Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 09:25 PM

7 posts, read 9,755 times

Advertisements

And be a penny pincher for 4 years and then when I get out live in a cheap city in the east coast or something. I don't know how much money that would yield because the pay seems varied and I wouldn't know the best branch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 10:08 PM

19,024 posts, read 14,201,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I AM GAWD View Post
And be a penny pincher for 4 years and then when I get out live in a cheap city in the east coast or something. I don't know how much money that would yield because the pay seems varied and I wouldn't know the best branch.
Pay grades for enlisted personnel are pretty consistent.
If you're brainy - choose the air force.
If you're brawny - choose the marines.
If you're belligerent - choose the army - get to shoot at things.
If you're bucolic - choose the navy - and see the world.
. . .
Afterward, you'll qualify for medical care at a Vet's hospital or clinic.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:47 AM

61,704 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Joining army for the money is a terrible idea.

Glad you said qualify, not quality...

Old 04-21-2017, 07:40 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,331,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Afterward, you'll qualify for medical care at a Vet's hospital or clinic.
Only if you are indigent, retire from the armed forces (the OP indicated he wanted to do 4 years) or have a service related disability; otherwise, this is completely false.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Joining army for the money is a terrible idea.
Not sure about this. Lots of kids (myself included) join for the educational and other benefits. Is this not tied to money? BTW, it was the best thing I ever did.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:22 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
There have been a lot of ghetto rats escape from poverty by joining the military. They come out with more life experience, more discipline, and a better idea of how the world works.

Military provides free housing and food. Paycheck isn't huge, but it is a lot of money if you can save because you don't pay for housing, food, utilities, or any moving you have to do.

Navy is least likely to see combat.

I don't think you can get into the airforce without a 4 year college degree. They have their pick of all the prime applicants.

Generally, if you can stomach a couple more years, you can get a hefty reinlistment bonus. I see kids spend that on a new car, but it looks nice in the bank for when you get out of the military.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:12 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,331,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't think you can get into the airforce without a 4 year college degree. They have their pick of all the prime applicants.
Not even close to true.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:56 AM

61,704 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Not sure about this. Lots of kids (myself included) join for the educational and other benefits. Is this not tied to money? BTW, it was the best thing I ever did.
Depends what's your goals.
I see lots of young men, and women, being sent to combat, and coming back mentally disturbed. Many are not emotionally old enough to understand what they are actually signing for.
Not going into details, but recruiting pep talk and reality are two different things.

Military is surely a good place to get free education, learn discipline, life experiences, see the world (well, that's a bit questionable) etc. and many young people make that decision because... that's pretty much the only way to get their life straight. Some fit in just right. Some not.
OP should get educated (not by the recruiter) about what he will be doing for the next few years, and have plan to make the best of it.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:16 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
most enlisted people don't make a lot of money...
Quote:
you are working for those benefits, you could get different benefits by working before/during college

Old 04-21-2017, 11:34 AM

910 posts, read 1,082,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Depends what's your goals.
I see lots of young men, and women, being sent to combat, and coming back mentally disturbed. Many are not emotionally old enough to understand what they are actually signing for.
Not going into details, but recruiting pep talk and reality are two different things.

Military is surely a good place to get free education, learn discipline, life experiences, see the world (well, that's a bit questionable) etc. and many young people make that decision because... that's pretty much the only way to get their life straight. Some fit in just right. Some not.
OP should get educated (not by the recruiter) about what he will be doing for the next few years, and have plan to make the best of it.

Seeing the world while active duty Navy is not questionable. Being assigned to a ship for a 7 month deployment, you will hit a different port every 2 to 3 weeks. I have been to Spain, France, Italy, Greece, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Turkey, the U. A. E., and Israel. Navy is paid travel. Most ports of call, you get 2 of the 3 days in port off, one day you will be on "duty", either cleaning places you can't get to at sea, or performing maintenance, or on guard duty. Every job in the Navy has a civilian counterpart. Have you heard of the Merchant Marines? If you get stationed on the west coast, your ports will be Australia, many of the islands of the pacific, Japan, etc.

Being a deep blue sailor was an experience I will never forget. Being in the middle of the Atlantic, on a calm night, during a meteor shower was epic. Zero light pollution.

You can save some serious money, and be eligible for a V.A. home loan which will save you tons of money on a mortgage.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:38 AM

19,024 posts, read 14,201,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
[Re: Veteran's Medical Care]Only if you are indigent, retire from the armed forces (the OP indicated he wanted to do 4 years) or have a service related disability; otherwise, this is completely false.
Then you are "Completely Wrong."
https://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/apply/veterans.asp
Minimum Duty Requirements

Most Veterans who enlisted after September 7, 1980, or entered active duty after October 16, 1981, must have served 24 continuous months or the full period for which they were called to active duty in order to be eligible. This minimum duty requirement may not apply to Veterans who were discharged for a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty, for a hardship or “early out,” or those who served prior to September 7, 1980. Since there are a number of other exceptions to the minimum duty requirements, VA encourages all Veterans to apply so that we may determine their enrollment eligibility.
. . . . .
My uncle, who did a single term of enlistment in 1960s, and served in Korea, enjoyed V.A. medical care his whole life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living