U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 08:01 AM

7,080 posts, read 3,778,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Gil View Post
A few years ago, I moved to Oklahoma and lived in a rural RV park. I paid a semi-retired contractor who lived in the neighborhood $3,500 for a 12x12 (so 144 sq ft) stick-built cabin. That included labor and materials. I spent another $1,500 on insulation, electricity, and a window A/C. The RV park had no running water, so obviously there was no expense for connecting to water or sewage.

The park had a bathhouse up front with showers and toilets and a water pump. I filled up a couple of 7.5 gallon jugs of water every so often for drinking water and cooking. On my lot I had a tent with an RV toilet in it (to save the hassle of going all the way up front just to use the toilet), and when it got full, I took it to the front of the park at the dump station and washed it out.

Inside my very very TINY house, I had a computer desk, TV, electric heater for winter, and a bunkbed so a guest could sleep "upstairs".

Currently I live in a 5th wheel trailer with three slideouts (paid $6,000 for it, excellent deal for this 10 year old trailer). Only problem is no A/C, but solved that with a room air conditioner in the main living area and a portable swamp cooler in the bedroom. The only downside is that I have to pay lot rent of $395/month.

When it comes to moving a tiny house on a trailer, or an RV trailer, you don't have to own a huge diesel truck (and I don't). If you don't move very often, just pay someone else to move it.
YOU GO! That's awesome; I could totally live in that space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 10:21 PM

60 posts, read 27,176 times
Tiny home is great if your a really old person.

If your a married person with kids its a joke. Go and sell that tiny home for a tiny profit and get a real house.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:07 AM

1,018 posts, read 385,917 times
1,000 to 1,500 sf is a livable house. The super small house craze of under 500 sf is ridiculous, let's revisit them in five years and see what they have.

A regular house, not a McMansion, is cost effective if built right and not built beyond your needs.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:49 AM

Mine is 800 sf, and I live in on 600 sf...and that's about two times too much space for me. Everything is relative!

Old 07-18-2017, 12:09 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,169,029 times
I think if you boondock in an RV or tiny house, you can save a lot of money on taxes, utilities, rent, etc. It's cheap to pay $5 for a dump station every couple weeks. Solar can provide all your electricity (with a generator for those big appliances) and water is relatively cheap. But this assumes you stay in the national forest for the two week limit then move to another spot 50 miles away to minimize gas costs.

The one thing is though that an RV is a depreciating asset, while a house or a condo, especially in an expensive area, is an appreciating asset.

I would say though that if you are going to travel, the RV or tiny house beats living out of hotels and traveling on planes. Plus you get to take all of your pets and belongings with you.

I've considered doing the RV lifestyle to travel in retirement.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:11 PM

I'm not sure "solar can provide all your electricity," but otherwise true. The main reason I'm planning on traveling in an RV is my two elderly cats; hotels are even less cat-friendly than they are dog-friendly. Friends and relatives, too!

Old 07-18-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
1,000 to 1,500 sf is a livable house. The super small house craze of under 500 sf is ridiculous, let's revisit them in five years and see what they have.

A regular house, not a McMansion, is cost effective if built right and not built beyond your needs.
I paid cash for my first house, it was a small 3 bedroom house. People sometimes think to live in a house you need to live in some sprawling 3K SF palace.

My current house is even bigger than that, and I'm downsizing back to one of my smaller houses because the majority of the house is empty. Heck, even in my first house, I had two empty bedrooms. I don't have a ton of stuff...

Old 07-18-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm not sure "solar can provide all your electricity," but otherwise true. The main reason I'm planning on traveling in an RV is my two elderly cats; hotels are even less cat-friendly than they are dog-friendly. Friends and relatives, too!
First off I also noted a generator for appliances/power heavy stuff, second, there are tons of youtube videos of RV channels I follow where they use just their solar and battery bank for regular use, only using the generator for the big appliances.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:28 PM

8 posts, read 2,653 times
Anyone ever look into just building a garage or pole barn with a sectioned off living quarters. In northern wisconsin I've been seeing more of them going up. And they seem to be cheaper than regular home building yet not so appealing to the eyes. But that's nothing that would worry me.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:17 PM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjm18 View Post
Anyone ever look into just building a garage or pole barn with a sectioned off living quarters. In northern wisconsin I've been seeing more of them going up. And they seem to be cheaper than regular home building yet not so appealing to the eyes. But that's nothing that would worry me.
My home is in the style of a 'barndominium'.

Essentially the kit was marketed as an airplane hanger. Like a barn we finished it as a house and furnished it.

Regardless of size you can design any home to be solar powered and very efficient for heating/cooling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or