U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 01:46 PM

5,474 posts, read 8,162,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Why is it that dining out is often the only thing that's singled out as a waste of money?

Going to movies often costs more, especially when you factor in popcorn, drinks and snacks. Then there is buying clothes you don't need, gym memberships, cable t.v., drinking any beverage other than tap water....the list goes on and on. I'm just wondering why dining out is considered the only waste of money.
I think I went to a movie a year ago.
Went before 5 because it's cheaper, and I never waste money on concessions. I'd rather go out to eat a meal for the same price!
Clothes (name brand) come from the thrift store
No gym, there's plenty of productive things to do for exercise
No cable
I do drink other than water because I got sick of water in Iraq.
Juce from dent can stores
Milk from my buddies cow.
I buy sodas 2x/year when they go on sale.

And to answer to your question is because of:
1. How expensive they are
2. How easily it can be avoided.
3. How often people do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 05:21 AM

5,514 posts, read 5,496,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Why is it that dining out is often the only thing that's singled out as a waste of money?

Going to movies often costs more, especially when you factor in popcorn, drinks and snacks. Then there is buying clothes you don't need, gym memberships, cable t.v., drinking any beverage other than tap water....the list goes on and on. I'm just wondering why dining out is considered the only waste of money.
People tend to over indulge when it comes to food. Have you ever tallied up your total out of pocket expense for food? Groceries, takeout and dining out can really eat up your wallet.

Things got so bad for me that I was spending over $500 per month for food. I am single. That is ridiculous. I cannot afford that. I was being wasteful.

I have it under control but is not without effort. I have to walk around the grocery store with a calculator to ensure I do not exceed my budget. I have to cook.

All of those other expenses you mentioned does not touch food. If you can afford it, I say rock on. I can't.

Old 05-13-2017, 07:12 AM

14,072 posts, read 20,140,553 times
We're heading to NYC for a week starting tomorrow. I'm sure we'll drop A LOT on eating out and it will be worth every penny!

Old 05-13-2017, 07:26 AM

64,577 posts, read 66,100,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
People tend to over indulge when it comes to food. Have you ever tallied up your total out of pocket expense for food? Groceries, takeout and dining out can really eat up your wallet.

Things got so bad for me that I was spending over $500 per month for food. I am single. That is ridiculous. I cannot afford that. I was being wasteful.

I have it under control but is not without effort. I have to walk around the grocery store with a calculator to ensure I do not exceed my budget. I have to cook.

All of those other expenses you mentioned does not touch food. If you can afford it, I say rock on. I can't.
over 20k last year on food and eating out . just our normal shopping for the two of us is about 200 a week , maybe more some weeks .

we have 5 grand kids and 3 sets of kids and spouses we see regularly and bring lunch or we go out sometimes . it all adds up .

Old 05-13-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
We're heading to NYC for a week starting tomorrow. I'm sure we'll drop A LOT on eating out and it will be worth every penny!
Vacation is different. It is all a part of the experience.

Old 05-13-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
over 20k last year on food and eating out . just our normal shopping for the two of us is about 200 a week , maybe more some weeks .

we have 5 grand kids and 3 sets of kids and spouses we see regularly and bring lunch or we go out sometimes . it all adds up .
That is a lot of money Mathjak. Wow! My budget is $200 for the month. Lol! As long as you can afford it, that is all that matters.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:09 AM

food in nyc ,even the boroughs is high . i am diabetic so cheap rice and pasta dishes are out for the most part .

Old 05-13-2017, 08:43 AM

I understand. What type of food do you eat?

Lamb is expensive.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:04 AM

we are generally on the go being retired so usually we will grab a lunch out . typically i stick to a lot of chicken dishes , low salt , low fat and salads . typical diners get about 12-15 bucks .

Old 05-13-2017, 03:31 PM

3,044 posts, read 992,283 times
since being introduced to Grub Hub I noticed I been eating out a lot more and need to cut down on eating out some much. I think I started eating out because I have the option to order from multiple restaurants all around the city versus when I only was able to order from places in my local area.

I need to set a cap amount on eating on a monthly basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or