Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 12:40 PM

23,534 posts, read 24,022,219 times

Advertisements

I'm always aware of Walmart and local competitor prices. I always try to buy in bulk when possible and if the prices are better. I use my iPhone calculator to figure out if the prices are truly "a bargain" or not, by calculating cents per .oz, cents per unit, etc. This way, you can compare pricing on an "apples to apples" basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 01:18 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
There are no Aldis in my state.

I checked the Aldis locator it says there is on 2 states away, roughly 198 miles from me.

I am not familiar with shopping in an Aldis.

I am very familiar with Walmart. We have four Walmarts within a 40 mile radius.
I simply gave Aldi's as an example: Walmart will match any other store advertised prices. My comment was simply to give my opinion when you wrote: the best way to save money at Walmart is not to shop there. I again, totally disagree with you and as I said, I am not a lover of WalMart, but you can save on most items. Last summer I wanted to smoke a brisket and they were about $ 4 a lb everywhere. I decided to try WalMart;; They were less than $3 a lb. I can't remember exactly. This is a cut of meat that I don't mind buying there, for the price. Would I buy top sirloin or rib eye? No

Old 03-24-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
We prefer buying local farm produce whenever possible.

We settled in a rural part of New England where there is enough local food that nobody 'needs' to buy imported food.
But see you are talking about the exception not the rule. Not everyone is that lucky and there are only so many things you can buy from your local farmer. We too live in a somewhat rural area and we love to visit the local farmers for produce to can in the summer, but I have yet to find a farmer that sells things like cold cereal.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:57 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
But see you are talking about the exception not the rule. Not everyone is that lucky and there are only so many things you can buy from your local farmer. We too live in a somewhat rural area and we love to visit the local farmers for produce to can in the summer, but I have yet to find a farmer that sells things like cold cereal.
I do our grocery shopping. Right now our 'brick and mortar' grocery-store shopping is done once a month. Distilled water [for our solar system], TP, Coffee [my Dw likes her coffee, I drink green tea which we grow], Spices [things we can not grow, like cinnamon, cumin, nutmeg, turmeric, etc].

We produce our own poultry and pork, honey and maple, beans, greens, fruits, and a wide selection of herbs. Which we sell at a farmer's market and we barter for other local produced goods.

We are very 'lucky'. We decided to migrate to a drought-free area known for it's sustainable local food culture and ability to grow such a selection of food.

Had we not decided to move here, we would not be this 'lucky'

Old 03-24-2017, 02:35 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I totally disagree with you. While I am not a huge Walmart shopper, they do have lower prices on most staples and they honor sales prices from other stores. I have seen strawberries at Aldi's for discount $1.29 quart, Walmart will match. It just takes knowing your prices and knowing what not to buy. Too many people judge WalMart without really knowing much about the store.
You mean taking in store ads for them to match? My complaint is that savings catcher is supposed to do that now and it doesn't as well as it used to. More times than not it tells me now 'no lower prices found'

Old 03-24-2017, 02:37 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Nearly all of the imported food at an Aldi store comes from the European Community with the bulk of it from Germany. It is of much higher quality than the "Great Value" brand. Of course, the Great Value brand is about the lowest you can go in quality.

Produce at Walmart? It is mediocre quality at about 30% price premium to Kroger's.

I am not going to go to a Walmart store and spend ten minutes playing "price match" with an unfriendly cashier while ten people are behind me in line. In the old days, Walmart used to send "secret shoppers" to all of their competitors to check that their prices were actually lower than the competition. Now I guess that they ask their customers to do all of the work.
I like Kroger much better and think they are cheaper. Things go on sale. I buy more of things that are on sale and then I don't need them when they are off sale /shrug. Much nicer store and better quality/selection.

And the deli is yum.!

Old 03-24-2017, 02:39 PM

6,752 posts, read 5,054,508 times
Never was big on Wal-Mart, but after two bad experiences now I never go there at all.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:43 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Thanks, but I'd rather be a good citizen and avoid Walmart entirely. I consider Walmart, as a corporation, to be scum - whether you look at it in terms of the awful way they treat their employees, the way they kill jobs, or the way they trigger a general international rush to the bottom.

I've only bought something there when I've been completely unable to find it elsewhere, and I'm happy to say that was several years ago.

Old 03-25-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
You mean taking in store ads for them to match? My complaint is that savings catcher is supposed to do that now and it doesn't as well as it used to. More times than not it tells me now 'no lower prices found'
Actually we do not even have to take the ads in if we do not want to; we just tell our checker; sometimes they will tell us before we finish letting know the price. The one thing they do which is smart for them, but not consumers is: tell us such and such at a store is based on a 2 lb pack for instance. So it isn't exactly a match.

Old 03-25-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Thanks, but I'd rather be a good citizen and avoid Walmart entirely. I consider Walmart, as a corporation, to be scum - whether you look at it in terms of the awful way they treat their employees, the way they kill jobs, or the way they trigger a general international rush to the bottom.

I've only bought something there when I've been completely unable to find it elsewhere, and I'm happy to say that was several years ago.
Awful way they treat their employees, give us some examples that you are sure of and then look to see what the Walton family gives to charity and how much they help the country and the community. Have you noticed how many mildly challenged people they hire? Why do so many stay with the company for so many years if they are so awful? I do not think there are many businesses that are as misunderstood at Walmart.
I resent your indication that people who shop at WalMart are not good citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living