U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 04:21 PM

12,405 posts, read 9,195,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
How does an elderly couple get up a steep ladder to go to bed? What happens when someone is incapacitated be ist a cast, medical issues, ... ?
Obviously such people would need a design that accomodates their mobility problems.

Wheelchair-friendly tiny house offers independence on wheels
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 04:23 PM

494 posts, read 333,284 times
Honestly they seem like a modern take on mobile homes. I am not sure they will hold up over time, since the ones I see on HGTV seem to be built more like trailers. They look like they will deteriorate and depreciate over time. So these people won't build wealth through home equity. They will need to depend on the savings through reduced expenses. I am not sure if that will materialize for them.

I saw a show a couple of nights ago, where a family of 5 was moving into a tiny house with 2 bedroom lofts. The whole setup would have driven me nuts.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:34 PM

2,484 posts, read 1,725,769 times
Depends on where you are and what you are talking about. If you have to AC the place for any period, smaller is better, all things else equal. I take it you're talking about a fifth wheel thing? From what I've heard, if costs mean anything to you at all, it's not for you. A hassle and way more costly than a stationary condo or house. Condos of course have HOA's that vary greatly, so one must shop around and get an earful on what has gone on with that particular HOA. I just dumped my OK condo because the HOA's started going up exponentially for the most ridiculous reasons, of which I had no say. I could certainly afford it, but pfft, not me. It's far from being a country club.

As for houses, smaller is better as you age and are no longer into showing off. But building a small house from scratch amounts to a rip off because you'll wind up paying 150% per square foot, because that's the way they price it. Modular homes, finished off on site can save money and there are many smaller plans. Unfortunately, far as I see it, good property is still in the bubble it acquired 15 years ago, and that bubble never broke.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:27 PM

3,429 posts, read 5,755,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I don't get the tiny house movement. They are extremely overpriced on a square foot basis.

Like your father I am also an rver...used to be fill time. I think if you want the most bang for your buck the better option would be an inexpensive travel trailer and a nice park to stay at. You can get one for under $20,000 and the lot rent on a yearly basis can be from $200.00 per month- $1000.00 per month from what I have seen. Your area is pretty expensive so not sure what the prices are now.

On top of that you get all the amenities the park has to offer and sometimes a gated entrance. In the end....you own your trailer as opposed to having nothing after renting an apartment or a condo.

If I was younger I would do that although it would depend on where I lived. South Florida can be brutal in a trailer in the summer....and northern climates would get too cold.

Oh and in all the parks I have been at over the years I have only seen 2 tiny houses. So I have no idea where they all are and I have never seen one on the road. If they are putting them on private land then you would be better off building your own. They are just too expensive.
To be clear we aren't interested in a tiny home. It was simply an observation after watching a show. I think our 1200 ft is plenty big for 3 people. I cant imagine cleaning more than that !!!

Old 03-15-2017, 06:14 PM

369 posts, read 206,553 times
I agree that it might not be cheaper. Paying lot rent in a good park would take a good chunk of change in many areas. Plus, if you have this cute little house, do you want to be parking it in a trailer park where it will stick out like a sore thumb?

If anyone is looking for cheap living and doesn't mind living in a trailer park, then buy an older mobile home and re-do the interior. Even an older mobile home would be tons bigger than a tiny house. These tiny houses are 8' wide, less if you take insulation and walls into account. That's not something I'd want to live in full time. If I wanted to go the cheap route, I'd go with the older mobile home redone that is probably 14' wide and would have decent room sizes. Lot rent would be the same no matter the size of the home.

As others have said, I wouldn't count on a good resale value. Even if you're spending one of the lower prices such as $40,000 for one, will you get anything back if you get tired of living all squished?

And then there is insurance. Is it insured as a mobile home since it is on wheels, which I understand costs more than permanent structures? Can you even get insurance?

For someone who can build the tiny house from scratch and who has a cheap place that is approved by local laws to park it, then yes, I think it can be a good deal. For all others, not so much.

I wouldn't want to be pulling a tiny home to travel. If I wanted to travel, I'd go with a used camper. They appear to be lighter and more aerodynamic.

I do enjoy seeing what they do with these tiny homes, and they are cute as a button. I think one person could be comfortable enough living in one, but I think they're a little too small for a couple. When I see families going into these tiny homes, I cringe. It seems unfair to the kids, and I shiver when I see them put little ones up in a loft.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:19 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,790,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
How does an elderly couple get up a steep ladder to go to bed? What happens when someone is incapacitated be ist a cast, medical issues, ... ?
It is not required nor law that a tiny house have a loft bedroom but many choose to have one.
Personally I would not but I do not like a basement or second floor in a conventional home either.
One can design their own tiny home or use the many floor plans available to build the home to best fit their needs.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:24 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,790,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'd never live in a tiny house because you can't do anything in them but sit. There's not enough room to cook a big meal and have people over, unless you do it all outside. You can't have any hobbies or do any sports that require supplies or equipment or room to spread out (sewing, quilting, working on any sort of collection you might have, canning, etc.). You could barely get 4 people around a table to play cards. Pets would make it feel very crowded. Before you know it you're paying for storage or junking up the outside, or building a shed to put your stuff in.

I guess if you're truly seeking a meditative life where you want to peacefully sit and contemplate things it would be okay. But whether you save money or not, it isn't a lifestyle I'm interested in.
You can cook a big meal if you want to and you can do much more than just sit in a tiny home.
We used to live in a 21' travel trailer and I used to cook for 9 people every weekend, on the stove, using the oven preparing big meals and everything. I quilted, sewed, read, crocheted and shared the space with Mr. CSD, one 70 pound dog and one 13 pound cat, no outside storage necessary.
One has to be willing to do what is necessary to make themselves comfortable in their surroundings and one should have first hand experience before presenting an all inclusive assumption.

PS ~~ A friend and I also managed to can tomatoes as well........

Old 03-15-2017, 11:12 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,338,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I don't get the tiny house movement. They are extremely overpriced on a square foot basis.

Like your father I am also an rver...used to be fill time. I think if you want the most bang for your buck the better option would be an inexpensive travel trailer and a nice park to stay at. You can get one for under $20,000 and the lot rent on a yearly basis can be from $200.00 per month- $1000.00 per month from what I have seen. Your area is pretty expensive so not sure what the prices are now.

On top of that you get all the amenities the park has to offer and sometimes a gated entrance. In the end....you own your trailer as opposed to having nothing after renting an apartment or a condo.

If I was younger I would do that although it would depend on where I lived. South Florida can be brutal in a trailer in the summer....and northern climates would get too cold.

Oh and in all the parks I have been at over the years I have only seen 2 tiny houses. So I have no idea where they all are and I have never seen one on the road. If they are putting them on private land then you would be better off building your own. They are just too expensive.
That's what I was thinking. I've seen tiny houses regularly in the $80,000 range. I can buy a nice quality second hand Bigfoot travel trailer for much less than that.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:24 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,494,602 times
I used to watch Tiny Home Nation. It is like living in a coffin. I do not believe these folks have a good quality of life.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:37 AM

7,080 posts, read 3,778,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skugelstadt View Post
That's what I was thinking. I've seen tiny houses regularly in the $80,000 range. I can buy a nice quality second hand Bigfoot travel trailer for much less than that.
And...parts of it won't fly off, killing the drivers behind you, as you pull it down the interstate! They are aerodynamic for a reason...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or