Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 10:42 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times

Advertisements

Over your lifetime how much do you estimate you have spent eating out (discounting vacations), I mean eating out that you could've avoided by eating at home instead. Estimate for yourself and your family and give your age.

For myself, early 40s, single, probably have spent $4000/yr averaged out over the last 15 years, so around $60,000. Probably excessive, I could've saved $30,000 if I was more careful. I used to drink daily 2-3 beers, for the last 10 years or so.. my alcohol bill itself is $10,000 in the last decade that's separate from my eating out cost projection, god damn! at least I don't smoke.

I got caught up in a relationship with a woman who had a penchant for eating out and I paid for everything of course, those couple of years I spent like crazy, thank goodness that relationship was terminated. Was bad for my health and my wallet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 04:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
not including booze, I am guessing at this stage of our lives we don't spend more than about $600 a year, maybe a little more. We do lunch about twice a month at most and dinner only a couple of times. Dinner is usually at our favorite Mexican restaurant and it is very inexpensive. We do go for breakfast once in awhile if we are out on Sat morning at the farmers market or on Sunday, after church. Now for booze, I have to admit, if it wasn't for my wine, we would save a lot more money.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:55 AM

106,557 posts, read 108,713,667 times
tens of thousands if not more , since we do it a lot an enjoy it . we recently waited a year to experience the old stone barn at blue hill . one of the most famous restaurants in ny . dinner was a fixed 550.00 without wine or 850 with . it was an incredible experience.

it is something we would do once .

Old 05-09-2017, 04:58 AM

6,744 posts, read 3,360,889 times
We get take-out every Friday night and go out for dinner about once a month. I would guess we probably spend $200/month total or about $2500/year.

That would come out to about $60,000 over the years, but it's worth it to not have to eat my wife's cooking.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
just remembered: i do have lunch out a couple times a month when I play bridge; so add to my list abouth $20 a month: hubby does the same with his church buddy lunch group. Of course none of what we spend now compares to what we spent all the years we were working.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:02 AM

106,557 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
We get take-out every Friday night and go out for dinner about once a month. I would guess we probably spend $200/month total or about $2500/year.

That would come out to about $60,000 over the years, but it's worth it to not have to eat my wife's cooking.
for those who have seen my wife posting over in the photography section her screen name is badcook5 .

we say our prayers after we eat ha ha ha ha .... leave some dental floss on the floor and the roaches will hang themselves .

Old 05-09-2017, 09:10 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
I really have no idea. My family doesn't eat out often, but we lived in San Diego county for awhile and there are glorious Mexican restaurants that we went to at least once a month and probably more often because the food was so good. That was too long ago to remember what we spent.

Also, we lived in Maryland for one year and there was this little chicken shack-- literally, the size of a tool shed where only one customer at a time could stand inside. That guy made the very best barbecued chicken in the entire world. You went in and they handed you a whole chicken and 4 slices of cheap white bread. I could never figure out what seasoning he was using, so we bought one of those chickens every week.

Other than that, I make better food at home than we can buy in restaurants and we eat at home.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:14 AM

242 posts, read 231,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Over your lifetime how much do you estimate you have spent eating out (discounting vacations), I mean eating out that you could've avoided by eating at home instead. Estimate for yourself and your family and give your age.
My husband and I love eating out! We enjoy good food, good atmosphere and each other's company. I consider it money well spent. In addition, I enjoy cooking and we dine at home as well. After being married the first time to someone who only wanted to eat at home and "eating out" was ordering a pizza and bringing it home, I appreciate each and every dining out experience with my present husband. It makes me happy, which makes him happy! I couldn't even estimate what we spend eating out. Let's see...we ate out Friday, Saturday, Sunday twice, and yesterday lunch. That's just this past weekend......

Old 05-09-2017, 10:15 AM

242 posts, read 231,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
for those who have seen my wife posting over in the photography section her screen name is badcook5 .

We say our prayers after we eat ha ha ha ha .... Leave some dental floss on the floor and the roaches will hang themselves .
lol

Old 05-09-2017, 10:20 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
I'm just not terribly impressed by expensive restaurants. I've eaten at Windows on the World, Joe's Stone Crab, and other spots, but like owsmoke, sometimes a hole-in-the-wall place will have something I really like or could be a challenge to prepare, but most of the time I like cooking at home and knowing what is going into my food. Living in the boonies now, that is a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living