U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 02:08 PM

2,469 posts, read 2,725,327 times

Advertisements

I recently ordered something for Target online that was not available in the store. The small item was shipped quickly and I got it the next day after ordering. Now that was fast service.

For the first time, I ordered from Walmart earlier in the week for another item that was very small, and got free shipping (item cost less than $8). Walmart's website said it would take 4 days to ship. I will watch this thread and reply to it after I receive this item.

I had bought a few new books from Amazon a few weeks ago. I never got the package in the mail. I asked customer service about it. Amazon sent out the same order to me and I received it the second time free of charge. I've never had a problem with Amazon's service before. I also only buy a few things online per year from Amazon.

Overall I buy most items at the store and rarely buy much online. Usually I buy hard to find items online. I generally dislike shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 07:15 PM

1,139 posts, read 671,434 times
My 2nd order from Walmart.com! I find the great thing about ordering from Walmart is that a store acts like a shipping pickup and return center for you! Very convenient as in the case if you work and have an Apt, it's really nasty to get deliveries to Apts as it can't be left at a doorstep or else it'll get stolen.

Imagine getting this thing I ordered:https://www.walmart.com/ip/Champion-...Start/38695495

Would be a very nasty 100+ lbs return if bad or rejected!

Old 05-04-2017, 08:59 AM

5,166 posts, read 2,847,595 times
I've been having more and more problems with Amazon's logistics deliveries. I find that I'm ordering more items from Walmart and picking them up in store. It's even better because I can use my Discover card at Sam's (to get 5% cash back) to refill a Walmart gift card, then use the gift card to make purchases online.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:46 PM

7,129 posts, read 5,947,609 times
wal-mart acquired jet.com but hasn't really been promoting it. Catchy website name that's easy to remember that could take a lot of marketshare from amazon if done correctly.

I could see long term potential in the stock if they do expand their online offerings.... but not by just taking jet's software and using it for their own brand.. promote the jet.com brand. It's really good.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:18 PM

4,615 posts, read 6,118,415 times
My credit card was hacked two days after my first order on Walmart.com

Someone tried to buy a handbag for $700, but they didn't have my phone number, and this tipped off the fraud department.

I tend to think this is a mere coincidence, but I do wonder if there is a connection.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:27 PM

2,484 posts, read 1,710,061 times
I've been migrating over to walmart.com for as many purchases as possible for the sole reason that Amazon is a little irritating with the prime membership thing. On 2 occasions I accidentally clicked for the prime trial and had to call to get it cancelled.

Walmart.com is clearly, still in ramp up mode. most of the obscure stuff I find myself buying is not yet available for sale so I wind up at amazon anyway.

Purchased 1 set of guitar strings and was sent a wholesaler pack of 10. There was no way to fix the order even when I took it to the store to get straightened out.

Purchased a set of tires and the tires got lost after they arrived at the local store.

Generally, I find better pricing at walmart.com and i'm willing to put up with the frustration despite the growing pains but in the end, I can not avoid Amazon because they pretty much have everything.

I would rather not see Amazon win the war because I need a brick and mortar that is local to me.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:31 PM

2,484 posts, read 1,710,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I've been having more and more problems with Amazon's logistics deliveries. I find that I'm ordering more items from Walmart and picking them up in store. It's even better because I can use my Discover card at Sam's (to get 5% cash back) to refill a Walmart gift card, then use the gift card to make purchases online.
why wouldn't you just use the discover card to purchase on walmart.com? wouldn't you still make the same cashback?

Old 05-09-2017, 07:00 AM

14,366 posts, read 16,288,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
to the person who said "it was for prime members only"... I have ordered MANY MANY "Prime only" items and I Am NOT a prime member! {though i should be} And gotten them... Try ordering it anyway and see what happens. The worst is they tell you "no way" which you assumed right away.
Thanks for the tip. I will try that next time with Amazon.

Normally when I purchase online at Walmart online and get it shipped to my home, I get several separate shipments. This is for a free shipping order. It's often 3 different shipments for little dumb stuff (like shampoo and small cheap items) that usually arrive 1 or 2 days apart. Every Walmart order is like this for me. Last time I got shipments all week from one Wal-Mart order. I looked online to see if they have a checkbox for having everything shipped together but didn't see that option.

Yesterday I ordered something small/inexpensive from Walmart online and chose in-store pickup for first time ever. It's not ready for pickup yet but I hope it goes smoothly. I am not even sure where to go within the store for pickup but will learn that very soon.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:34 AM

3,148 posts, read 3,210,342 times
Amazon.com it seems is deliberately delaying the shipping duration for non-prime customers in order to entice them into joining their Prime Membership program. I have been using Walmart online shipping (although very rarely) for last 7 years and if shipping is free, its a better experience for me then Amazon.com these days.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:17 PM

5,166 posts, read 2,847,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
why wouldn't you just use the discover card to purchase on walmart.com? wouldn't you still make the same cashback?
Didn't even know they did that! I just found it! That saves me a trip to Sam's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living