U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 03:15 PM

2,321 posts, read 1,056,053 times

Advertisements

walmart has tons of food, and their veggie section is pretty good too-

get some 99cent eggs (a dozen) and some bacon- you can have bacon and eggs and toast for breakfast (next time you go out get some free jam from them and you have jam/ jelly for your toast)--

cheap ground beef- I picked up 2 10b packs for $1.50/lb--

ground beef in sphagetti sauce- over noodles- even ramen if spagetti is too hard

(green salad on the side for veggies, or organic carrots if you buy 15lbs, they can be had for 50cents a pound)....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 03:49 PM

13,362 posts, read 7,121,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer705 View Post
fatty? hows that fatty? Seems very inexpensive to me, I spent $3 for breakfast and $2.50 for lunch, that's like $18 less than usual lol.
I'll cook my own dinner I guess, very bad time to do it as we're under tornado watch, this is the time where grocery stores are filled and water is marked up to $8.50.
See - you're already with a bad attitude. $3 is cheap compared to Denny's - NOT cheap in terms of eggs and toast at home.

And you're finding excuses to not cook - tornado watch is nothing - tornado WARNING means one has actually been sighted. And no, prices aren't marked up for tornadoes because they come and go in tops an hour - you're thinking hurricanes! lol

Old 04-06-2017, 04:10 PM

27,798 posts, read 24,859,410 times
Quote:
What? I actually cooked boneless chicken and rice last night and spent $4 on it it was pre seasoned too.
Today for lunch I made myself a PBJ which costed me like $3. And I bought a soda and a pack of gummy bears from a vending machine which was $2. I also bought a pack of waffles for the toaster for $3
That leaves me with $5.50 for tomorrow. I don't have anything left besides bread, peanut butter and Jelly so I'm probably going to make something with the bread. I might buy some cheese and have a grilled cheese for lunch tomorrow and I'm set for the entire day!
I'd say other than the boneless chicken/rice deal, you're not have a very nutritious "frugal" diet and could do a lot better with some planning and putting a few things in a tupperware for lunch at work. Vending machines for drinks, candy isn't the way to go.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:59 PM

16,725 posts, read 20,470,484 times
Yikes with all of you jamming the advise to cook.

Not everyone wants to cook.

Plus, it means more pots and pans to wash, and possibly more dishes and silverware, too.

So, listen to the OP.

It's not necessary to learn how to cook. You can eat out or buy food to heat up at home for cheap, that will be healthy.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:11 AM

10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Yikes with all of you jamming the advise to cook.

Not everyone wants to cook.

Plus, it means more pots and pans to wash, and possibly more dishes and silverware, too.

So, listen to the OP.

It's not necessary to learn how to cook. You can eat out or buy food to heat up at home for cheap, that will be healthy.
If you're trying to live on $8.33/day including gas for your car, it's helpful if you know how to cook. I guess you could live off tv dinners and frozen waffles but that's not the healthiest.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:28 AM

647 posts, read 307,034 times
For dinner I bought 1.5lbs of beef for like $3 and then I bought more rice for so I spent $4 leaving me with $2.50 for the next 12 hours I was going to do the thing CaJerseyChick recommended but I couldn't find spaghetti so I just got rice.
Can't wait til this is over, it's very stressful and boring;

Old 04-07-2017, 06:54 AM

13,362 posts, read 7,121,412 times
Quote:
For dinner I bought 1.5lbs of beef for like $3 and then I bought more rice for so I spent $4 leaving me with $2.50 for the next 12 hours I was going to do the thing CaJerseyChick recommended but I couldn't find spaghetti so I just got rice.
Can't wait til this is over, it's very stressful and boring;
So what was the point of this exercise? See if you could rough it for a couple days? I think you're better suited to buying a box of Ding Dongs and calling it a day. Cheap, delicious, not healthy but 2 outta 3 ain't bad.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:25 AM
RHB

1,096 posts, read 1,830,969 times
For me - it doesn't matter what the OP goal was. It was fun for me to figure a meal plan when you start with nothing.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:34 AM

14,970 posts, read 8,536,771 times
25 dollars for 3 days?

I read of some frugal people that spend less than that for 3 days.

Myself, I could spend less than 25 dollars for 3 days eating.

We have a nice cafeteria at work. Yesterday I had a whole small pizza, a big pasta salad, and a chocolate chip cookie for around 7 bucks. I was stuffed, and while I ate dinner, I could easily have gone without dinner and been fine until next day.

So a meal at cafeteria per day, easily doable for me coming under 25 dollars budget.

I also have some almonds at home I can snack on after work if I feel like it.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:16 AM

647 posts, read 307,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
So what was the point of this exercise? See if you could rough it for a couple days? I think you're better suited to buying a box of Ding Dongs and calling it a day. Cheap, delicious, not healthy but 2 outta 3 ain't bad.
Yeah the point was to give me something to do. 8 more hours and I'm through, very exciting, gives me something to look forward to!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living