Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 08:59 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,479,595 times

Advertisements

We just welcomed our twins, which in addition to our 3 year old now makes us a family of 5. I have spent the last few months analyzing expenses, cutting where we need to and just basically making us spend our money more efficiently.

One thing I'm looking into doing is getting a deep freezer and a Costco membership. My goal is to buy meat in bulk (mostly chicken and beef) and freezing it various forms and one of those things I'm looking to do is to grind it up for tacos, burgers etc. So, I thought a meat grinder is what I need. Then I started reading recipes online and it seems like you can grind meat in a food processor as well. However, the food processor will also have other uses - I would love to be able to make hummus, dressings, sauces, salsas etc.

So, what to do. Buy the meat grinder and use my hand blender or magic bullet to make sauces. Or forget the meat grinder all together and get a food processor. Or both?

I am posting here because I know there are a lot posts on here about saving money on food and that's really what I am looking to do. TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 09:04 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,737,785 times
I think a top brand heavy duty food processor with a meat grinding capability is all you need.

Unless you plan on getting into sausage-making in a serious way!

Old 06-21-2017, 09:05 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,479,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I think a top brand heavy duty food processor with a meat grinder attachment is all you need.
Any idea how much those are? I'll search Amazon, but if I buy a top rated grinder and food processor as separate items, it's about $90. The heavy duty ones seem more expensive.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:10 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,737,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Any idea how much those are? I'll search Amazon, but if I buy a top rated grinder and food processor as separate items, it's about $90. The heavy duty ones seem more expensive.
So, you're talking about a hand grinder? It takes a fair amount of muscle to use, but it is cheaper.

Compare the motor size on the food processors you are contemplating. Personally, I think it is false economy to buy a low-powered food processor.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:59 AM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
A meat grinder is a requirement for really processing meat. A food processor might work in a pinch on an occasional basis, but not designed for the task. The cheap cuts of meat that make things cost efficient are hard work even for a proper meat grinder. IIRC, a grinder that will do the job and not break or be too much of a pain to use costs around $130. Forget the hand carnk ones until the kids are about five years older and can be tasked at turning the crank to earn their meals. (joking).

Old 06-21-2017, 11:44 AM

24,480 posts, read 10,815,620 times
A food processor shreds the meat. The consistence does not resemble ground beef. A sturdy KitchenAid with grinder attachment may serve you well as you can add attachments one at a time. Word of caution - use small pieces of meat (mine handles 2x2), chill the meat, work in batches. I run beef, chicken and pork.
Use a whisk for salad dressings. Processor attachment works well.
What do you plan to use the slicer for?

Old 06-21-2017, 11:56 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
How much is the meat you're planning to grind? I can get ground beef cheaper than I can get the beef I would be grinding up, so for me it doesn't make financial sense to grind my own.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:58 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Meat grinder, food processor, or both to save money?
Neither. Just a couple of good sharp knives.
(and of course the skill to use them right)

Quote:
We just welcomed our twins...
I would love to be able to make hummus, dressings, sauces, salsas etc.

So, what to do.
Yard sales. At $5 each most anything in the appliance aisle is worth trying.
Otherwise... immersion blender kits are great. Look for the Braun.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:07 PM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
A food processor might have a meat grinding attachment, but I KNOW that a KitchenAid mixer definitely does. If you have one, just get the meat grinding attachment.

You will use the heck out of a food processor, regardless.

Failing that, if you can find an old fashioned meat grinder that attaches to the counter, they work good and are inexpensive.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:46 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
A good meat grinder costs a substantial chunk of money and it is not worth the cost to buy it unless you are going to grind a lot of meat.

I have a meat grinder and my family uses it, but we grind a lot of meat. I make home cooked dog food and I am feeding about 28 pounds of ground meat every week. Beef is slightly cheaper than hamburger, only if you buy primal cuts. That's the 40 pound chunks. Other than that, the chunks of meat that you grind costs more than the ground beef.

I grind cheaper meats: pork, turkey, chicken because it is easier to cook dog food with ground meat than it is to cook it in large chunks and then cut it up. My grinder gets a work-out.

Here's the advantage in home ground for a family. Hamburger from the store can be made of scraps or lower grade beef. It can be fairly inexpensive or it can be quite expensive. Home ground can be top of the line, expensive quality burger if you want to make the effort.

I buy whole chunks of beef by the box, about 80 pounds of meat. I buy lean rounds (rear haunch) for the dogs and I buy USDA choice grade, certified Angus beef shoulders for my family. For the dogs, everything gets ground coarse,. For my family, the meat is very carefully cleaned to remove every drop of non-muscle. All tendons, gristle, nerves are removed. Meat is coarse ground and then put through the grinder again with a smaller blade.

The people's burger then gets weighted out into 6 ounce patties, bagged and frozen. One grinding session takes hours, but the meat lasts us for months. It is absolutely the best burger that you can eat. Just the right amount of fat for flavor, certified angus, it tastes like eating steak.

One thing that you can do with a home grinder is to buy the turkeys on sale at the holidays. Grind the breast meat and you will have the most delicious ground turkey. It doesn't resemble the ground turkey that you buy in even the slightest.

My food processor mostly gets used to grate cheese. I don't like the bags of pre-grated cheese; there is something off about the texture. So, I buy the 5 pound block of cheese, grate it with the food processor, and freeze it. I don't think there is any money savings but my family likes the texture and flavor of the block cheese better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living