U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-01-2017, 11:17 PM
 
33,046 posts, read 20,731,344 times
Reputation: 8928

Advertisements

Someone locally is planning tiny houses with rents as low as $300 - in a tight market where room rents run in the neighborhood of $500 - $600.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-02-2017, 12:26 AM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 8 days ago)
 
Location: Cushing OK
14,423 posts, read 16,695,799 times
Reputation: 16435
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I actually tuned in to one of the tiny house shows on HGTV and was pleasantly surprised to find home buyers looking at already existing "tiny" (small; around 600 sf or less) houses. Seems more practical than rolling in something under 100 sf and then hoping the authorities let you set up housekeeping in it within city limits which, in most places, they won't. Something like an old vacation cottage (auto camp, they called them) on a lake or ocean would appeal to me very much. I hope more people consider this alternative and it becomes easier to choose a simpler, scaled down housing option in the not-too-distant future.
Small towns are full of houses in that range. They are mostly kit houses, and extremely sturdy as they were built out of high quality materials often no longer available. People will buy them for the purpose of taking them apart and saving the over 100 year old solid wood which they repurpose. I really wish larger areas like small cities would allow people to build small houses. I have a feeling that despite the deliberate attempts at sturding up the idea that big is good and bigger and more expensive better, there's plenty of people who'd love something smaller and sturdy to live in. People don't complain that apartments are too small, why houses?

There's this interesting show on which is a flipper show, but an unusual one. These older, smaller houses are sold to move. Then the flipper haul them away and repair and redesign. They do the work on a supporting framework so the house when sold is reloaded and driven to its new home. Most of them are smaller than what we'd call 'normal' and many were vacation homes.

I love the idea of saving buildings rather than knocking them down, and the people who buy them are delighted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2017, 07:30 AM
 
7,091 posts, read 3,788,271 times
Reputation: 10580
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Someone locally is planning tiny houses with rents as low as $300 - in a tight market where room rents run in the neighborhood of $500 - $600.
And the city is allowing it? Can you tell me the location?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2017, 07:32 AM
 
7,091 posts, read 3,788,271 times
Reputation: 10580
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Small towns are full of houses in that range. They are mostly kit houses, and extremely sturdy as they were built out of high quality materials often no longer available. People will buy them for the purpose of taking them apart and saving the over 100 year old solid wood which they repurpose. I really wish larger areas like small cities would allow people to build small houses. I have a feeling that despite the deliberate attempts at sturding up the idea that big is good and bigger and more expensive better, there's plenty of people who'd love something smaller and sturdy to live in. People don't complain that apartments are too small, why houses?

There's this interesting show on which is a flipper show, but an unusual one. These older, smaller houses are sold to move. Then the flipper haul them away and repair and redesign. They do the work on a supporting framework so the house when sold is reloaded and driven to its new home. Most of them are smaller than what we'd call 'normal' and many were vacation homes.

I love the idea of saving buildings rather than knocking them down, and the people who buy them are delighted.
As the owner of a 125-year-old tiny house that was "grandfathered" in (they'd never allow anything new that small to be built or placed there), I can tell you that old and sturdy are usually mutually exclusive...


Houses aren't really built to be moved -- esp. very old houses -- although many of the HGTV tiny home buyers seem confused on that point, such as the musician couple who planned to haul their plywood (?) square home from gig to gig. That's what RVs are for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2017, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Sector 001
7,145 posts, read 5,953,480 times
Reputation: 8068
I'd rather rent a really tiny place that was properly soundproofed than a large place where you can hear all your neighbors.

Here's a video that makes tiny home living look plush and sophisticated. I must admit as a night shift worker the bed with the closing door is a nifty idea assuming I didn't suffocate.

[vimeo]109832468[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/109832468

You get more bang for the buck buying more square footage, even in areas where the main price of real estate is the land. There's a middle ground like anything, where you get diminishing returns as you go higher and lower. I own a home because they don't design apartments with good soundproofing. it's that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2017, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
29,738 posts, read 47,517,527 times
Reputation: 17592
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I'd rather rent a really tiny place that was properly soundproofed than a large place where you can hear all your neighbors.
I prefer my nearest neighbors to be a mile [or more] away



Quote:
... Here's a video that makes tiny home living look plush and sophisticated. I must admit as a night shift worker the bed with the closing door is a nifty idea assuming I didn't suffocate.

[vimeo]109832468[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/109832468
Haussmann buildings are unique to downtown Paris. At 24 seconds into the video it says "away from the hustle and bustle of Paris" yet you can distinctly hear traffic and jackhammering.



Quote:
... You get more bang for the buck buying more square footage, even in areas where the main price of real estate is the land. There's a middle ground like anything, where you get diminishing returns as you go higher and lower. I own a home because they don't design apartments with good soundproofing. it's that simple.
It does not say how much rent is for that downtown Paris Haussmann apartment up 7 flights of stairs with only 86 sq ft. But I bet it is still a lot higher rent than here in my town for apartments with 25X more sq footage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2017, 01:01 AM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
22,724 posts, read 21,779,470 times
Reputation: 27792
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I'd rather rent a really tiny place that was properly soundproofed than a large place where you can hear all your neighbors.

Here's a video that makes tiny home living look plush and sophisticated. I must admit as a night shift worker the bed with the closing door is a nifty idea assuming I didn't suffocate.

[vimeo]109832468[/vimeo]
[vimeo]109832468[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/109832468

You get more bang for the buck buying more square footage, even in areas where the main price of real estate is the land. There's a middle ground like anything, where you get diminishing returns as you go higher and lower. I own a home because they don't design apartments with good soundproofing. it's that simple.
It's very well planned and laid out. I can just imagine hitting the second floor and having to wee. Do I go up or down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2017, 07:59 AM
 
Location: USA
6,171 posts, read 4,956,679 times
Reputation: 10548
Those tiny house owners you see on TV seem to be well-off hipsters. Not so much people living under the poverty line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2017, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
29,738 posts, read 47,517,527 times
Reputation: 17592
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Those tiny house owners you see on TV seem to be well-off hipsters. Not so much people living under the poverty line.
We don't have a TV, so I am not sure of what you are seeing.

Is it possible that by lowering their living expenses, they have more money left in their budget for hipster-ism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2017, 08:28 AM
 
6,325 posts, read 8,001,167 times
Reputation: 7924
Tiny house or work space is a cool concept but in reality I don't think it's very practical. It also often depends on having some nice land and good weather because otherwise you're cooped up or have to go out to escape the 4 walls that might feel like they are closing in. Now a 1,000 sq ft space - 1,200 sq ft space is doable and comfortable enough. Combine that with a no-clutter minimalistic design esthetic and that could be very nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top