U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 07:21 PM

1,481 posts, read 591,958 times

Advertisements

The only reason to take a job for less money is if it is in a field you absolutely love, in a job you would absolutely love. Job satisfaction is worth more than money. But any future increase in earnings are strictly hypothetical. And does he know what this finance job entails and if would even like it and most importantly if he would be good at it? Are there existing employees whose confidence he has to win over, maybe some who wanted this position for themselves? Does he know the job culture at the new company? Does he know if he would like living in NC? It sounds like a very risky move to me, with no guarantees it will work out.

Aren't there opportunities in finance where you are living and/or working now? 40 years ago I was in a similar situation, having been offered the chance to relocate from NYC to Pheonix to take a job in the computer field, which is a field I very much wanted to get into. My wife and I and our baby daughter were there for two weeks, and I got a chance to scope out the company and job and the city. It seemed to me the culture at the job was a very autocratic one, with the boss being a sort of king, and with no opportunities for other employment in Phoenix if the job didn't work out. We both loved Phoenix, but I declined the offer. Fifteen years later at the age of 43 I got that opportunity in NYC at the company I was working for and jumped at it. I spent the next 19 years doing work I absolutely loved, and retired at 62.

Last edited by bobspez; 05-24-2017 at 07:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 03:38 PM

292 posts, read 207,644 times
Sweetbottoms:
$10,000 bonus is not a good reason to move. That accumulated sick time bonus is usually saved for retirement when you'll really need it. That's a big pay cut your dh will be taking. I know he is currently in law enforcement. Does his job currently have a pension and healthcare? If so, I would think long and hard about giving that up. You'll also have to consider state tax now.

I know you're not happy in Naples, FL and wish you luck with your move. I hope you find what you're looking for.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:38 PM

866 posts, read 446,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Hubs and I are weeks out from moving to NC from Fla. Currently salary is $70k with $25k+ in savings and a potential $9k more coming when he leaves his current job. He's switching career paths into finance so we are taking a huge paycut back to $43k. Its not a permanent cut and have the potential to make nearly the same amount he is now in a year or two at the most. Being completely honest we live very comfortably and I've not had to work and not had to actually watch my spending for treats and such. I know that is all about to change and I am perfectly ok with that. I would like some tips/advice from some of the experts here on how its done. Any and all suggestions welcome. I feel a bit nervous about the cut and the fact that I have to go back to work but I'm also excited to finally have the capability to use my culinary degree.
Get. A. Job.

Problem solved.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:10 PM

16,721 posts, read 20,470,484 times
The thing to do is, just not spend any money other than the bare necessities - for at least a couple months. Then, take a realistic assessment of how much is coming in - and the minimum that has to go out.

I just moved back to the SF Bay Area. I'm very low income, and good at knowing what my expenses are. Still, I'm learning about the differences in expenses here vs where I used to live.

And this can be such simple things you'd never really think of. One thing that costs me more than I expected is gas for my truck, for example. And it's not because of more miles driven - turns out, it's because of the additional time spent idling. Sitting in traffic, with the truck idling spends a lot of gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or