U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 10:53 AM

26,828 posts, read 57,830,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Let us say the budget is $40. I do not spend more than $40.
What I buy does not matter.
Of course it matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 04:45 PM

11,605 posts, read 5,449,768 times
Quote:
It is not. Let us say the budget is $40. I do not spend more than $40. What I buy does not matter. If the bill exceed $40, I put something back. This week I was under by $7.00. That is pretty awesome.

I do not have the patience to cut coupons. I know people who will go from store to store to use coupons and buy things on sale. I am restricted by the funds I have available to spend. I can't buy all things I want. However, I will only buy what I want.

I bought something because it was on sale. I did not like the taste. I ended up going back to the store to buy what I wanted. Thus, the cheap comes out expensive.
It works for you and that is all that matters. I quit doing the other way because if I don't want to eat what I got on sale,, it goes bad.

I buy only what I know I am going to consume.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:16 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,494,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
It works for you and that is all that matters. I quit doing the other way because if I don't want to eat what I got on sale,, it goes bad.

I buy only what I know I am going to consume.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:05 AM

7,275 posts, read 15,279,446 times
If- Is it an item that we would buy anyways?

And- Item can be safely stored a long time

Then- stock up when on sale.

Our preferred brand of canned tomatoes has a 'best by' shelf like of 2 or so years. We'll get chicken breasts for 3 or so weeks, portion it for two and then freeze it, and we typically have enough toilet paper and paper towel for a zombie apocalypse at the start of every other month because Target has decent promotions for our preferred brands.

Usually don't buy feminine hygiene products at Publix but noticed the other day that they were discontinuing my preferred tampon type in the smaller boxes. Cleared them out because it worked out to $4.48 for 36 tampons instead of 36 for $6.99 or more usual price. Not like they go bad and it's reassuring to have a bit stockpile of some household items.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:31 PM

I am not in to stocking up. I think people overspend. I only buy what I need. I wish I could be this lucky every week.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:49 PM

10,711 posts, read 19,040,812 times
To each his own.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:27 PM

9,314 posts, read 17,946,933 times
I'm not going to post prices since the ones around here are gonna be outrageous even if they're on sale, but we usually check out the discount bin first thing when shopping and buy from the non retail places when ever possible, too. Fresh fruits and veggies come from this little corner vegetable market. Most of our meat comes directly from the farmer. He's more of a farmer than a rancher since he only grows out one steer a year.

When we see something on sale that we use, we'll generally buy a case of it. We also ignore the 'best by' dates by quite a bit. If we went by a strict weekly budget, we'd not be able to take advantage of discounted things as much.

But, whatever works for you is probably the best plan. Not all plans work for all people.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:40 AM

That is true. I notice sale items vary from week to week. The orange juice I buy is normally $4.39. Sometimes it is on sale for 2 for $6. One time it was on sale for $1.88 with a $25 purchase. Yay! I think they limited one per purchase. Last week it was on sale for $2.88. I buy only one no matter what because that is what works for my budget. Based on this scenario, you are not always getting the best deal.

Do you guys have a budget in mind when you grocery shop for sale items?

Old 05-02-2017, 11:45 PM

11,605 posts, read 5,449,768 times
Quote:
That is true. I notice sale items vary from week to week. The orange juice I buy is normally $4.39. Sometimes it is on sale for 2 for $6. One time it was on sale for $1.88 with a $25 purchase. Yay! I think they limited one per purchase. Last week it was on sale for $2.88. I buy only one no matter what because that is what works for my budget. Based on this scenario, you are not always getting the best deal.

Do you guys have a budget in mind when you grocery shop for sale items?
I do. If something is on a good sale I buy more of it. That way next time I go, I don't need those items. And I get more of whatever is on sale that week. So on and so forth. I don't do the major coupon/sale pairing stock-up for the Apocalypse anymore, but I still do the simple things to save money.

That is when I go to a store that does have sales. When I am lazy and go to the Wal-mart because it's closest, nothing goes on sale. There is never a point in getting extra. I save by getting only what I am needing right then.

It seems like budgeting is hard for you - you can't figure out how to make an initial investment so to speak, to get the ball rolling. Which is why I simply said 'whatever works for you' but now you asked

Like the trip that caused you to post: you got lucky with so many sale items. I assume you came in under budget. That was a chance to get the ball rolling. Whatever you had extra could be rolled into getting more of the things you know you will consume on sale, and then not need them next week, so there you are with extra next week.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:49 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,527,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
. When I am lazy and go to the Wal-mart because it's closest, nothing goes on sale. .
It is if it's on sale at another local store(under certain rules/conditions)The sale price will be matched.
savingscatcher.walmart.com
Sometimes the Walmart 'regular' price is lower to begin with then it is on sale or BOGO at another store but in that case, there'd be little reason to stock up anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or