U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 02:12 PM

647 posts, read 306,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
My two cents...(from a long-time cook who studies nutrition as a hobby)...

Beans, lentils, fresh veggies, fruits, nuts -- and whole grains such as brown rice, barley, quinoa, wheat berries -- are all your friends.

Get a couple of good vegetarian or semi-vegetarian cookbooks with simple recipes and a decent electric rice cooker with a steamer basket insert.

Once you learn to make some easy sauces (Thai, Japanese, Italian, Indian), you can do delicious one-pot meals in the rice cooker (the veggies steam while the grains are cooking).

You can add some small amounts of meat, fish, or chicken if you wish. As the Asians do.

Not only delicious, frugal -- but very wholesome and healthy.

Also, fresh fruit smoothies with low-fat yogurt and some ground flax seeds added will be fast and good breakfast and/or lunch.

Buy none or few packaged goods, skip the soda and fruit drinks...you pay through the nose for packaging and need none of the chemicals or preservatives in prepared foods.

This is the way we eat and our health and our weight are great. Easy on the budget!
I don't have a rice cooker or know how to use one of those
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 02:15 PM

28,110 posts, read 2,192,400 times
You don't need a rice cooker to cook rice. Google for instructions, stove top or microwave.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:15 PM

So far today I've spent only $7.50
I spent $3 for breakfast at Burger King because I hadn't had time to go to the grocery store yet. For lunch I bought a ham and cheese sandwich from a gas station and a Soda. I have only 1/2 a tank of gas, Premium gas is about $2.50 I think, so I hope I don't have to buy gas in the next 3 days.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:58 PM

13,344 posts, read 7,115,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer705 View Post
I spent $3 for breakfast at Burger King because I hadn't had time to go to the grocery store yet. For lunch I bought a ham and cheese sandwich from a gas station and a Soda. I have only 1/2 a tank of gas, Premium gas is about $2.50 I think, so I hope I don't have to buy gas in the next 3 days.
You've got to be kidding!

Bad on two counts - not nutritious/fatty and expensive!

Old 04-05-2017, 03:12 PM

369 posts, read 206,553 times
Quote:
That leaves you with the very nice amount of $17.50 to spend over the next two days. Piece of cake! And no, that's not a suggestion of food to buy.

You just need to plan how you need and want to spend that money. If you think you will need gas, set that amount aside. If there are any other little expenses that will likely come up over the next two days, something like a road toll you pay every day, then set aside that amount too. Always leave yourself a little cushion "just in case." Never be caught short. What's left will be what you have to spend on food.

Look online at the sales flyers for the grocery stores near you. Also look at any flyers for drug stores such as Walgreens, which often have good sales and coupons on things like milk, eggs, and canned food like tuna. Plan your shopping list around the sales.

With only two days left on your frugal budget, you won't need a lot of food. Pick a few things you know you'll use and buy them. If you are taking your lunch to work, you need to take that into consideration. Sandwiches perhaps? Then get some bread and something to go in between the slices (tuna, peanut butter, cheese, etc.) Maybe some fruit on sale, or just get the old standby of cheap bananas. Maybe buy one of the salad mixes and have salad every day. Just wash the salad and add a little olive oil or dressing that you have on hand. Get some eggs, which are easy to scramble or hard boil, and you'll have more than enough.

Old 04-05-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
You've got to be kidding!

Bad on two counts - not nutritious/fatty and expensive!
fatty? hows that fatty? Seems very inexpensive to me, I spent $3 for breakfast and $2.50 for lunch, that's like $18 less than usual lol.
I'll cook my own dinner I guess, very bad time to do it as we're under tornado watch, this is the time where grocery stores are filled and water is marked up to $8.50.

Old 04-05-2017, 05:22 PM

17,976 posts, read 17,131,123 times
Quote:
fatty? hows that fatty? Seems very inexpensive to me, I spent $3 for breakfast and $2.50 for lunch, that's like $18 less than usual lol.
I'll cook my own dinner I guess, very bad time to do it as we're under tornado watch, this is the time where grocery stores are filled and water is marked up to $8.50.
Burger King food isn't real food. It's fat and fillers and who knows what else? Sorry that you've got the tornado watch--that's scary. You can make some nice sandwiches from canned tuna with a bit of mayo and a few slices of fresh tomato. You can use the rest of the tomato in a BLT. (The lettuce and tomato are healthy.) You can make grilled cheese sandwiches if you want something warm--butter the bread on the outside, insert cheese and sliced tomatoes, place in hot frying pan with butter or oil. Turn. Done.

If you have eggs, you can scramble them and throw some chopped up tomato in with it or any other bits of leftover vegetables. You need vegetables to stay healthy. You can boil the eggs too--put some in a pan of water, boil for 8-10 minutes, put them into cold water. To crack the shells, whack them with the back of a spoon and then roll each egg between your hands to loosen the shells. Peel them and eat them. Chop them up and add some to a salad--lots of uses for eggs--and they are good for you.

Let us know how you are doing.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:44 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times
Eating really cheap will come back to bite you in the future, especially if you're eating the dollar menu at fast food places.

You can cook decently at home for less than the amount you spend on restaurants, but at first you'll need spices and oils and some pans and other kitchen tools. Right now you're setting yourself up for failure, by starting with an unnecessarily low budget when you don't already have the basics. Learning to cook now will save you money for the rest of your life, but only if you enjoy it enough to continue, and only if you spend enough to include protein and vegetables.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:41 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,810,962 times
What types of food do you normally eat during your $15 meals? Is it somewhat healthier? I think if you try to recreate some of that taste, eating at home will be easier on you.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:12 AM
RHB

1,096 posts, read 1,830,740 times
Fun Challenge - since you are basically starting with nothing (no core pantry items)

A loaf of bread - something you need to slice - I'm thinking Italian
A dozen eggs
A small package of chicken quarters - as you do more you can use chicken breasts and have other options - You will boil them to cook and save the broth.
A couple of salad mixes - some have dressing in them, if you plan to keep doing some of this maybe invest in a bottle of dressing
Set aside $5 for gas - you didn't say how far you drive to work - so only if you need it
box of pasta
cheap can of sauce
The rest on other veggies

Your menu -
Breakfast:
Fried egg sandwich
Hard boiled eggs
omelet - using rest of veggies

Lunch -
Chicken salad - pull some of the chicken off the bone and add to salad mix, and some extra veggies
Egg salad sandwich - using some extra (I always think there is too much dressing in those packs) salad dressing as 'mayo'
Left over soup with bread

Dinner -
Pasta and salad
Chicken veggie soup - using more chicken pulled off bone, and saved broth, veggies and heels of bread.
Chicken parm pasta - add some chicken to you left over pasta and reheat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living