U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 02:24 AM

5,165 posts, read 2,391,633 times

Advertisements

I've never been a big shopper, so it's not an issue for me.

I live in the country, but the UPS & FedEx trucks make DAILY stops at my neighbor's house, plus she goes to "the city" on a monthly basis to shop, & hits all the thrift stores & garage sales around here. When she visits her kids & grands in another state for Thanksgiving, it's a ritual for her to hit the Black Friday sales there. I can't wrap my head around how much she must spend, it's exhausting!

They are retired but she told me that one of them needs to find a job (good luck with that!) or "another source of income", so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 05:27 PM

24,714 posts, read 26,785,278 times
I really don't like ordering stuff online. I like going to the store to buy stuff. I want to see what I'm getting. No Amazon addiction for me.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:44 PM

1,389 posts, read 545,508 times
The One-Click button is a clever way for Amazon to get people to buy more because it's so darn easy an quick. It worked too well for me, but fortunately, I'm very conscious and very frugal, so I stopped clicking on it. I'd rather go through the payment steps.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:39 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
I don't identify with compulsive shopping, anymore than I identify with compulsive gambling.

Dropping large amounts of money in no way gives me any kind of rush, whatsoever; it gives me rather high, unpleasant anxiety.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:31 PM

20,999 posts, read 25,750,723 times
I keep a written shopping list for Amazon. It's stuff I need but not today. Then when I must have something, I can go to my list and fill up my order to the $50 to get the free shipping.

That way I am never ordering anything on impulse just to spend enough to get shipping included.

Mostly amazon is used for items that are difficult to find locally. And small car parts; it appears to be a good place to order small car parts and rare plumbing parts.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:16 PM

16,718 posts, read 20,470,484 times
Today I had the perfect example of why I no longer have Amazon Prime, or trust that Amazon has the best deal.

There was a set of plastic totes I was interested in. On Walmart, with free shipping they're roughly $50. On Amazon, with free shipping, they're $70.

This is what I finally figured out with Amazon. They're not the best deal around. But, if you buy into the Amazon Prime thing, you stop comparison shopping and don't realize you're not getting the deal you think you are.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:22 AM

20,999 posts, read 25,750,723 times
Oftentimes I find things cheaper elsewhere, but after adding in the shipping, they are often a little bit more than amazon. Then there is the issue about ordering from mystery websites that you know nothing about. Amazon is a known quantity. I don't like to order from websites where no one I know has had experience with them.

But amazon is like any other shopping. You must know what things cost before you know whether or not the price is good.

Shipping is never "free". Shipping gets paid for. Sometimes it is a separate charge and sometimes it is built into the price.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:45 AM

499 posts, read 241,472 times
We've had Amazon Prime for years. I hate crowds and Christmas shopping was a nightmare for me every year, so I started using Amazon instead and what a relief! Maybe I paid a little more, but I'm a bargain shopper and a lot of times I would wait until Amazon put the item I wanted at a price cheaper than I could buy it at the store. Either way it was worth it to not have to deal with the crowds.
Then I started using Amazon for birthdays, and every day items here and there. I'd say I was buying something from Amazon at least once a month. Again I price check against brick and mortar stores, and rarely would I buy clothing or shoes because those you need to try on and feel.
In November we moved from the city to a very rural town. Amazon is available here and I use it a lot, rather than having to drive two hours to the closest Target/WalMart, etc. I did notice my buying starting to become an issue, always getting an Amazon delivery so I've cut back. It still is a wonderful resource, but it is a slippery slope from buying needs, to buying wants all.the.time.

Old 04-11-2017, 02:07 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I really don't like ordering stuff online. I like going to the store to buy stuff. I want to see what I'm getting. No Amazon addiction for me.
I used to be like that too. In the past year my allergies have gotten so bad that I have an asthma attack almost every time I go in Walmart, a hardware store, or a health food store. So I've started shopping online more than I used to, and discovered I enjoy the convenience.

Old 04-11-2017, 02:09 PM

42,203 posts, read 49,753,916 times
Checking out as a guest is irrelevant bc your phone or computer or whatever will autopopulate all the address, cc, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or