U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 08:17 PM

6,308 posts, read 7,987,919 times

Advertisements

Having a freezer and air tight containers makes cooking in larger or family size batches economical. I make pots of veggie soup in my pressure cooker, using many different kinds of veggies. My cost per large bowl of soup is probably no more than $1/bowl, probably more like $.75/bowl. I get about 8 to 10 servings per batch and I freeze several servings and keep 1 or 2 servings ready to microwave in the fridge. I also slice/dice and blanch veggies I won't use right away, so they keep in the freezer for adding to soups or green smoothies. Ditto fruit.

Being willing to cook from scratch and not having a meat-heavy diet can be quite economical. Buying fresh veggies and fruits and not wasting them is important. Whole grains are also very economical (brown rice, bulgar, oats, etc) as well as healthy and beans/legumes too. Having my pressure cooker has transformed my cooking. After soaking dried beans for 6 hrs, they cook in the pressure cooker for 10 min at pressure. I add them to soups and other dishes. You can create a wrap out of lots of different things (beans, rice, veggies, soy, chicken, beef), just have the cooked ingredients ready or frozen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 08:21 PM

6,117 posts, read 3,055,610 times
Let me open QuickBooks.....and this includes dine-in and take-out.....

In 21 years I have spent $137,550, or $6,550/year for 1-4 people over that time. In the early years had both kids at home. Then just the wife. Many times I get food alone now as wife has SOD which makes her eating out tough.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:24 PM

6,308 posts, read 7,987,919 times
While I find I enjoy cooking, I love to eat out. When I lived in San Fran I ate out a lot because of the variety of different kinds of food -- it is a foodie's paradise. Where I live now it's nothing that special and I'm cooking a whole lot more for health reasons, so my eating out budget is quite a bit lower than it was when I was living in a big cosmopolitan city.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:10 AM

704 posts, read 228,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Over your lifetime how much do you estimate you have spent eating out (discounting vacations), I mean eating out that you could've avoided by eating at home instead. Estimate for yourself and your family and give your age.

For myself, early 40s, single, probably have spent $4000/yr averaged out over the last 15 years, so around $60,000. Probably excessive, I could've saved $30,000 if I was more careful. I used to drink daily 2-3 beers, for the last 10 years or so.. my alcohol bill itself is $10,000 in the last decade that's separate from my eating out cost projection, god damn! at least I don't smoke.

I got caught up in a relationship with a woman who had a penchant for eating out and I paid for everything of course, those couple of years I spent like crazy, thank goodness that relationship was terminated. Was bad for my health and my wallet.
I prefer the children size meals when eating out - some places allow this with an adult entree, some places not at all if you're an adult. So for the latter, they basically lose a sale on me because I'll get a side salad or just a baked potato, maybe a mixed drink, never soda pop. I hardly spend much on eating out, as a result. This isn't the real reason for those food choices, though - I just want to have some food within a reasonable caloric intake range, and not have left-overs, basically.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:16 AM

704 posts, read 228,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
As I said, we have picky eaters. Only one of us eats soup. I stopped at the grocery store last night and bought ingredients for two meals. I spent $44.00.

Last night we had homemade cheeseburgers, with grilled squash and mushrooms. I could have gotten this same meal at our local bar for less than $20.00. I could have went to Friendly's and it would have been less than $10 because kids eat free.

Tonight we are having Chicken fajitas. This is on special at the Mexican restaurant tonight. I would have spent right around $20.00.

Add in the fact of prep, stress and clean up. It is way easier and about the same cost to just eat out. Sometimes we dine out for experience, but those are not inexpensive places. Most of the time we are eating out just for food.
Just a quick mention - some houses are built with the kitchen sequestered from activities, so I think that adds to stress - since you cannot see your children but this depends on their ages and whether or not, they are part of food preparation and clean-up.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:19 AM

2,953 posts, read 1,388,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
you are confusing me...with someone WEALTHY.
We gave our assets away pre- age 40 (to our family foundation / charitable giving) We live on what's left (very little).

Food... I can go a few days without any, and I do on occasion.
I Drive a 40 yr old car that gets 50 mpg on free cooking oil. (free fuel since 1976, conserving 64,000gal of Dino fuel for 'others' to burn.)

a lot of money to me is $20 in my wallet, I can't remember the last time I had that much cash laying around.

Do have a few rural view rental homes scattered across desirable locations in USA.

but... nothing fancy (or paid for). They are all rented with a FREE cabin / guesthouse for me.

Just part of 'frugal retirement' as is 'ushering at public concerts / events...to enjoy a free concert (coming up soon! CMNW.org)
(deductible travel and 50% of food is deductible (as allowed by IRS) while attending to rental props)

While traveling (50 - 100% of the time) I MUCH prefer private hospitality guest homes to any other lodging.

People with a PASSION and talent to host and ENJOY, educate and assist others!!! Usually any fees ($10) gets passed on to the next traveler or someone needy. We host via passion to learn and assist others.

Been WONDERFUL for the last 30 yrs... (Worldwide)

Hotels ... yuk... had enough of those in my lifetime, never would be too soon to use another. (tho I did last week... due to a 3AM flight arrival) Usually I just use the airport or rental car. But I was not solo...

Good for you! Sounds like a low stress way to live. Bravo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or