U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 06:29 AM

27,798 posts, read 24,859,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer705 View Post
I don't have a rice cooker or know how to use one of those
buy one - a smaller one

costs about $15

Add 1 cup of jasmine rice to 1 1/2 cup h20, hit cook....done in about 10 mins....best appliance I have.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Elite-Cui...ooker/21554252
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 06:32 AM

Quote:
So far today I've spent only $7.50
I spent $3 for breakfast at Burger King because I hadn't had time to go to the grocery store yet. For lunch I bought a ham and cheese sandwich from a gas station and a Soda. I have only 1/2 a tank of gas, Premium gas is about $2.50 I think, so I hope I don't have to buy gas in the next 3 days.
Pretty crappy diet. Do this for a couple of decades and you got this

Old 04-06-2017, 06:50 AM

5,119 posts, read 9,413,466 times
Quote:
I don't have a rice cooker or know how to use one of those
Simple and easy to use. Mine has one switch -- turn to "cook" to cook, then it turns itself to "warm" when grains are done cooking. If not cooking grains (also good for steaming potatoes or sweet potatoes)

Mine is not digital. Fewer components to break.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
So far today I've spent only $7.50
I spent $3 for breakfast at Burger King because I hadn't had time to go to the grocery store yet. For lunch I bought a ham and cheese sandwich from a gas station and a Soda. I have only 1/2 a tank of gas, Premium gas is about $2.50 I think, so I hope I don't have to buy gas in the next 3 days.
Your future just might have obesity, high blood pressure and heart disease in it. Learn to make smoothies, cook with grains and vegetables, or learn to live with ill health. You'll find doctors, hospitals and pills are much more expensive than wholesome food. Your choice.

Sounds as though you don't want to learn. I wonder why?

Old 04-06-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Simple and easy to use. Mine has one switch -- turn to "cook" to cook, then it turns itself to "warm" when grains are done cooking. If not cooking grains (also good for steaming potatoes or sweet potatoes)

Mine is not digital. Fewer components to break.
I'm getting the feeling we're being "put on".....

Old 04-06-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I'm getting the feeling we're being "put on".....
Yep, know what you mean. Asks advice and says cooking isn't his thing. And seems he doesn't want to learn. Waste of time.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:07 PM

647 posts, read 307,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Yep, know what you mean. Asks advice and says cooking isn't his thing. And seems he doesn't want to learn. Waste of time.
What? I actually cooked boneless chicken and rice last night and spent $4 on it it was pre seasoned too.
Today for lunch I made myself a PBJ which costed me like $3. And I bought a soda and a pack of gummy bears from a vending machine which was $2. I also bought a pack of waffles for the toaster for $3
That leaves me with $5.50 for tomorrow. I don't have anything left besides bread, peanut butter and Jelly so I'm probably going to make something with the bread. I might buy some cheese and have a grilled cheese for lunch tomorrow and I'm set for the entire day!

Old 04-06-2017, 02:25 PM

16,729 posts, read 20,470,484 times
You don't have to cook, if you don't want to.

Some tricks I use: Just buy the sandwich and not the fries or drink.

Buy bottled water by the gallon or bigger, and fill up your own smaller water bottle. Same for whatever beverage you like to drink. I like iced green tea. I make my own, but you don't have to. Just buy it by the gallon and fill up your own containers. Always have one with you so you don't buy a bottle somewhere that costs too much.

When you eat out, do it where you don't have to tip. Or get take-out at the counter, where you don't have to tip.

Buy better gas. I just learned this. I always thought the more expensive gas at Chevron and Shell was just a gimmick. Turns out, I accidentally learned that I get way better gas mileage and my little old truck runs way better on Chevron with Techron. Who knew?

You can get healthy fast food. There's the lunch specials at Togo's or Subway places.

Buy microwave dinners when they're on sale.

Buy a roasted chicken at Walmart or Safeway. Easy, yummy sandwiches or just to eat. You can get several meals out of one.

I don't know if you have these where you live, but Grocery Outlet has amazing prices. They're like a food thrift store. They get random deals on stuff, so you never know what they'll have. But, 9 times out of 10 it's much cheaper than anywhere else.

Oh, and make your own coffee. Or if you go to Starbucks, just buy regular coffee and not the expensive frapuccino types.

Don't order alcohol when you go out to eat - unless it's a really special occasion. Have a drink at home first, or wait until you get home.

Buy box wine. It's really just as good :-)

Old 04-06-2017, 03:09 PM

13,432 posts, read 24,204,419 times
You need to learn to cook. Google and youtube are your friends. You don't just do this overnight. Check out a local thrift store and get a rice cooker and a crockpot. Bigger is better so you have leftovers and lunches.

Forget the stores where bread and cheese are $25. Just don't walk in the door. Start acquiring spices. They make food much more tasty. Go beyond salt and pepper. And containers that are reusable for leftovers and lunches. You need a cutting board, decent knife, and utensils too.

Bucfan posted a picture and it's true. If you continue to live on crap food this is what you will look like at 40 or so. Learning to cook needs to be a priority. After all what's the use of working your butt off if you will be dead from a heart attack at 50? You need to eat real food.

I usually cook one day every 2 weeks. I trash and clean the kitchen once and store everything in containers. Do you have a friend who is a good cook? Invite them over to look at what you have and make recommendations on what you need and meals to start with. Or take a cooking class. This is a lifetime investment so you need to do it right.

Doesn't say where you live but if there are 99centsOnly Stores near you, check them out.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
What? I actually cooked boneless chicken and rice last night and spent $4 on it it was pre seasoned too.
Today for lunch I made myself a PBJ which costed me like $3. And I bought a soda and a pack of gummy bears from a vending machine which was $2. I also bought a pack of waffles for the toaster for $3
That leaves me with $5.50 for tomorrow. I don't have anything left besides bread, peanut butter and Jelly so I'm probably going to make something with the bread. I might buy some cheese and have a grilled cheese for lunch tomorrow and I'm set for the entire day!
Here's the deal. You say you buy premium gas for your car....

But you're putting sub-standard fuel into your own body.

Your diet lacks whole fruits and vegetables.

Your diet lacks whole grains.

Your diet is high in sugar (soda and gummy bears).

You think more about your car than you do your own body.

Take better care of your body now or have a major break down in your future.

PS The chicken -- if white meat w/o the skin and not fried) and the rice (if brown and not white) are a good start. Peanut butter is not bad if put on whole grain bread and not white bread...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living