now you want me to believe big box stores are horrible? yes, they do often put mom and pop businesses out of business, I feel sorry for those people. Years ago I worked part time for a children's store. They went out of business because they couldn't compete with the major dept stores. I felt so sad for the owners. This has been happening for years and will continue to happen. Don't you think there was a time when Sears, Penny's and Montgumery Wards put small businesses out of business? Did that make them bad companies? NOPE!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living