U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 05:54 PM

2,479 posts, read 1,706,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Amazon.com it seems is deliberately delaying the shipping duration for non-prime customers in order to entice them into joining their Prime Membership program. I have been using Walmart online shipping (although very rarely) for last 7 years and if shipping is free, its a better experience for me then Amazon.com these days.
yes they are. They need to differentiate their service somehow. I have a smart phone on order from Amazon because I had a gift card to use, all my other items have shipped and on their way to me but the phone is 'preparing for shipment' for about 4 days.

fedex and UPS also do this. I've ordered from places close to me and it gets shipped the same day. in order to avoid next day service, my stuff sits at a warehouse for a few days before it gets left at my door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 02:04 PM

14,361 posts, read 16,276,263 times
Today I picked-up my first 'in store pick-up' walmart.com order. I ordered 3 jars of face cream type stuff. They put all 3 jars in a box but didn't place any packing material in the box. The jars rolled around in the box and one opened and the contents of the open jar spilled into the box slightly.

When I picked up the order, the person at Walmart got the box and opened it in front of me. My order was in a carboard shipping box with label just like you get when it's shipped to your door.

The Walmart employee saw the opened jar and asked me if I still wanted the item. I asked if there is a discount if I keep it even though it's damaged. She said that my choice is either take it or reject the item and she'd remove it from the order. She mentioned I could call the 800# later to see if they can give a discount if I keep the opened/damaged item.

It's too bad that Walmart doesn't empower their people to handle such customer service issues 'on the spot'. Nobody wants to have to call an 800#, especially after being face-to-face with a live person at their store.

I decided to keep the item because it's needed right away, even though some of the contents spilled out(less than 5%). The walmart employee handed me the box with my items but the box had oily goo stains all over it due to the open jar rolling around the box. The Walmart employee quickly turned to the next person in line and started helping them. I had to ask for a bag because she never offered a bag.

Next time I will order from Amazon.com online or possibly Walmart.com online and get it shipped to my house. Rather than call the Walmart 800#, I will just stop purchasing their 'ship-to-store' orders.

The Walmart pickup area is way in back of the store. Why walk through the entire walmart store when you can have something delivered to your door.

Oh well, I gave it a try. Oh - there were a few other items that I tried to place on my original order. They were on walmart.com and said 'ship to store' available. But you had to enter your zip code to see if that item could be shipped to your local store. Those other items said they couldn't be shipped to my store so those will be purchased from amazon very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Yesterday I ordered something small/inexpensive from Walmart online and chose in-store pickup for first time ever. It's not ready for pickup yet but I hope it goes smoothly.

Last edited by sware2cod; 05-10-2017 at 02:14 PM..

Old 05-13-2017, 05:37 AM

69,259 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
I'm surprised it didn't qualify for the free 2 day ship to home. I thought they supposedly have 1 million items that qualify for free 2 day ship to home if you spend over $35 now. It looks like they also just announced a discount if you choose to ship it to the store and pick it up.
We did use them for 2 day, free delivery to our home, and it worked fine. The only problem was, they took it to the wrong place, not even our city. It was eventually tracked down and we got what we ordered.
As for the OP being more satisfied with WalMart that is fine but one of the advantages of using any free, to your home merchandise is not having to go to the store period. Something else to remember is the taxes paid: we do not pay the same tax on Amazon as we do when we buy directly from the company. What ever works is fine; we still prefer Amazon but will go with either.

Old 05-13-2017, 05:41 AM

2,468 posts, read 2,722,968 times
I posted on this thread on 5/3. My small item from Walmart still has not arrived (ordered in early May). Now the estimated wait time was moved from 4 days to about 2 weeks.

I don't mind to wait a week, but anything longer than that to me is too long for most items. I won't be ordering from WM online anytime soon.

Similar to sware2cod in 2 posts above (#62), I am disappointed over this way with their online ordering.

Last edited by maus; 05-13-2017 at 05:55 AM..

Old 05-17-2017, 10:45 AM

11,609 posts, read 5,449,768 times
Done with Walmart.com. I got two detergents (only ordered one) and lacking one other item and then the next order my cereal isn't here and I haven't figured out yet if I paid for that. All the excess packaging didn't keep the detergent from leaking, so opening that was messy.

I don't like the way they package things. Tossing them in boxes. When I order from Amazon Prime Now it's very neat. Things are standing up as they should be in paper bags. Neatly folded over on the top with an easy-open little sticker to keep the bag closed. Love them!

Old 05-17-2017, 11:35 AM

4,328 posts, read 4,425,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Done with Walmart.com. I got two detergents (only ordered one) and lacking one other item and then the next order my cereal isn't here and I haven't figured out yet if I paid for that. All the excess packaging didn't keep the detergent from leaking, so opening that was messy.

I don't like the way they package things. Tossing them in boxes. When I order from Amazon Prime Now it's very neat. Things are standing up as they should be in paper bags. Neatly folded over on the top with an easy-open little sticker to keep the bag closed. Love them!
Yeah, we ordered detergent through Target because they had a Gain deal on Slickdeals and one of them was leaking too. It seems like liquid detergent is a hard one to ship.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:52 AM

11,609 posts, read 5,449,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Yeah, we ordered detergent through Target because they had a Gain deal on Slickdeals and one of them was leaking too. It seems like liquid detergent is a hard one to ship.
Yes we live and learn trying new things. No more shipping detergent for me.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:42 PM

69,259 posts, read 79,427,308 times
sounds like WalMart may have a ways to go if they want to seriously compete with Amazon.

Old 05-23-2017, 04:38 AM

1,139 posts, read 670,494 times
Boy, did I get disappointed with my second order from Walmart. Either you have the product or you don't. I ordered my generator at a sale price of around $625 and then it was cancelled. The generator now later sells for $799. Otherwise, back then I could've ordered it from amazon for $597 or so. Well, I'm pissed off that I missed out on a good sale price.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:31 AM

13,345 posts, read 7,115,490 times
Typically pickup at my Walmart is pretty bad - it is all the way at the back of a superstore...there is never a clerk there and it takes forever. It's usually not worth it unless I'm already shopping there, which I don't really like to do...and I don't think they hold your items for more than a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living