U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 08:52 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 12 days ago)

14,430 posts, read 16,715,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
The cost per SF on those tiny homes is outrageous compared to regular homes. I think people buying them are paying a premium to be 'cool'. But I love the idea of living affordably in a smaller space. I think the time of working 60 hours a week to care for and feed a McMansion is over at last. There are more important things in life.

Several people commented about the loft type sleeping areas. I guess that's fine if you are young and healthy. And don't mind doing the ladder twice if you need to use the facilities in the middle of the night. That's not very practical long term. I think the appeal would wear off quickly. And that loft would be hot in summer and winter!

Clothes would be a problem. Especially if you live in a 4 season climate. And even if you cut your wardrobe to the bone there are still issues. One is you would have to do laundry almost daily! What do you do with parkas and boots?

Personally I would like to see people buy and renovate areas of existing small homes built in the 30's and 40's. Or invest in apartment buildings that cam be converted into small homes or condo-like units. Then you could have your small home and a decent investment too.

300SF is extreme. 800 to 1000 is probably very doable and probably costs LESS!
My 1931 house has 720 sf, a quarter of that unused. My house has all the room needed, and the other quarter's devoted to storage. What makes me a fan of the shows are the ways that make a space dual use, and are excellent uses.

Small can be great. Just plan that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 09:18 PM

503 posts, read 227,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Things are expensive but I can hire someone to build a 16x16 tiny house for well under $20,000 and that includes a well and septic. It's still much cheaper than the fad they are trying to sell.

Then again a small cabin is really not that hard to build. Lumber, foundation, framing, roofing are not so bad. Hire someone for plumbing and electrical.
Really? Under $20K? We've built too; just buying a used Case 810 backhoe/loader from a farmer in western Nebraska to dig the leach field was $16K all by itself, let alone buying the permit, tanks, pipes, electrical, pump, pump alarm and fill over that. Our well is very deep, over 1,000 ft. so had to hire that and it was north of $25K after the casing and Gould pump, controller and pressure tank, plumbing and electrical so that shouldn't count I guess ... what did you do, dig your well with a post hole digger?

Agree that those prices are pumped up for the current TV fad though. Spouse and I watch those programs. There is one guy who is a very talented carpenter, forget his name at the moment. We always laugh at the drama of last minute have-to-haves and ridiculous deadlines.

Wouldn't a nice RV fifth-wheel or similar work? You'd still need a workhorse diesel truck to go from location to location anyway and some of those RVs with the pop-outs and larger appliances are pretty snazzy. I always wonder how they get those tiny houses under low tree branches or low hanging stuff like traffic signals.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:31 PM

29,742 posts, read 47,557,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
Tiny homes are basically expensive trailers (mobile homes). I think it is great to live in a smaller home, tiny homes themselves are much too small for full time living. Most any standard single-wide trailer is larger in square feet than those of these "tiny homes."

If someone is on a budget and taking in other factors, getting an older trailer is probably a better option to save money.
I built a large house. We live in a spacious home designed to be self-powered and self-heated. Construction costs were comparable to a much smaller conventional home.

Annual operational costs are less than many of the 'tiny' homes I have seen blogged. Yet we have lots of elbow room [interior of 2400 sq ft, roof footprint 4900 sq ft].

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
They are the same ones driving a Prius, composting and using cloth bags for grocery shopping. They are on a mission. Cost has very little to do with it.
We have a Prius. It is a hybrid plug-in model.

We bought our first Prius when gas prices were climbing. It was a low priced vehicle and we bought it thinking that gas prices were going to continue climbing. That purchase was made based on cost.

Then once we shifted our home to solar-power [not that way more expensive net-metering junk, but honest lower-priced off-grid solar power], we bought a Prius plug-in.

So your post is confusing.

How exactly is it that spending less money, is 'not' about lower cost?

We charge our Prius plug-in from our solar-powered home. By purchasing a less expensive vehicle, we now only consume gas after we have driven so many miles using free fuel.

We spent less to buy our car, so we can spend less on fuel.

Less spending = less spending = less spending.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,839 posts, read 37,540,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowilldo View Post
Really? Under $20K? We've built too; just buying a used Case 810 backhoe/loader from a farmer in western Nebraska to dig the leach field was $16K all by itself, let alone buying the permit, tanks, pipes, electrical, pump, pump alarm and fill over that. Our well is very deep, over 1,000 ft. so had to hire that and it was north of $25K after the casing and Gould pump, controller and pressure tank, plumbing and electrical so that shouldn't count I guess ...t what did you do, dig your well with a post hole digger?

Agree that those prices are pumped up for the current TV fad though. Spouse and I watch those programs. There is one guy who is a very talented carpenter, forget his name at the moment. We always laugh at the drama of last minute have-to-haves and ridiculous deadlines.

Wouldn't a nice RV fifth-wheel or similar work? You'd still need a workhorse diesel truck to go from location to location anyway and some of those RVs with the pop-outs and larger appliances are pretty snazzy. I always wonder how they get those tiny houses under low tree branches or low hanging stuff like traffic signals.
"price of admission for NE"
Cornhusker by birth, prairie kid by culture and childhood, cannot afford to live there in retirement yrs. definately don't die in NE. Funeral lobby will clean you out! long story... but your backhoe may come in handy

5th wheel can be a whole lot nicer, versatile, ez resale, and certainly cheaper than a tiny house.

I build very cheap, but smaller is not cheaper. Still have roof, plumbing, electrical... I'm sure I could do very small home only for $20k. But have no interest in tiny home.
My preference is a BIG shop with tiny apartment, out of the view of tax assessor

Neighbor has a 120'x240' shop (bigger than many city lots) with a very nice apartment. And 80 acres to go with it. Antonym of tiny house... similar concept. Sustainable / practical living for cheap.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:10 PM

3,219 posts, read 1,495,745 times
Rent a small travel trailer and live in for six months.

You will run away screaming.....

Old 03-20-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Rent a small travel trailer and live in for six months.

You will run away screaming.....
Why is that?

Just because a home is small, would make you scream?

I lived underwater for 7 months / year for 20 years.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:56 PM

11,651 posts, read 5,503,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
It's not all about the house. It's all the stuff you stuff into the thing. When we moved into our present home ten years ago, we had all the room in the world. But we've filled it up one Target bag at a time.
The $100 store. Can't go in for just a few things. There is no escape under $100!

Old 03-20-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
The $100 store. Can't go in for just a few things. There is no escape under $100!
If I understand what you are saying, you can not go into a Target without spending $100.

Why is that?

I think I have likely been inside Targets a dozen times, I am not sure if I ever spent $100 at target, lifetime total.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Why is that?

Just because a home is small, would make you scream?

I lived underwater for 7 months / year for 20 years.
You'd have to swim away screaming... then. Grin.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Sounds like Costco... i.e. Costly-co. Another one where you go in to buy a few things and buy way too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or