U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 05:05 AM

5,514 posts, read 5,499,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I do. If something is on a good sale I buy more of it. That way next time I go, I don't need those items. And I get more of whatever is on sale that week. So on and so forth. I don't do the major coupon/sale pairing stock-up for the Apocalypse anymore, but I still do the simple things to save money.

That is when I go to a store that does have sales. When I am lazy and go to the Wal-mart because it's closest, nothing goes on sale. There is never a point in getting extra. I save by getting only what I am needing right then.

It seems like budgeting is hard for you - you can't figure out how to make an initial investment so to speak, to get the ball rolling. Which is why I simply said 'whatever works for you' but now you asked

Like the trip that caused you to post: you got lucky with so many sale items. I assume you came in under budget. That was a chance to get the ball rolling. Whatever you had extra could be rolled into getting more of the things you know you will consume on sale, and then not need them next week, so there you are with extra next week.
I did have a problem at one point with my food budget. I have resolved that. From a financial prospective, I am just concerned about the bottom line.

As a single person, I do not need to buy certain food items weekly. A box of oatmeal lasts me 12 business days.

I usually walk around with a calculator to make sure I am on target. Some of the sale items did not come off until I was at the register.

I do not spend any money during the work week.The extra money will be there. I will use it towards getting some good take out. I want salmon next week.

The only time I will buy in bulk is if it is buy one and get one free. It works well with oatmeal and rice. Unfortunately, it never happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 08:04 AM

69,297 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I went grocery shopping today and everything was on sale. I came in under budget by almost $7.00.
Good for you, it is always a good feeling when you stay under budget. WE try to only buy what's on sale but not always possible. We also keep our shopping to only 2 stops a week, depending on who has the best buys. No sense wasting gas running all over Hell and 1/2 of Georgia or in our case, 1/2 of AR. Tomorrow is or big monthly shopping, including Sam's. Checking sale prices, we will be doing our small, independent grocery store instead of Aldi's the deals, for what we need are a little better this week.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:11 AM

69,297 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
^^^

That is silly.

I purchase what I need when it is marked down or on sale.

This week's finds:

Jumbo strawberries (good for dipping) $0.79/ qt
Spiral cut honey ham for $1.39
2# boneless pork shoulder blade roast - $0.83/ lb
Eggs - $0.69/ doz

Ah, the joys of price deflation ...
can't rep you again, but that price on the pork roast is really great. I would love to find something like that here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or