Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 06:07 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times

Advertisements

We use Roku and mostly stream Netflix, Prime, YouTube, and PBS.

Old 03-25-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I was thinking of the fire stick since it's just a stick and not a piece of equipment that I have to have a place for
The Roku is tiny. Smaller than a cell phone.

Old 03-25-2017, 06:19 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The Roku is tiny. Smaller than a cell phone.
They have different kinds - one is a box. I really prefer my Smart TV (Samsung constantly updates apps), but for the bedroom I was about saving the most money so I got a 'dumb' TV and a blu-ray player that does double-duty as a streaming device.

The Samsung TV is smart enough I don't have to hit 'input' or source, I just hit the smart hub button and after it automatically goes back to antenna when I exit out.

Also, it magically works the blu-ray player. I say magicly because I didn't have to do anything to set that up.

I just accidentally used the Smart TV remote instead of the blu-ray remote and it worked. For all functions.

Old 03-25-2017, 06:21 PM

I preferred to get a comparatively inexpensive small device to replacing my existing TV.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:02 AM

19,194 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Consider a Roku for streaming, and a good HDTV antenna for local broadcast channels.
Yes. This is exactly what I do but I do live fairly close to broadcast towers so it's pretty easy for me to pick up all over the air channels. I have a Roku for some of my "free" streaming sites. I used to have Netflix but cancelled after I found most of the movies I could watch can be found someplace else. (like youtube). I did just finish watching the new season of Grace and Frankie this weekend but I found it online so I couldn't watch it on TV. Still, I didn't mind. I wasn't going to sign up for Netflix again, just to watch this one series.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:28 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Yes. This is exactly what I do but I do live fairly close to broadcast towers so it's pretty easy for me to pick up all over the air channels. I have a Roku for some of my "free" streaming sites. I used to have Netflix but cancelled after I found most of the movies I could watch can be found someplace else. (like youtube). I did just finish watching the new season of Grace and Frankie this weekend but I found it online so I couldn't watch it on TV. Still, I didn't mind. I wasn't going to sign up for Netflix again, just to watch this one series.
I personally wouldn't keep Netflix year round because it goes into kind of a lull once you've watched what you want to and have to wait for new things to be added.

I keep Hulu all the time because it 'replaces' cable for me in the sense that it has most of my broadcast shows, some from basic cable, and movies.

It holds them like a DVR would so I don't have to watch as they air via antenna and put up with commercials. In that sense it's better than cable. Even with a DVR we had to forward through commercials. (so spoiled now with streaming!)

Old 03-27-2017, 09:52 PM

19,194 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I personally wouldn't keep Netflix year round because it goes into kind of a lull once you've watched what you want to and have to wait for new things to be added.

I keep Hulu all the time because it 'replaces' cable for me in the sense that it has most of my broadcast shows, some from basic cable, and movies.

It holds them like a DVR would so I don't have to watch as they air via antenna and put up with commercials. In that sense it's better than cable. Even with a DVR we had to forward through commercials. (so spoiled now with streaming!)
I agree about Netflix. That's why I cancelled. It didn't seem prudent to keep it when I wasn't watching. Never subscribed to Hulu. Not sure why because it seems like a good source for TV viewing.

DVR capabilities would be nice but there's really nothing much that watch that I can't watch while it's being aired. I don't know if it's my age or what but even some of the commercials are pretty funny. I may be the only person left on planet earth that likes them. I do agree with you, though. Streaming full without commercials is really nice.

Until I started looking around for alternative viewing, I didn't realize that Youtube has movies available for purchase. Cheapo that I am, I won't buy them. Instead, I root around the site until I find movies that I like and then subscribe to the member who posts them.

It's actually kind of fun to seek and find new ways to view various TV shows and movies. I have a couple of secret places where I can watch Australian TV (for Wentworth).

Old 03-27-2017, 10:51 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
Just FYI, there's a brand new PBS movie available on PBS.org as of Sunday on the Bronte sisters. Watched it tonight for free. Really good.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:03 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
You Tube

Old 03-28-2017, 05:40 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times
Best alternative to cable TV:

Library card.

Bonus: it's free.

Other FREE alternatives to cable TV:

Take a walk
Pray
Cook dinner
Have sex
Catch up on sleep
Stay late at the office and finish that tedious job you haven't been able to force yourself to do
Practice music
Call some friends and play music together
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living