Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2017, 10:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times

Advertisements

TAZORAK

I certainly agree with you on that. I don't have to eat top of the line meats, but we want our meat to be exactly that: meat, not fillers.

As for Dollar Tree; we do not have one around here but we do have $ General; Just a few days ago I first shopped at our local independent grocery store which we like, but they can be pricey on some items. Then, what I didn't want to pay the price for at store A, I got at $ General: here are some examples: rice a roni, store A, $1.59 a box: $ General 4 for @3.85. Sure jell for canning, $3.59 a box store A, $2.25 at $G. Ramen noodles: $69 each at store A: 4 for a buck at $ gen. Like everything, when you buy you need to know prices and shop with your brain, as well as your pocket book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 04:39 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
I confess, I'm a closet Dollar Tree freak, I love that place!

They always have Libby's canned green beans for 79 cents a can...we eat them, & vet said they're a good, low-calorie treat for our tubby little dog.

I have always liked Yardley's Old English lavender soap...I use the bars in closets and drawers...Dollar Tree always has it.

We're painting our house..I buy paint brushes & roller covers. Just toss them rather than rinsing paint down into the septic system from an over-priced brush.

Other regular purchases include wet wipes, paper napkins, Bounty paper towels, foil, waxed paper, trash bags, sandwich & gallon-size baggies, brooms, shower curtain liners, laundry detergent, bleach, dish soap, generic Woolite, other cleaning products as needed, liquid hand soap, antibacterial hand gel, hair accessories, reading glasses, gift wrapping supplies, greeting cards (2 for a dollar is great, I hate spending a lot for a card) cotton swabs, cotton rounds, toothbrushes, generic Benadryl, rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, large Curad bandages, spices, movie candy, makeup (when I'm familiar with brand), lip balm, holiday-themed serving dishes, disposable razors, a kind of cookie my husband likes, dog treats, dog toys, cooking accessories like spatulas, peanut butter to disguise the dogs' medications, big boxes of green teabags, various kinds of tape (duct, etc.), USB cables...

The list goes on. Everything I purchase is something that is needed & used, never an impulse buy, & I do go in with a list. I keep away from the frozen food, as a lot of it is from China.

Not every Dollar Tree is equal. Where I now live, the store is large, clean & well-stocked...where I previously lived, not so much.

I get a kick watching some Youtubers making Dollar Tree dinners...all ingredients from Dollar Tree...some are quite creative!

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 06-12-2017 at 05:01 AM.. Reason: Remembered more stuff

Old 06-12-2017, 08:08 AM

14,169 posts, read 9,064,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
TAZORAK

I certainly agree with you on that. I don't have to eat top of the line meats, but we want our meat to be exactly that: meat, not fillers.

As for Dollar Tree; we do not have one around here but we do have $ General; Just a few days ago I first shopped at our local independent grocery store which we like, but they can be pricey on some items. Then, what I didn't want to pay the price for at store A, I got at $ General: here are some examples: rice a roni, store A, $1.59 a box: $ General 4 for @3.85. Sure jell for canning, $3.59 a box store A, $2.25 at $G. Ramen noodles: $69 each at store A: 4 for a buck at $ gen. Like everything, when you buy you need to know prices and shop with your brain, as well as your pocket book.
Absolutely.

This may sound like nit-picking, but strictly speaking, Dollar General and its rival Family Dollar, which Dollar Tree Stores acquired two years ago, aren't true "dollar stores."

By that I mean that the dollar store is our modern-day resuscitation of the original five-and-dime founded by F.W. Woolworth in Utica, N.Y., in the late 1850s. Those stores were called "five and dime" stores because everything in them had a price of either five or ten cents, no variations.

Dollar Tree stores remain "dollar stores" in that original sense: everything in them has a price of $1.

The other two chains specialize in everyday low prices, but those prices can range as high as $10, depending on the item sold.

Dollar Tree operated a value-priced chain in the mold of Family Dollar and Dollar General called Deal$. I liked shopping there because the stores had a wide selection of merchandise, including things like dinnerware and small appliances, at very attractive prices. After buying Family Dollar, Dollar Tree converted all its Deal$ stores to regular Dollar Tree outlets. The Dollar Tree I shop at on Germantown's west side had been a Deal$.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Absolutely.

This may sound like nit-picking, but strictly speaking, Dollar General and its rival Family Dollar, which Dollar Tree Stores acquired two years ago, aren't true "dollar stores."

