U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 08:50 AM

6,171 posts, read 4,960,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
We don't have a TV, so I am not sure of what you are seeing.

Is it possible that by lowering their living expenses, they have more money left in their budget for hipster-ism?

I'm just saying, these are people who have chosen to live this way. They could easily afford a McMansion if they wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 04:03 PM

22,745 posts, read 21,804,424 times
Quote:
We don't have a TV, so I am not sure of what you are seeing.

Is it possible that by lowering their living expenses, they have more money left in their budget for hipster-ism?
https://www.google.com/search?q=tiny...rogram&tbm=vid

Old 05-14-2017, 08:24 AM

3,214 posts, read 1,492,540 times
Quote:
Why is that?

Just because a home is small, would make you scream?

I lived underwater for 7 months / year for 20 years.
I suppose it might have been that:

The trailer was in soso condition
It was 40 degrees or colder every day, colder at night
The heater wasn't adequate for the cold
It rained every day, all day, occasional leaks
The beds were very uncomfortable
Very difficult to prepare meals
Not adequate electricity to cook
Had to get water every day

I will never, ever do this again. We wound up selling the land we were going to develope.

No way no how!

Old 05-14-2017, 12:06 PM

29,738 posts, read 47,539,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I'm just saying, these are people who have chosen to live this way. They could easily afford a McMansion if they wanted.
We lived in a 30' travel trailer [30' by 8'] when we were in college. Today we live in a 40' by 60' 'barndominium'. I suspect we consume far less now.

If you enjoy living in a small compact space you certainly may. It is not a guarantee that you will consume less.

Old 05-14-2017, 12:12 PM

29,738 posts, read 47,539,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I suppose it might have been that:

The trailer was in soso condition
It was 40 degrees or colder every day, colder at night
The heater wasn't adequate for the cold
It rained every day, all day, occasional leaks
The beds were very uncomfortable
Very difficult to prepare meals
Not adequate electricity to cook
Had to get water every day

I will never, ever do this again. We wound up selling the land we were going to develope.

No way no how!
A 'soso' home that lacked an adequately designed heating system, with a leaky roof, insufficient kitchen, electrical service and plumbing.

That could be miserable in 1,000 sq ft and equally miserable in 5,000 sq ft.

Old 05-14-2017, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 659 times
It's just me so my 500 sq ft Tiny Home+ large porch+ Garage on 4 acres is perfect.

Gardening, springs, stream, animals, and a large river for swimming is heaven

Electricity cost was $905 mo. now averages less than 1/2 for propane

Cost much less to build.

My garage has an additional room where I conduct my business

Old 05-14-2017, 09:25 PM

7,287 posts, read 15,308,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Tiny house or work space is a cool concept but in reality I don't think it's very practical. It also often depends on having some nice land and good weather because otherwise you're cooped up or have to go out to escape the 4 walls that might feel like they are closing in. Now a 1,000 sq ft space - 1,200 sq ft space is doable and comfortable enough. Combine that with a no-clutter minimalistic design esthetic and that could be very nice.
Saw a sign for a brand new doublewide on your lot today for $49.5K. For which you get that 1,000-1,200 sf home with toilet and bedroom on the same floor, and built to modern HUD code requirements that mandate energy efficiency and, in my area, windstorm standards that are very similar to what you get with stick-build homes.

Yeah, it lacks the hipster cuteness of the tiny house, but if someone is serious about living with a small housing budget, you can go up into the northern part of the county, and get a decent-sized lot in an area where manufactured homes are allowed for probably about $10K- $30K on which to put your budget doublewide. Which gives you IMO a far more comfortable set-up than a designated tiny house that will cost you the same price.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:25 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 10 days ago)

14,426 posts, read 16,706,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
As the owner of a 125-year-old tiny house that was "grandfathered" in (they'd never allow anything new that small to be built or placed there), I can tell you that old and sturdy are usually mutually exclusive...

Houses aren't really built to be moved -- esp. very old houses -- although many of the HGTV tiny home buyers seem confused on that point, such as the musician couple who planned to haul their plywood (?) square home from gig to gig. That's what RVs are for.
That's quite true. My house is not going anywhere But that's fine since its already built and standning sturdy and strong.

