U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 12:08 PM

741 posts, read 545,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I AM GAWD View Post
And be a penny pincher for 4 years and then when I get out live in a cheap city in the east coast or something. I don't know how much money that would yield because the pay seems varied and I wouldn't know the best branch.

Join the RESERVES or NATIONAL GUARD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 12:11 PM

29,722 posts, read 47,472,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
Then you still need a full-time job somewhere.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:04 PM

27,798 posts, read 24,852,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
still being sent to war zones, deployments, not getting same benefits....wouldn't do that unless there's some college plan involved

Old 04-25-2017, 06:51 PM

11,611 posts, read 5,449,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I AM GAWD View Post
And be a penny pincher for 4 years and then when I get out live in a cheap city in the east coast or something. I don't know how much money that would yield because the pay seems varied and I wouldn't know the best branch.
Air Force or Navy for sure. We are at war everywhere, stay safe.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Joining army for the money is a terrible idea.

Glad you said qualify, not quality...
It is? Millions of people have done it. The GI Bill, the VA home loans, all that. It's the way millions of people have bettered themselves.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:58 PM

9,265 posts, read 7,284,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There have been a lot of ghetto rats escape from poverty by joining the military. They come out with more life experience, more discipline, and a better idea of how the world works.
Don't forget about all the white trash/trailer trash escaping from a playing video games in their parents' basement.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There have been a lot of ghetto rats escape from poverty by joining the military. They come out with more life experience, more discipline, and a better idea of how the world works.

Military provides free housing and food. Paycheck isn't huge, but it is a lot of money if you can save because you don't pay for housing, food, utilities, or any moving you have to do.

Navy is least likely to see combat.

I don't think you can get into the airforce without a 4 year college degree. They have their pick of all the prime applicants.

Generally, if you can stomach a couple more years, you can get a hefty reinlistment bonus. I see kids spend that on a new car, but it looks nice in the bank for when you get out of the military.
Rude about ghetto rats and those are not the only people who join. You do not need a degree for the Air Force and they are the least likely to see combat - very few in the Air Force ever see the inside of a plane, much less become a fighter pilot.

You are mostly right about the rest, but re-enlisting is dangerous for someone only there for money. I have a friend who can go overseas to a safe place, no combat, and sock away a BIG chunk of money for just 8 months over there. But if he re-ups, he could get sent anywhere. And his job is to 'clear', so that is very effing dangerous.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Don't forget about all the white trash/trailer trash escaping from a playing video games in their parents' basement.
Again with this?

Old 04-25-2017, 07:10 PM

4,832 posts, read 2,142,556 times
I respect an honest enlistee. There for the paycheck.

My co worker went in with that idea....and because he was on base a lot, his free time was liquid diets.
He got to play with guns and get a formal education for his trade.

Left the military after his four years....with about 200$ in his pocket. Yeah he got free stuff....and blew his paycheck on all the things young men considered important at that stage of life.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I respect an honest enlistee. There for the paycheck.

My co worker went in with that idea....and because he was on base a lot, his free time was liquid diets.
He got to play with guns and get a formal education for his trade.

Left the military after his four years....with about 200$ in his pocket. Yeah he got free stuff....and blew his paycheck on all the things young men considered important at that stage of life.
The GI bill is waiting for him, should he decide to use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living