U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 07:51 AM

3,267 posts, read 2,336,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I've ordered for store pick up before. You have to go and wait forever for someone to come to the counter, then wait again when they go to FIND your order.

No, thanks.
This. I am a block away from Walmart, shop there all the time, thought this would be easy. Nope. I also had to wait forever. Next time I order online, it will be shipped to me, not the store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 08:17 AM

1,173 posts, read 730,062 times
I order from Walmart all the time for day to day items like toiletries, paper products, pet products and so on. So often any store I go to looks looted and only 60-70% of what I need is in stock. So aggravating but order online it is in stock.

I also do it through a rewards site, so I get a couple of hundred dollars in reward money a year as a result.

I haven't had a problem with Walmart, but I also don't buy anything 'risky'.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:34 AM

4,328 posts, read 4,426,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I've ordered for store pick up before. You have to go and wait forever for someone to come to the counter, then wait again when they go to FIND your order.

No, thanks.

I'm with Amazon.
Yeah, I think it depends on where you are at. My Walmart has a little kiosk up front. You just type in your name and confirm what you want to pick up. Then sit in the waiting area and someone brings your package to you. But I definitely remember the days of going to the back of the store and trying to find an employee to help you.

Perhaps more Walmart's will move in this direction.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:22 AM

9,285 posts, read 16,124,531 times
I use Walmart.com to order cosmetics for store pickup..... I HATE being low on say, liquid foundation, and going to the store and finding they don't have my shade or something.....

SO much easier to order cosmetics, shampoos, etc., have them box it all up for me, and go pick it up..... I have not had a single problem!!

I have also used PetSmart's order on-line and pick up in store and been very pleased with that..... You can designate someone else to pick up your order, but they must be prepared to show id...... I am facing hip replacement surgery in about 2 weeks and I know I will be using it again....

Old 04-13-2017, 12:47 PM

3,270 posts, read 1,942,828 times
I occasionally order from walmart.com when it's something I can't get from Amazon. The thing that brings me back to Amazon over and over is the customer service. Returns are easy, and if the item was defective, they give you a prepaid label to ship it back. Meanwhile, a replacement item shows up at the house BEFORE the defective item has even been dropped-off at UPS or the PO. I have had several occasions where a low-priced item was defective or damaged in-transit and the Amazon rep told me to just chuck it and they would send me a new one right away. Then I get an email, with tracking, for the replacement item. So I stick with Amazon. If Walmart.com has any hopes of overtaking Amazon or even approaching Amazon's revenue, they have to up their customer service game. By many steps.

Old 04-14-2017, 04:00 AM

3,460 posts, read 1,980,913 times
I have ordered from both places, but for bigger heavy items, I have Wally World ship it to my door just like Amazon. I don't care if I DO pay $5.95, the pull out love seat and the recliner I ordered from Wally Wolrd came just fine, and I had the UPS guy drop it right by the door it was going into and a friend or MOH help unbox and assemble it/them. Wally World shipping seems cheaper!

I have NEVER {yet} had a problem ordering or returning from WAlly WOrld, I HAVE several times from AMAZON {though admittedly I have ordered more form Amazon}.

For instance, I ordered from AMazon 4 things, 3 of which are B-day presents. I ordered Monday, April 10th, they say delivery will be by Tuesday the 18th, great that is the birthday date! BUT: here it is {Good Friday} Friday, April 14th, and the items haven't even been shipped! It is coming form Amazon directly, NOT a sub. There is NO WAY it will be here by Tuesday the 18th unless they don't ship it 2 day, which I haven't paid for.

PS: to the person who said "it was for prime members only"... I have ordered MANY MANY "Prime only" items and I Am NOT a prime member! {though i should be} And gotten them... Try ordering it anyway and see what happens. The worst is they tell you "no way" which you assumed right away.

Speaking of which , I have a few items in my wally world cart I need to attend to.....

Old 04-14-2017, 05:39 AM

27,798 posts, read 24,859,410 times
My neighborhood Radio Shack is going out of business. Everything in the store is 20-50% off. I walked in to see what they had since I was looking for a portable external hard drive.

They had one clearance priced $95 (after discount). Thought that was still steep for clearance.

Went home and checked Amazon, same price with free shipping. That's was their "regular price".

That tells me stores like Radio Shack (and probably Best Buy and other electronics) can't keep up with pricing. Their stuff is overpriced and no wonder they're going out of business. Less selection as well. Guess they have to pay for their building, electricity, staff - Amazon doesn't have that overhead.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:13 AM

5,281 posts, read 4,562,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
I'm surprised it didn't qualify for the free 2 day ship to home. I thought they supposedly have 1 million items that qualify for free 2 day ship to home if you spend over $35 now. It looks like they also just announced a discount if you choose to ship it to the store and pick it up.
Might just depend on where the purchaser lives in relation to the warehouse....

I have had good success with Walmart shipping to home or store. I agree for the ability to return it is awesome. Walmart is great with returns.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:15 PM

3,012 posts, read 1,810,469 times
I love using Walmart.com.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:49 PM

11,620 posts, read 5,457,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiehere View Post
I order from Walmart all the time for day to day items like toiletries, paper products, pet products and so on. So often any store I go to looks looted and only 60-70% of what I need is in stock. So aggravating but order online it is in stock.

I also do it through a rewards site, so I get a couple of hundred dollars in reward money a year as a result.

I haven't had a problem with Walmart, but I also don't buy anything 'risky'.
That's what I'm using it for now that they have $35 free shipping. My store usually isn't looted but I tend to forget certain things that I don't buy all the time. And any amount that I don't have to carry up the stairs is nice, though I have realized that I have to temper this due to boxes and packaging needing to go down!

So, I might limit that to heavy things.

Is 'ebates' the reward site you refer to? I get a pop-up for that all the time. I exit out because I signed up for 'honey' which has never found me a coupon!

Waste of space on my hard drive or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living