By that I mean that the dollar store is our modern-day resuscitation of the original five-and-dime founded by F.W. Woolworth in Utica, N.Y., in the late 1850s. Those stores were called "five and dime" stores because everything in them had a price of either five or ten cents, no variations.

Dollar Tree stores remain "dollar stores" in that original sense: everything in them has a price of $1.

The other two chains specialize in everyday low prices, but those prices can range as high as $10, depending on the item sold.

Dollar Tree operated a value-priced chain in the mold of Family Dollar and Dollar General called Deal$. I liked shopping there because the stores had a wide selection of merchandise, including things like dinnerware and small appliances, at very attractive prices. After buying Family Dollar, Dollar Tree converted all its Deal$ stores to regular Dollar Tree outlets. The Dollar Tree I shop at on Germantown's west side had been a Deal$.
You bring up a very good point and no, I do not consider it nit picking. We did used to shop at a $ Tree in NM. It went out of business, but why I do not know. I do remember it was pretty junky. We have one not too far from us here. I will have to pop in one of these days.

As for $ General being more like a 5 and dime. I never thought about it quite that way, but guess it makes sense. We called them dime stores in Calif or nickel and dime. I didn't hear them called 5 and dime until we moved east. I do remember them being call 5 and 10 cent store. In fact the song: I met her at the 5 and 10 cent store was an old song from the 40s if I remember right.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:01 PM

720 posts, read 765,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Absolutely.

Not nit picking at all they aren't the same. In Dollar Tree, you're not going to find anything for more than $1. Period.

I love it. I belong to three different FB groups for DT, I'm addicted to their fake nails. For $1 my hands look great and no pricey salon visits. I don't buy food there but only because I don't eat what they sell, when I did, I bought their snacks and sodas.

I buy cleaning supplies, office supplies, batteries, some makeup, and basically whatever I see that I want.

You have to see what some of those folks in the crafts group come up with using DT supplies, some of it is practically ART!

Old 06-15-2017, 10:30 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
My local Dollar Tree, not close, never has anything good. The freezers are always nearly empty and there's no name brand food--other than chips and some candy. The one time I bought shampoo, it turned out to be gelatinous goop which didn't lather. It's not worth the price of gas for me.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:54 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,202,163 times
My people My people - so happy to see this thread! My entire home is loaded with Dollar Tree finds. Dvds. Knick Knacks like mirrors, picture frames, a few cool decorative items, vases, floral arrangements, charger plates. placemats, storage boxes. Tons of kitchen stuff - knives, potholders, matching kitchen towels, egg slicer, tomatoe corer, ice cream scoop, kitchen scissors. These things are sold elsewhere so much more and all the stuff works great. Lightbulbs, pens, notebooks, office supplies, socks, toys - crafts & gift wrap. Chips, crackers, bagels, popcorn. Holiday stuff every season. Toys - I keep a few for treats if company comes. Bought bingo, checkers, chess. Car mats. Kitchen mat. Gas additive for the car, wiper fluid, steering wheel cover. I look online for new arrivals every week. Like I said - my whole house.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:28 AM

1,625 posts, read 1,356,056 times
I see that Dollar Tree has a loyalty program called the Value Seekers Club, but there's no info on the website other than a sign-up. Can anyone here describe what you get for being a member?

Also, if you join their email list, how often do they email you? Thanks.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:55 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,546 times
I'll highlight a couple things I have found regularly likeable...like the little windmill fan spinners for the garden...only available a month or so in spring here. If one or two eventually break, buy more.

Also like buying chips, snacks, etc. here (even some cookies). The packages are smaller size at a comparably good price to larger ones in other stores, but we don't eat as many at a time as with bigger packages, and they are fresher when using the smaller bags, because we don't have half a big bag in the drawer. They also have some interesting 'off brands' of stuff we like (yes they are mostly reputable US brands, just not local ones). I always carefully look for the country of origin...and am very selective about what we buy in food.

I have also found some nice little electronic stuff there...like car phone chargers (admittedly occasionally they didn't work well, so now I check that it is REALLY working) and some nifty little flashlights, including some pen size with LED lights and mini laser pointer. These items go in the cars and drawers so I don't have to hunt for them when needed.

As I mentioned earlier (probably in this thread) I like the greeting cards...good value...and plenty of other things.

Just a fun store to browse in occasionally, you never know what you'll find.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:23 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post

Also, if you join their email list, how often do they email you? Thanks.
That is in your control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living