U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-24-2017, 07:17 PM
 
3,448 posts, read 1,496,541 times
Reputation: 6050

Advertisements

I don't want to get it when I move. I just need Internet and phone for work.
What's the best way to still be able to watch things? I have vizio smart tvs but the apps are lackluster outside of Netflix, prime and Hulu. No fx, HBO, etc. Would something like a fire stick be better?
What's a good cheap digital antenna just for the major networks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-24-2017, 07:26 PM
 
11,632 posts, read 5,477,332 times
Reputation: 11029
You can get HBO a la carte. It's called HBO Now. I get it two months out of the year. you can install it on your smart tv. I just went to the web search bar to hbo.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2017, 07:30 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
10,864 posts, read 18,910,587 times
Reputation: 25118
I have prime and Netflix. I haven't run out of stuff to watch yet. Some of Amazon's shows are really good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2017, 07:32 PM
 
11,632 posts, read 5,477,332 times
Reputation: 11029
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I don't want to get it when I move. I just need Internet and phone for work.
What's the best way to still be able to watch things? I have vizio smart tvs but the apps are lackluster outside of Netflix, prime and Hulu. No fx, HBO, etc. Would something like a fire stick be better?
What's a good cheap digital antenna just for the major networks?
Channel Master Offering $10 Flat Antenna With Paid Shipping | TvTechnology
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2017, 07:35 PM
 
11,632 posts, read 5,477,332 times
Reputation: 11029
There is a website to tell you based on where you live what kind of antenna you need. I live near broadcasting places so this $10 works perfectly. And for me a 'booster' or 'amplifier' would not only be a waste of money, it could distort my signal. So, I have two of these. One in the LR and one in the BR.

I get over 60 channels.

There are (3) channel 8's. I like The Justice Channel - it sort of replaces the I/D channel I had liked on cable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2017, 07:36 PM
 
3,448 posts, read 1,496,541 times
Reputation: 6050
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
You can get HBO a la carte. It's called HBO Now. I get it two months out of the year. you can install it on your smart tv. I just went to the web search bar to hbo.com
Not on my tv. My tv has no apps.
I don't want to pay for HBO, I can use my friends pw. But I thought those fire sticks had a bunch of apps loaded
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2017, 07:38 PM
 
11,632 posts, read 5,477,332 times
Reputation: 11029
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Not on my tv. My tv has no apps.
I don't want to pay for HBO, I can use my friends pw. But I thought those fire sticks had a bunch of apps loaded
I'm sure they do. My Smart TV lets me have HBO. It wasn't a pre-installed app but it let me install it by going to hbo.com

(I had a pw for a while - I want yours! lol)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2017, 07:38 PM
 
3,448 posts, read 1,496,541 times
Reputation: 6050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I have prime and Netflix. I haven't run out of stuff to watch yet. Some of Amazon's shows are really good.
True, but I like to keep up with certain "hot" shows that would get spoiled if I waited
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2017, 07:39 PM
 
11,632 posts, read 5,477,332 times
Reputation: 11029
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
True, but I like to keep up with certain "hot" shows that would get spoiled if I waited
Me too, I get Showtime a la carte via Prime as an add-on part of the year for my favs. Someday, someday, I will get an HBO pw again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2017, 07:42 PM
 
3,448 posts, read 1,496,541 times
Reputation: 6050
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I'm sure they do. My Smart TV lets me have HBO. It wasn't a pre-installed app but it let me install it by going to hbo.com

(I had a pw for a while - I want yours! lol)
No, I'm serious. I must have the worst model. I even googled it cuz I wanted to get fx for Atlanta and the results basically said that this model gets jack for apps.
I know those sticks go cheap but I never really paid attention to what they do.
After Girls ends, I don't think there's anything on HBO. Oh wait, I do like veep.
I just want to try going without it.
Just try to get a friend to trade HBO pw for prime pw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top