U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 07:49 PM

5,515 posts, read 5,503,750 times

Advertisements

I have struggled with this for a long time. I actually posted a thread on CD to get help. It worked. I was spending well over $500 per month on food. I have gotten it down to $200 per month which includes groceries and take out. The key is preparing your own food.

It was challenging at first but now it is routine. I bring my breakfast and lunch to work everyday without fail. I also eat my dinner at home. I usually do not spend any money until Friday night. I like to treat myself to some take out on Friday. On occasion, I will allow myself to eat some take out on the weekend and take the money out of my discretionary budget. Unfortunately, I abused that benefit last week. I am not ready for the freedom. I will closely adhere to the $200 budget for food and take out. I will, however, use discretionary income when I go out to restaurants. I will limit it to once a month. The exception will be when I am on vacation.

At first, it seem overwhelming but it is worth it. I do not think people realize how much money they spend on eating out. It is crazy. I watch my coworker eat out for breakfast and lunch. I used to be one of them. I cannot go back to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 09:01 PM

3,273 posts, read 1,948,350 times
Good for you, goodlife36! Glad to hear things have been going well for you.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Good for you, goodlife36! Glad to hear things have been going well for you.
Thank you!

Old 05-11-2017, 05:22 AM

69,335 posts, read 79,508,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I have struggled with this for a long time. I actually posted a thread on CD to get help. It worked. I was spending well over $500 per month on food. I have gotten it down to $200 per month which includes groceries and take out. The key is preparing your own food.

It was challenging at first but now it is routine. I bring my breakfast and lunch to work everyday without fail. I also eat my dinner at home. I usually do not spend any money until Friday night. I like to treat myself to some take out on Friday. On occasion, I will allow myself to eat some take out on the weekend and take the money out of my discretionary budget. Unfortunately, I abused that benefit last week. I am not ready for the freedom. I will closely adhere to the $200 budget for food and take out. I will, however, use discretionary income when I go out to restaurants. I will limit it to once a month. The exception will be when I am on vacation.

At first, it seem overwhelming but it is worth it. I do not think people realize how much money they spend on eating out. It is crazy. I watch my coworker eat out for breakfast and lunch. I used to be one of them. I cannot go back to that.
sounds like you have control and that is good. $200 isn't over the top by any means. You know if we really think about it, except when we are very busy or out shopping and not near home, what in the world is the satisfaction of grabbing a cheap, fast food sandwich that isn't even healthy? You $5 to $10 and have nothing much to show for it.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:37 AM

13,388 posts, read 7,140,948 times
Probably a couple hundred a month, mostly on Indian buffets. Of course I don't know, but the food seems minimally processed and good quality - and things I'd not be able to replicate easily at home. Goat, lamb - too hard to find fresh and too expensive even if I could, plus fish, chicken, lots of fancy breads - so I feel okay about it. Each Indian dish is practically a buffet in itself with so many ingredients going into it!

Old 05-11-2017, 06:51 AM

6,911 posts, read 3,745,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I really have no idea. My family doesn't eat out often, but we lived in San Diego county for awhile and there are glorious Mexican restaurants that we went to at least once a month and probably more often because the food was so good. That was too long ago to remember what we spent.

Also, we lived in Maryland for one year and there was this little chicken shack-- literally, the size of a tool shed where only one customer at a time could stand inside. That guy made the very best barbecued chicken in the entire world. You went in and they handed you a whole chicken and 4 slices of cheap white bread. I could never figure out what seasoning he was using, so we bought one of those chickens every week.

Other than that, I make better food at home than we can buy in restaurants and we eat at home.
Where was the chicken shack in MD?

Old 05-11-2017, 06:55 AM

6,911 posts, read 3,745,064 times
I do not want to know. We eat out often. I cannot cook. I have been fixing food at home the last couple weeks and the kids had a meltdown last night. They want to go out and have a decent meal that tastes good. I really do not find eating out expensive compared to grocery shopping, as we order water and often get lunch specials or kids meals. Now if someone is more skilled in the kitchen, can plan meals and not quite as picky, cooking at home could be cheaper.

Old 05-11-2017, 04:02 PM

22,728 posts, read 21,787,854 times
I don't want to know either. The figure would probably curl my hair.

Old 05-11-2017, 04:15 PM

6,777 posts, read 2,629,921 times
I'm not good at guessing stuff like this, but I eat lunch out with friends at least once a week - but my husband and I go out to dinner less than once a month.

Since this is the economics forum, I wanted to mention I have a friend who taught me that anything on the menu is going to taste good. You'll enjoy the chicken patty melt that's 8.99 as much as the filet mignon that's 24.99, and an hour later it won't make a difference what you had.

That's for people who have few food preferences, I guess, but I order the cheapest entree and it's always good.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
sounds like you have control and that is good. $200 isn't over the top by any means. You know if we really think about it, except when we are very busy or out shopping and not near home, what in the world is the satisfaction of grabbing a cheap, fast food sandwich that isn't even healthy? You $5 to $10 and have nothing much to show for it.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or