U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 10:05 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,494,056 times

Advertisements

Husband and I go out and walk in a maintained trail in a local park. He calls them our death marches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 12:00 PM

7,100 posts, read 3,795,723 times
I hike at least once a week - often as many as three times. I also kayak and bicycle. Once the boots, boat (used, of course), and bike are bought, there are no further expenses. You *can* spend a fortune on accessories, but you don't have to. I also folk dance (it's a reasonable fee, and I take advantage of any free events) and walk to work and back every day as well as whatever to else is within walking distance that I need. It pays to live in the city center. Finally, I buy old VHS tapes and DVDs from Goodwill with aerobic workout routines; it's free to pop them in the machine and exercise to your heart's content. The fact that they may be out of style now doesn't make them any less effective.

Last edited by otterhere; 05-02-2017 at 12:17 PM..

Old 05-03-2017, 08:51 PM

1,314 posts, read 991,839 times
I love lifting weights too much to not have a gym to go to. $35/month and has all the free weights and squat racks I need.

I go to one close to my house and I bike there 10 minutes each way when I go. Saves on gas, plus it's extra cardio.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:00 PM

741 posts, read 549,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I love to walk, but the weather limits when I can be outside. At that point in my life, walking isn't enough excercise for me. I need more. I walk a mile or two when I can. A gym membership is no excuses and I push myself harder. Better health pays for itself.

If I really wanted frugal excercise, I'd go get a physically demanding job like pushing carts.

Exercise bikes are better then walking...but exercise bikes is very frugal is it?

Old 05-05-2017, 02:41 PM

I never understood being unable to walk due to weather; it's just a matter of dressing properly (shop at Goodwill). Even if it's icy out, you can buy "grippers" for your shoes for under $15.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:27 PM

1,139 posts, read 673,459 times
I used to be a road biking nut going out for a workout in as low as 23F. Nowadays when I do the treadmills at Planetfitness for 25 minute sessions it's also really enjoyable watching TV.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:01 PM

7,287 posts, read 15,308,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I never understood being unable to walk due to weather; it's just a matter of dressing properly (shop at Goodwill). Even if it's icy out, you can buy "grippers" for your shoes for under $15.
Here the weather issue is not cold but rather regular summer thunderstorms. The copayments for a hospital visit because you were out running amid lightning are not particularly frugal unless you have 'Cadillac' insurance plans.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:26 PM

941 posts, read 460,736 times
When I'm on the road, I walk the flat-lands or slopes and do many walk up/down public stairway reps.

For weightlifting, I have two styles of plastic one gallon water bottles refilled with tap water; Arrowhead with the indented hand grips in the back, for dumbbells,

and the hard to find plastic bottles with handles similar to this (also for dumbbells):

I also use a wood 6' closet dowel (at least 1 1/4") to slip through the flap handles as a weightlifting bar:

Old 05-07-2017, 06:12 AM

My outdoor exercise problem is excessive heat and humidity all summer, but then I just take the walks indoors or make them "water hikes" (along a creek or stream) and jump in frequently. I hope to find free or low-cost water aerobics through a city park in retirement.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:23 AM

27,798 posts, read 24,915,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noregon98 View Post
When I'm on the road, I walk the flat-lands or slopes and do many walk up/down public stairway reps.

For weightlifting, I have two styles of plastic one gallon water bottles refilled with tap water; Arrowhead with the indented hand grips in the back, for dumbbells,

and the hard to find plastic bottles with handles similar to this (also for dumbbells):

I also use a wood 6' closet dowel (at least 1 1/4") to slip through the flap handles as a weightlifting bar:
I'm on the road next week for 3-4 months. Need these kind of ideas as I don't intend on carrying exercise equipment in the RV. Will have trail bike. But bodyweight exercises can do a lot of good. No equipment other than a park bench or park chin up bar.

https://youtu.be/jeliKWOBID0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or