U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 09:53 PM

3,962 posts, read 1,590,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I see it all the time.

Person A is frugal: you are cheap, a penny pincher, you need to live your live, you cant take it with you when you die etc.

I agree to live your life,as you cant take it with you when you die, but I have always been more of a basic lifestyle living and having a rainy day fund just in case.

Person B spends like nothing: Has a bunch of credit card debt, store card debt, massive car loans and has no savings at all.

I know many Person B's. When they go out to eat, its nothing for them to spend $50+ a person while a Person A meal is $10-20, they have been paying off that same credit card for years, they have a $500+ car payment, owe on store credits, have a poor credit score, take expensive vacations and dont have any sort of emergency fund or savings and live paycheck to paycheck.

Why is it Person A will always get ridiculed for being cheap and pretty nothing is ever said to Person B for being in debt, as they are living life to the fullest, but are in debt up to their eyes and if they lost their job, they would be homeless in a month.
Probably because the overspenders don't strut around with an overweening sense of personal virtue.

Hope that helps.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:10 AM

33,046 posts, read 20,708,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Some of the posters in the frugal section have never or refuse to spend $10-20 on a meal. Whenever I read about how low a monthly food budget can get I want to throw up and am embarrassed about how this topic can be in the frugal section. No wonder people ridicule frugality.

I don't think I've ever spent $20 on a meal. My idea of dining out is "two double cheeseburgers, no drink" (in walking distance of my workplace) at McDonald's when I have to work a double shift.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Plenty of people will judge someone who spends money.

Either way, though, it's nobody else's business.

Sure it is. When big spenders move into my neighborhood, home prices and rents go up, which means more money out of MY pocket.

It's like Bill Cosby said in some old TV commercial, "it's MY money" at stake here.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Frugal is a bang for your buck or amount of quality you get for the amount you spend. It doesn't all translate into dollars and cents . There is a quality of life that comes with it. Like in the who will spend $10-$20 on a meal comments. The amount of money that provides a better life for one person may be a lowering of standards for another. Frugal is an individual experience depending upon your own particular circumstance.

That's debatable. If Johnny lives luxuriously for cheap (say $100/mo) with parents and Joey pays $500/mo to rent a room in a flophouse, is Johnny frugal or just privileged?

Old 04-15-2017, 08:51 AM

13,710 posts, read 22,821,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Probably because the overspenders don't strut around with an overweening sense of personal virtue.

Hope that helps.

I don't buy that. I worked with the country club set for years and honestly, they don't stop talking about their latest toy and how they traded in their Lexus for a new Audi A8 and how they purchased a 3000 sq ft "cottage" in Dorr County.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:54 AM

64,532 posts, read 66,100,109 times
i don't buy in to that statement either . i know some fabulously wealthy people and they have extreme sense of personal virtue .

Old 04-15-2017, 08:55 AM

64,532 posts, read 66,100,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Sure it is. When big spenders move into my neighborhood, home prices and rents go up, which means more money out of MY pocket.

It's like Bill Cosby said in some old TV commercial, "it's MY money" at stake here.
on your income something is wrong if you are living where the big spenders are

Old 04-15-2017, 09:06 AM

3,266 posts, read 2,335,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I think that it is a fallacy to assume that what you pay at Macy's is really higher than K-mart. I always shop at Macy's in October when the summer clothes go on clearance and purchase men's shorts for $5. They are of infinitely better quality than what you find at K-mart and cheaper.

My mother used to buy us gym shoes at K-mart when we were playing basketball. They would last a month. When she finally kicked in $5 more for Converse, they would last a year.
I rarely go to the mall, but last time I did, I was shocked at how low the clearance prices were at the anchor stores.

On the other hand, my mom only shops at the higher end stores. We happened to go to a discount grocery/clothing chain and she saw the same brand sweater that she bought for my niece, at 1/3 the price. She was angry, she had no idea that other chains can buy the same brands that the expensive stores carry.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
on your income something is wrong if you are living where the big spenders are

As a poor renter, I have spent an inordinate amount of time, electrons, and shoe leather searching out good rental deals. It's just that I was successful doing so in a small pond but now that I am in a much bigger pond, I'm getting clobbered in this very tight (2-3% vacancy rate), affluent, and professionalized rental market.

Where I used to live, there were no such thing as credit or criminal background checks; prospective landlords would call employers as well as current and previous landlords to make decisions without formal criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or