Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 10:05 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,451,525 times

Advertisements

So...long story short, my cell phone service provider pissed me off now I plan to completely cancel our service with them. I have been comparing my options with other companies (both cellular and landline) and nothing really seems to be a very good deal...

So...I had a brainstorm idea! Why not just set up our nice smartphones to use wifi calling, for free! So I looked into it and it is very possible; I ended up using google voice and google hangouts dialer (I'm sure there are other ways to do it too). Anyway, now my wife and I each have a new phone number provided by google (free of charge), and we can make unlimited calls and texts nationwide as long as we are somewhere that has wifi (we have wifi at home so this is immediately better than a landline phone due to having no long distance charges and being absolutely free). A lot of the other places we go have wifi as well (gym, library, etc) so we will be able to use it there too. I also plan to get my wife a "lifeline" or "lifelink" phones (whatever its called (it's that government sponsered free cell phone) for emergencies.

So...I just completely eliminated my phone bill. I went from $110 per month to $0.00! Has anybody else done this? Any feedback?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 02:03 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Good for you!

As for me, I prefer to keep the old landline for $20/mo.
Better than cellular or wifi, IMHO, for emergencies and reliability.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:09 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,042 times
I'm all about saving money, but I think I'd rather pay $110/month than go through the hassle of trying to locate usable Wifi every time I want to use the phone. I am intrigued by the commercials I've been hearing about Walmart's phone plans. Supposedly, they can cut your phone bill in half while still using the major carriers' cell towers, and data is included. I wonder if anyone on here has used them.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:14 PM

374 posts, read 492,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
I'm all about saving money, but I think I'd rather pay $110/month than go through the hassle of trying to locate usable Wifi every time I want to use the phone. I am intrigued by the commercials I've been hearing about Walmart's phone plans. Supposedly, they can cut your phone bill in half while still using the major carriers' cell towers, and data is included. I wonder if anyone on here has used them.

Love Walmart phone plan, use to have corporate Verizon ( nightmare). I wanted Boost, but they don't have in my area. Now love Walmart plan, unlimited text, phone, great android ( use Linux so love android) smart phone and half the bill 45.00 a month. Never dropped a call, never problems traveling etc.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:39 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
As for me, I prefer to keep the old landline for $20/mo.
Better than cellular or wifi, IMHO, for emergencies and reliability.
May I ask, how do you get a landline for $20.00 a month? We had a landline phone until 2012 thru
Comcast (other option available was ATT) now it's a cell. I do miss having a landline for a couple
of reasons.

Last edited by baileyvpotter; 01-10-2015 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 01-10-2015, 06:43 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
That is the cost for Verizon basic service in my area.
No long distance, no caller ID, etc.

Back to the OP... how do you make calls traveling on interstates, etc?

Old 01-10-2015, 06:46 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,909,005 times
I am currently trying Pure Talk at $20 a month ( tax and everything included) for 1000 minutes. You can also text with this plan. Each text uses 1/3 of a minute cell time. I'm not using their data plan at this time, only cell time. Cell service is fantastic.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:38 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
I went with WalMart's Straight talk, My phone run on the Verizon network, my Sons, runs on the ATT network. ~50/month each.

I ported our old number to Google Voice (onetime fee of $20) and use the app so my number did not change.

If i want to change/lose the phone etc, I just get a new one ,a "New number" that I dont use is issued to it.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:05 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I went with WalMart's Straight talk, My phone run on the Verizon network, my Sons, runs on the ATT network. ~50/month each.

I ported our old number to Google Voice (onetime fee of $20) and use the app so my number did not change.

If i want to change/lose the phone etc, I just get a new one ,a "New number" that I dont use is issued to it.
Straight Talk is what I was thinking of earlier. So, your phone runs on Verizon, and your son's runs on ATT... Does it pick up the strongest signal in your area, or do you choose a carrier to stick with? I used to have Sprint at my house, and I couldn't talk on the phone for more than 10 seconds without it dropping, so I don't want to use their network.

Are you as happy with Straight Talk as you were with a big carrier?

Old 01-10-2015, 08:21 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
Not sure how Straight talk picks what network we are on, (But it does not change, I stay on V, Son on A) We did not get a choice.

All 3 ATT/Verzion/Sprint have very good coverage where we live, (Had all 3 since i've lived in GA in last 10 years).

When we get outside the suburban area, I found Sprint's Roaming, somewhat iffy.

Had ATT, when Moved here in 2003, switched to Verizon for 4 year, then Sprint for 4.

Since Straight Talk run on the on the others networks, I don't have any issues, any where in the US that I've been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living