Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 01:34 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
Does working out ruin your frugal living lifestyle? Like you have to buy certain types of food to maintain energy etc?
no, it helps.....I stay away from restaurants/fast food to avoid the calories......making salads and drinking water instead - lots fruit - not overly expensive where I shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 10:48 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
I used to do triathlons but drifted away because of the training time requirements, even for sprint distances, and a lower back that didn't like that much time in aerobars when cycling. Still run and swim a fair amount.

Running is buying workout clothes from TJ Maxx and the outlet stores, and shopping the clearance rack for last year's shoes at my local running store. I get 350-500 miles out of a pair of shoes before my knees or hips start to complain.

My nutrition 'splurge', such that is is, is a half liter of coconut water after a workout. I run outdoors in Florida summers, and the nutrient/electrolyte mix in that seems to cut the number of awful post-workout dehydration migraines by about 90% compared to other sports drinks or water. If I'm hungry or feeling like I need a little more flavor, I'll throw in about 1/4 cup of frozen blueberries instead of ice cubes. One liter of coconut water on sale or by store brand is typically $3-$3.50 a liter, so about the same price per serving as a soda at many fash food restaurants.

Other than that, just 'normal' food- no red meats, reasonable amount of fruit, veg, and grains. A little ice cream here and there when I'm feeling indulgent

Old 04-22-2017, 12:31 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
My workout clothes comes from Goodwill. Every single piece of clothing except socks, shoes, underwear. Good, high-end stuff too. I dress for success when running or working out.I invest in good running shoes though. No skimping there unless my favorite model/brand is on clearance (last year's model, usually).

Old 04-28-2017, 12:28 AM

473 posts, read 501,763 times
No. South Beach diet gives right on advice and uses normal food, just not white carbs/potatoes/rice/pasta.

Gym can be cheap if you like to workout indoors during harsh heat/icy cold. If the place invests in the trendy equipment, get to check these systems out too...Also have access to variety of stuff instead of aerobics videos but home workouts can be supplemented nicely with jump rope, yoga, walking, hiking and biking too...But if you like weight lifting (which REALLY increases calorie burn for females), the gym is best investment unless you have a whole basement full. Some DO LIKE The dumbbells and bench weight lifting...

Old 04-28-2017, 08:58 AM

25,689 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
Does working out ruin your frugal living lifestyle? Like you have to buy certain types of food to maintain energy etc?
Nope. I've jogged 6 or 7 miles a day (typically) for the past 20 years or so. At times I hike as well. That's all free. I don't eat anything different than I normally would. Lot's of grains (rice, oats, wheat, spelt, etc). Very cheap, especially in bulk and stores well over the long term. Bread bakes well in solar ovens... and the sun is free.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:37 AM

354 posts, read 280,931 times
Luckily work has free gyms and puts on races pretty often. Last year I did a pair of 1/2 marathons, 6 or 7 5Ks, and a friendly bike race that weren't only free but came with a shirt.

Old 04-29-2017, 03:03 PM

32,920 posts, read 36,316,341 times
I'v never felt like liver.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:41 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,115,529 times
Uhh... Before I lost my home I used to workout by road biking and not having a gym membership. Nowadays I live in my minivan / trailer combo, and my $20 / month Planetfitness membership sure pays off as I take a bath and workout everywhere!

Old 04-29-2017, 11:25 PM

491 posts, read 473,309 times
I don't see how working out is related to being frugal. You could be frugal and work out or not. Now, I think working out is not for me. I'd rather just walk and not specifically train for anything. Some people like to work out because they want to look a certain way or have muscles. I don't feel the need to do that. I'd rather just do the things that I like and use that as a way to work out. For instance, if I want to play basketball, I'll do that, but I'm not working out separately. I'd rather just work on the things I want to get good at and gain strength there.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:36 AM

354 posts, read 280,931 times
It's related because people will invariably have questions concerning how some work out while staying frugal. Plenty of gyms cost $70 just for the membership, and then are trying to get members to sign up for personal trainers, spin classes, buy a protein shake on the way out, etc etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living