I'm not sold on some of the builds people end up with. But it varies by the house. A sturdy build might end up lasting, and I wouldn't say its the size which matters but the sturdyness of the build. I like the ones which are not necessarily mobile best, partly because of that. I wouldn't want to be moving my house.

If my present 1931 house was, I'd leave it right where it was. Not to mention I have a *beautiful* tall tree which is quite old and shades the entire back yard, and several smaller ones which shade the house. That's one of the things I really wanted to see it for, having looked at the pictures online. The house will always be a project, but then I love that idea. This area is very full of old houses, and they're small. Most were built in the 20's and 30's. They require maintaince, but many are very liveable without anything but the normal maintaince costs, like replacing roofs now and then.

What I have really learned from the tiny house shows is ideas about making more functional room in a small area. I've made a few pieces of furnature as well, especially the computer table, which fits nicely in the corner of the living room, and just the right height. In the future I figure I might move, but I do know that I don't want anything big. Nor 'connected'. I hate apartments.... I'd love another little house like this one, or one of those small house builds the same size. One of the plans is a virtual duplicate of my house.

Personally, I did have one 'larger' house. It wasn't large, but bigger than the other ones. I ended up putting unused things in a back room, then shutting the door, and once in a while would get something out of it. But not often, and we donated most of it when we moved. The only stuff I kept was some family heirlooms.

I really think there would be a market for smaller if not fully tiny homes which were well built and inexpensive in comparison to most, and be a great way to provide real housing to people who will never have 200k to spend on a house. Being lower in income should not mean you are doomed to apartments. I believe one reason the tiny house movement is still growing is so many will never be able to afford a 'normal' house unless its falling apart and that's why it was so cheap. And likely can't afford to fix all the stuff it would take.

Not all of us feel comfortable in apartments either. Personally I'd RATHER live in a personalized bus than one... I wouldn't be surrounded by people. Too many people, too up close and personal. Couldn't wait to leave the apartments I've lived in.

There needs to be MORE alternatives for low cost alternative housing, including tiny homes.

I think as more and more interest happens, the movement for small/tiny/new/old homes will continue to grow and will indeed find its nitch. If you can't afford the 'standard house' with all that 'stuff' I'm sure a smaller space that you can claim as your own will do quite well, and much better than an apartment surrounded by people. I feel as much pride in my little house and have plans for it, no differently than if it was a lot bigger. A house is not 'better' because its 'bigger'.

If you want to live in mansion then do, but don't label smaller and alternative versions somehow 'bad' and 'undesirable'.

Last edited by nightbird47; 05-20-2017 at 09:16 PM..

Old 05-20-2017, 09:33 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 10 days ago)

14,426 posts, read 16,706,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I'd rather rent a really tiny place that was properly soundproofed than a large place where you can hear all your neighbors.

Here's a video that makes tiny home living look plush and sophisticated. I must admit as a night shift worker the bed with the closing door is a nifty idea assuming I didn't suffocate.

[vimeo]109832468[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/109832468

You get more bang for the buck buying more square footage, even in areas where the main price of real estate is the land. There's a middle ground like anything, where you get diminishing returns as you go higher and lower. I own a home because they don't design apartments with good soundproofing. it's that simple.
My bedroom is fairly small and I put the queen size bed length wise against the wall. But I'd love to be able to do a murphy bed arraingement with it, folding it up against the wall until its time for bed. With it taking such a big chunk, mostly I get up and shut the door and don't go in there often.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:56 AM

345 posts, read 149,743 times
I really enjoy tiny homes from a design standpoint, it's an interesting problem to contemplate. The trailerable, non site-built ones are usually kind of boring, more like a park model mobile with a loft than anything. The 100th time I clambered down from the 'bedroom' at 2:00AM would be a source of some irritation.

Financially? Meh. In sunny California the cost to build at all, plus all the ladled on modern code issues like energy calcs, fire suppression, etc. really push up the per-house cost of new residential buildings, ratcheting up the sq ft. cost on small places.

If I were single, my temptation would be to build a great big insulated shop with a bathroom and park something like a GMC motorhome in one side. Basically go rogue on the whole deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or