U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 10:22 AM

3,829 posts, read 2,897,741 times

Advertisements

Because we live in a society that is fixated on the notion of conspicuous consumption. In most developed economies around the world your worth as a human being is predicated on what you own. Behind every reckless spender there is a pending disaster of financial ruin.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:38 AM

27,798 posts, read 24,852,825 times
I recently attended a huge pro tennis event and sat in $100/seat tickets, something I occasionally (more like once every 3-5 yrs) do. I looked around and noticed a lot of others who did the same. I'm wondering how many of them paid for their tickets and their $10 beers on their "card" and have huge debt.

I'm figuring many if not most.

I could be wrong.

Point is, these people who are reckless with their spending probably outnumber frugal folks by a lot. We have a country of spenders - good for the economy, but rotten for them as they amass huge personal debt.

I like the frugal person who has the self discipline not to get into debt. It's really a virtuous trait.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:42 AM

27,798 posts, read 24,852,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Because we live in a society that is fixated on the notion of conspicuous consumption. In most developed economies around the world your worth as a human being is predicated on what you own. Behind every reckless spender there is a pending disaster of financial ruin.
I love watching sports on TV and only recently noticed the brainwashing the TV (and other media) has on the public. You need to have the latest automobile, the latest golf equipment, the best cell phone, etc etc. It's no wonder our population doesn't have a pot to **** in.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/aver...ebt-household/

Old 04-06-2017, 06:48 AM

15,664 posts, read 18,206,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Why is it Person A will always get ridiculed for being cheap and pretty nothing is ever said to Person B for being in debt, as they are living life to the fullest, but are in debt up to their eyes and if they lost their job, they would be homeless in a month.
Because Person B lives closer to the lifestyle that is glamorized by Hollywood and the media.

Frugal people will always face an uphill battle against American pop culture.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:52 AM

3,266 posts, read 2,335,410 times
I never see grownups ridiculing other people for how they spend/don't spend their money.

I'm not trying to be a smart a**, but if you see it all the time, maybe you need to hang out with different people?

Old 04-06-2017, 07:06 AM

64,530 posts, read 66,075,955 times
i don't see frugal people ridiculed , until they cross the line to cheapness where they effect others around them in a negative way .

i worked with someone like that who made his wife suffer with out air conditioning because he was to cheap to buy one because he didn't want the expense of running it .

Old 04-06-2017, 09:35 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,338,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
And guess who Person B will go running to when he needs money?
Yes, this incredibly annoying. Several people have borrowed from us who were reckless with their own money, then took their sweet a** time paying it back. People seem to live on the margins of what they can afford and even after going through financial difficulty, go right back to that lifestyle.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:31 AM

491 posts, read 230,648 times
Frugal people don't associate with people who are spendthrifters. Personally, I don't think either side should be criticizing the other. I mean it's okay to prefer one lifestyle over another, but I don't understand why people have to hate each other for it. People shouldn't be getting ridiculed because of it.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:48 AM

437 posts, read 356,842 times
Some people humble-brag about their frugality, as if it makes them superior to everybody else. I find them as irritating as people who brag about how much they exercise, and how it makes them superior to people who don't.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:55 AM

13,104 posts, read 17,634,355 times
Okay let us not forget the person who grew up poor and now is over compensating for it . Say their parents never owned a home , their parents struggled to feed them ,put clothes and shoes on them and now they are making up for it and spending willy nilly etc. 900 for a new sofa because they don't like the 3 yr old one ? and say they bought a new refrigerator for 1500.00 cause it is the latest and greatest , new cell phone 800.00 ? what do you say about that ? I think that is over compensating and trying to make up for not having things in childhood it could be a sickness though also I don't know , but I do know a person like this . They also go out and eat and spend 75.00 and not blink an eye at it. I do agree though that this is a person who is one step away from a financial disaster they have no savings and they spend every dime they earn . What do you call that ? not frugal by any means .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or