Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 03:21 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times

Advertisements

I'd never live in a tiny house because you can't do anything in them but sit. There's not enough room to cook a big meal and have people over, unless you do it all outside. You can't have any hobbies or do any sports that require supplies or equipment or room to spread out (sewing, quilting, working on any sort of collection you might have, canning, etc.). You could barely get 4 people around a table to play cards. Pets would make it feel very crowded. Before you know it you're paying for storage or junking up the outside, or building a shed to put your stuff in.

I guess if you're truly seeking a meditative life where you want to peacefully sit and contemplate things it would be okay. But whether you save money or not, it isn't a lifestyle I'm interested in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 03:43 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
In theory, the tiny house movement should have resulted in a low cost way to live.

It hasn't because most people looking at them actually could afford more but think the tiny house movement is "trendy"

Thus, since it now appears on TV shows etc, the people promoting saw the opportunity to gouge.
Materials are expensive.

If you can't build your own, labor is expensive too.

Since you are basically just building all the expensive parts of a house in a tiny home, they are easily twice as expensive on a per sqft basis then a regular house, but overall cost is of course much less.

I think a lot of people don't realize how expensive it is to build a house, even a small one.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:47 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Materials are expensive.

If you can't build your own, labor is expensive too.
Things are expensive but I can hire someone to build a 16x16 tiny house for well under $20,000 and that includes a well and septic. It's still much cheaper than the fad they are trying to sell.

Then again a small cabin is really not that hard to build. Lumber, foundation, framing, roofing are not so bad. Hire someone for plumbing and electrical.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Things are expensive but I can hire someone to build a 16x16 tiny house for well under $20,000 and that includes a well and septic. It's still much cheaper than the fad they are trying to sell.
Labor and materials?

LOL

Old 03-15-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Labor and materials?

LOL

Yes...my husband and I have done it twice. Friends have also done it.

Here is an interesting site and they even sell plans:
CountryPlans Design/Build Forum - Index

Old 03-15-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Yes...my husband and I have done it twice. Friends have also done it.

Here is an interesting site and they even sell plans:
CountryPlans Design/Build Forum - Index
No way you are getting a new 16'x16' paid for, labor and materials, of conventional construction and same quality level as those tiny homes with a full kitchen, bathroom, and a well and septic put in for under 20g using professional contracted labor and new off the shelf materials.

If you want to talk price, you have to talk apples to apples. You can't take a professionally done tiny home that is put on the market for resale, look at the cost and then compare it to putting together something with used materials, non professional labor, less quality etc...

Apples to apples it all costs the same. Anything you can do to build a stand alone cheaper, you can do the same with a tiny house.

Last edited by High Altitude; 03-15-2017 at 04:03 PM..

Old 03-15-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
No way you are getting a new 16'x16' paid for, labor and materials, of conventional construction and same quality level as those tiny homes with a full kitchen, bathroom, and a well and septic put in for under 20g using professional labor and new off the shelf materials.

Of course I can. Sorry but we will have to agree to disagree. If someone was really really interested I can price it out.

Check the link...people are doing it all over.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:01 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
If you have to pay lot rental, what's the difference from a mobile home park?

I think the "tiny house" movement is much more about reducing one's focus on possessions than about reducing housing expenses. Most of the accounts I read also involve living in the back yard of a relative and using the relative's house for things like washing clothes, taking baths, etc.

Without doing the numbers I suspect the lowest housing cost is to buy an actual house, very small, in a low cost of living area, taking a small mortgage and paying it off ASAP. Even the smallest conventional house will have features that the "tiny house" doesn't, like normal sized kitchen appliances, a complete bathroom, and a washer/dryer.

I grew up in a 2 bedroom 1 bath house of 930 sq.ft., for example.

The other candidate for lowest housing costs, I expect, is the mobile home on a lot you own outright. But again I haven't done the numbers.
It's not all about the house. It's all the stuff you stuff into the thing. When we moved into our present home ten years ago, we had all the room in the world. But we've filled it up one Target bag at a time.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:07 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
I saw one HGTV show where a couple was pricing tiny homes that cost over $100k.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:19 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I saw the show Tiny house and saw on average people paid 30K for tiny house. You can find a real house in many cities in Midwest for that price with backyard & basement. No need for mobile house. I wish the focus is on moving to low cost area and maybe smaller house like they had 50 years ago. Show that people don't need 2000+ sqft home
I absolutely agree with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living