Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 05:31 PM

3,532 posts, read 2,992,345 times

Advertisements

Let's say you could only spend $10 on food for the entire week, what would you get?
You are only feeding yourself and have spices, condiments, oil, sweeteners, coffee, tea, water and dry baking ingredients on hand.
What's your shopping list? You can use the lowest price you've previously bought/seen the items
I would get
5 lbs potatoes $1.29
8 oz chive cream cheese 1.50
Pint of milk .59
Flour tortillas .99
Pinto beans 1.00
Lettuce or salad mix 1.00
Dry pasta .59
Canned tomatoes .33
Lentils .69
Rice .79
onion .33
Celery/carrots .50
Total $9.60
If I could find a lower price or coupons and free up a little more I'd add
1/2 dozen eggs

Pretty carb heavy. I guess if I was at the store at the right time, I'd swap some of the pasta/rice for the marked down vegetables and make a soup for a few days worth of food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 05:50 PM

16,368 posts, read 30,098,489 times
Or you could sit down and develop a reasonable budget for a healthy diet and live buy that.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:15 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,654,275 times
Eggs,bread,peanut butter, cheese.

Scrambled eggs
Grilled cheese
Peanut butter sandwiches
Toast

Old 02-18-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Or you could sit down and develop a reasonable budget for a healthy diet and live buy that.
Chill out, it's just for fun. I can't eat like that long term. Party pooper.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
Eggs,bread,peanut butter, cheese.
I would probably make bread from the pantry items but I'd have to get some eggs. Now that I'm thinking about it, I could probably get rid of the starches except potatoes and get some bone in chicken breast, vegetables and make better use of the pantry goods.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:34 PM

6,749 posts, read 5,439,098 times
This could be a fun game,

but I'd include SOME MEAT, like on sale chicken, lean ground beef or something, you need some protein as well as carbs.

I'll have to check the sales paper tomorrow and get back to you.

ANd a homemade soup is good, but I don't want to eat soup all week, every week.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
This could be a fun game,

but I'd include SOME MEAT, like on sale chicken, lean ground beef or something, you need some protein as well as carbs.

I'll have to check the sales paper tomorrow and get back to you.

ANd a homemade soup is good, but I don't want to eat soup all week, every week.

Yeah, I think bone in chicken would be good cuz you can get a few meals from the meat and use the bones for a broth and use it for soup or a sauce base.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:18 PM

I wanted to add that you can't use any free items except the listed. This includes your garden, any food bearing trees, hunting, things given to you, coffee creamer swiped from the gas station, etc

Old 02-18-2017, 07:25 PM

6,749 posts, read 5,439,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Yeah, I think bone in chicken would be good cuz you can get a few meals from the meat and use the bones for a broth and use it for soup or a sauce base.
Exactly what I was thinking/meant/and do.

One can roast a chicken for one or two meals, then debone it, boil the bones, wingtips, gibblets, and neck for broth for a soup; and boil the veggie discards separately for another {vegetable} broth for later use; and make chicken/veggie soup. The leftover veggies from the broth don't have much left, but could still be added to a compost heap. If there is still left over soup, one can thicken it with flour or corn starch for a chicken/vegetable stew.

Growing some herbs- even in a pot on the windowsill- can add an abundance of flavor!

3 types of meals out of one chicken and a few veggies!

I do the same with a chuck roast {or any marked down beef piece}. If you get it with a bone in, you can make a soup/stew base by boiling it {OR; use the veggie broth as noted above for a boneless piece}, then dice any left over roast and make a soup with veggies,and later a stew if any is left over.

Alternate the two and you have a week's worth of meals with just a chicken, a small roast and some veggies {a bag of onions, cellery, carrots go a long way}.

with veggies, Healthy. Cheap too!

Old 02-18-2017, 09:20 PM

23,541 posts, read 70,002,536 times
Those prices vary greatly in different areas of the country. Also, people do have dietary requirements that can be unique.

You listed oil and spices, sweeteners, dry baking ingredients, and some more.

That means with a dozen eggs and some milk you can have bread, flour tortillas, cookies, cake, biscuits, sub rolls, pizza dough, dumplings, pasta. You can make mayonnaise. Milk is easily made into cottage cheese or yogurt.

I agree that chicken is likely the least expensive meat with the most flexibility.

Onion, celery and carrot are the basis of many dishes.

Eight bucks tops without even breaking a sweat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living