U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 06:43 AM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 7 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,504,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
To be clear we aren't interested in a tiny home. It was simply an observation after watching a show. I think our 1200 ft is plenty big for 3 people. I cant imagine cleaning more than that !!!
Ha, ha. I hear you. I know a young couple with a new baby who just built a 3500 sq ft house. I know she hates to clean. When she showed me the floor plan I asked her was going to clean it. She shrugged. Now a year later I went visit and yup...no one is cleaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skugelstadt View Post
That's what I was thinking. I've seen tiny houses regularly in the $80,000 range. I can buy a nice quality second hand Bigfoot travel trailer for much less than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
And...parts of it won't fly off, killing the drivers behind you, as you pull it down the interstate! They are aerodynamic for a reason...
Ha, ha...you are right about that. And how many bridges do you think they hit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 12:55 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,842,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I used to watch Tiny Home Nation. It is like living in a coffin. I do not believe these folks have a good quality of life.
According to your standards?
Mr. CSD and I can have a good quality of life living in a TeePee on the side of a glacier in Siberia.
It is not the environment it is who you share the environment with.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:48 PM

13,438 posts, read 24,222,225 times
The cost per SF on those tiny homes is outrageous compared to regular homes. I think people buying them are paying a premium to be 'cool'. But I love the idea of living affordably in a smaller space. I think the time of working 60 hours a week to care for and feed a McMansion is over at last. There are more important things in life.

Several people commented about the loft type sleeping areas. I guess that's fine if you are young and healthy. And don't mind doing the ladder twice if you need to use the facilities in the middle of the night. That's not very practical long term. I think the appeal would wear off quickly. And that loft would be hot in summer and winter!

Clothes would be a problem. Especially if you live in a 4 season climate. And even if you cut your wardrobe to the bone there are still issues. One is you would have to do laundry almost daily! What do you do with parkas and boots?

Personally I would like to see people buy and renovate areas of existing small homes built in the 30's and 40's. Or invest in apartment buildings that cam be converted into small homes or condo-like units. Then you could have your small home and a decent investment too.

300SF is extreme. 800 to 1000 is probably very doable and probably costs LESS!

Old 03-16-2017, 01:49 PM

7,091 posts, read 3,788,271 times
It's exactly the same as living in an inexpensive trailer or even travel trailer/camper/RV only, as you say, that isn't currently cool (there's also a difference in craftsmanship and the quality of the materials as well as aesthetics, I'm sure). Wouldn't it be nice to meet in the middle?

Old 03-16-2017, 04:46 PM

2,621 posts, read 2,028,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skugelstadt View Post
That's what I was thinking. I've seen tiny houses regularly in the $80,000 range. I can buy a nice quality second hand Bigfoot travel trailer for much less than that.
RVs are built to a much lower and lighter duty standard compared to most tiny homes. RVs are more geared towards light weight and traveling more, but you give up in quality and longevity.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:17 PM

4,316 posts, read 2,154,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You can cook a big meal if you want to and you can do much more than just sit in a tiny home.
We used to live in a 21' travel trailer and I used to cook for 9 people every weekend, on the stove, using the oven preparing big meals and everything. I quilted, sewed, read, crocheted and shared the space with Mr. CSD, one 70 pound dog and one 13 pound cat, no outside storage necessary.
One has to be willing to do what is necessary to make themselves comfortable in their surroundings and one should have first hand experience before presenting an all inclusive assumption.

PS ~~ A friend and I also managed to can tomatoes as well........

two people plus a 70 pound dog and a 13 pound cat ?

Living like that would be prison to me.
I would have gotten a tent and let the wife live with the dog and cat .

Old 03-16-2017, 06:48 PM

29,734 posts, read 47,517,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Is a tiny home living really that much cheaper? It doesn't seem so.
I see a lot of articles about them, I do not buy it.

Quote:
... I don't think owning a tiny home would actually be much cheaper than a regular home but anyone want to chime in? Yes you don't have a mortgage for most of them but in its place you're adding lot rental (some up to $1000 a month if you plan on staying in one place longer term), gas, electric, food etc. With this being a fairly new movement also there aren't tons of places allowing these structures to come onto their lots. It feels like whatever you're saving in rent you're making up in lot rental and gas alone. Am I the only one who's thinking this way?
After I retired we migrated to a region of renown low COL

When I read details of 'tiny homes' they are often more expensive than our huge home.

Old 03-17-2017, 03:45 PM

2,469 posts, read 2,727,652 times
Tiny homes are basically expensive trailers (mobile homes). I think it is great to live in a smaller home, tiny homes themselves are much too small for full time living. Most any standard single-wide trailer is larger in square feet than those of these "tiny homes."

If someone is on a budget and taking in other factors, getting an older trailer is probably a better option to save money.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:29 PM

15,195 posts, read 15,225,705 times
Just another scam to make the crapification of the USA seem trendy.

YEEEEHAW, it is supposed to be all neato and stuff to live in a tiny box?????

Old 03-17-2017, 07:45 PM

13,661 posts, read 8,675,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
In theory, the tiny house movement should have resulted in a low cost way to live.

It hasn't because most people looking at them actually could afford more but think the tiny house movement is "trendy"

Thus, since it now appears on TV shows etc, the people promoting saw the opportunity to gouge.
They are the same ones driving a Prius, composting and using cloth bags for grocery shopping. They are on a mission. Cost has very little to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or