U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-06-2017, 01:48 PM
 
1,717 posts, read 1,169,913 times
Reputation: 2831

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I know many Person B's. When they go out to eat, its nothing for them to spend $50+ a person while a Person A meal is $10-20, they have been paying off that same credit card for years, they have a $500+ car payment, owe on store credits, have a poor credit score, take expensive vacations and dont have any sort of emergency fund or savings and live paycheck to paycheck.

Some of the posters in the frugal section have never or refuse to spend $10-20 on a meal. Whenever I read about how low a monthly food budget can get I want to throw up and am embarrassed about how this topic can be in the frugal section. No wonder people ridicule frugality.

 
Old 04-06-2017, 02:02 PM
 
589 posts, read 351,878 times
Reputation: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I see it all the time.

Person A is frugal: you are cheap, a penny pincher, you need to live your live, you cant take it with you when you die etc.

I agree to live your life,as you cant take it with you when you die, but I have always been more of a basic lifestyle living and having a rainy day fund just in case.


Person B spends like nothing: Has a bunch of credit card debt, store card debt, massive car loans and has no savings at all.

I know many Person B's. When they go out to eat, its nothing for them to spend $50+ a person while a Person A meal is $10-20, they have been paying off that same credit card for years, they have a $500+ car payment, owe on store credits, have a poor credit score, take expensive vacations and dont have any sort of emergency fund or savings and live paycheck to paycheck.


Why is it Person A will always get ridiculed for being cheap and pretty nothing is ever said to Person B for being in debt, as they are living life to the fullest, but are in debt up to their eyes and if they lost their job, they would be homeless in a month.

I don't see it. Spendthrifts/living-above-their-means types are ridiculed way more IMO. But everyone wants to see themselves as the victim and/or the hero. My grandfather was a penny pincher, and by God if he didn't want you to recognize it and give him credit for it.
 
Old 04-06-2017, 03:07 PM
 
Location: SW Florida
9,144 posts, read 6,329,250 times
Reputation: 12709
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I love watching sports on TV and only recently noticed the brainwashing the TV (and other media) has on the public. You need to have the latest automobile, the latest golf equipment, the best cell phone, etc etc. It's no wonder our population doesn't have a pot to **** in.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/aver...ebt-household/
Yeah, it's called "marketing", and what's always gotten me about it is the way they tie in an assumption that having the latest and greatest whatever they're peddling will make the consumer a smarter, more popular, better looking, more successful individual. It's a pretty subtle message sometimes but it seems too many people buy into it.

I spent way too many years having to watch my nickels and determined not to be sunk in debt, to fall for that must have mentality. It's gotten to be second nature at this point in my life, although now if I really want something, I can generally afford it without going into debt.
 
Old 04-06-2017, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Central IL
13,345 posts, read 7,115,490 times
Reputation: 31033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I see it all the time.

Person A is frugal: you are cheap, a penny pincher, you need to live your live, you cant take it with you when you die etc.

I agree to live your life,as you cant take it with you when you die, but I have always been more of a basic lifestyle living and having a rainy day fund just in case.


Person B spends like nothing: Has a bunch of credit card debt, store card debt, massive car loans and has no savings at all.

I know many Person B's. When they go out to eat, its nothing for them to spend $50+ a person while a Person A meal is $10-20, they have been paying off that same credit card for years, they have a $500+ car payment, owe on store credits, have a poor credit score, take expensive vacations and dont have any sort of emergency fund or savings and live paycheck to paycheck.


Why is it Person A will always get ridiculed for being cheap and pretty nothing is ever said to Person B for being in debt, as they are living life to the fullest, but are in debt up to their eyes and if they lost their job, they would be homeless in a month.
Who cares? He who laughs last, laughs loudest.
 
Old 04-06-2017, 04:06 PM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
27,798 posts, read 24,852,825 times
Reputation: 14611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
although now if I really want something, I can generally afford it without going into debt.
Same here. I really didn't fall for it except living in Europe and constantly bombarded w/ car ads geared toward military members over there by BMW, Volvo, Saab. I felt since I worked hard, that I'd reward myself w/ a nice car. Not necessary though. And nice cars tend to have have high maintenance costs.
 
Old 04-07-2017, 05:41 AM
 
Location: SW Florida
9,144 posts, read 6,329,250 times
Reputation: 12709
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Same here. I really didn't fall for it except living in Europe and constantly bombarded w/ car ads geared toward military members over there by BMW, Volvo, Saab. I felt since I worked hard, that I'd reward myself w/ a nice car. Not necessary though. And nice cars tend to have have high maintenance costs.
LOL, guess they see the nice car owners coming and figure they can afford jacked up maintenance costs too.

I can understand deciding to reward yourself for working hard with an item you really want, nice car or whatever it is. I've done it too, although with a more modestly priced new car-there was that one year old sporty little Acura Integra we got for a great price, it had been sitting on the lot for one year without being sold. I sure felt great driving that car and loved it, till my daughter totaled it in an accident 10 yrs later (not her fault, thank goodness she was ok).

I'd love another Acura, but being good part Frugal A by nature and retired really can't find it in me to justify it.
 
Old 04-08-2017, 12:27 AM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
22,696 posts, read 21,741,083 times
Reputation: 27747
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Because Person B lives closer to the lifestyle that is glamorized by Hollywood and the media.

Frugal people will always face an uphill battle against American pop culture.
That sounds like too much work. Maybe they just walk a level path and deviate once in a while when they feel like it.
 
Old 04-08-2017, 04:24 PM
 
11,609 posts, read 5,449,768 times
Reputation: 10980
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Okay let us not forget the person who grew up poor and now is over compensating for it . Say their parents never owned a home , their parents struggled to feed them ,put clothes and shoes on them and now they are making up for it and spending willy nilly etc. 900 for a new sofa because they don't like the 3 yr old one ? and say they bought a new refrigerator for 1500.00 cause it is the latest and greatest , new cell phone 800.00 ? what do you say about that ? I think that is over compensating and trying to make up for not having things in childhood it could be a sickness though also I don't know , but I do know a person like this . They also go out and eat and spend 75.00 and not blink an eye at it. I do agree though that this is a person who is one step away from a financial disaster they have no savings and they spend every dime they earn . What do you call that ? not frugal by any means .
I have a relative like this. She has managed to blow through a large inheritance and is now raking up her credit cards just as she did when she had a good income, but not enough for her lifestyle. But part of her lifestyle IS helping other people. People with less money who need things they can't afford. It's not all on her stuff, but the over-compensating I think is going on - she LOVES to throw things away and rolls her eyes at any measure taken to be frugal. By people who have to be on their incomes. That part I don't get.
 
Old 04-08-2017, 04:26 PM
 
11,609 posts, read 5,449,768 times
Reputation: 10980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Some of the posters in the frugal section have never or refuse to spend $10-20 on a meal. Whenever I read about how low a monthly food budget can get I want to throw up and am embarrassed about how this topic can be in the frugal section. No wonder people ridicule frugality.
?? so it's only frugal section for a certain level of frugal and those on a really low income or who are huge savers for other life goals should not post?
 
Old 04-08-2017, 05:16 PM
 
3,039 posts, read 989,944 times
Reputation: 1245
I don't let if bother me at all and referred to as cheap by several coworkers which means I spend money wisely.

Last edited by moneymkt; 04-08-2017 at 05:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top