U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 07:04 PM

374 posts, read 208,011 times

Advertisements

After using only flip phones, this week we bought our first smartphone, an unlocked Motorola G4 Play at Walmart for $74. We haven't loaded a SIM card yet but have been using our home wi-fi to set it up. Hubby has been pushing for a smartphone because he feels we are falling way behind with technology. Although I'm happy with my flip phone, I understand where he's coming from and was thrilled to find such a good little phone for such a good price.

I have been searching for the best provider for us. We don't need unlimited everything because we won't use it. We decided to give Twigby a try. They run off Sprint with Verizon as a backup, both of which are strong in our area. The SIM card was only $2.99 with free shipping and should be here in a couple of days. With their low prices and service that seems to fit us, I figure it is worth spending $2.99 to see how the service runs. The savings would be great if it works well. With the lowest priced talk combined with the lowest priced data plan, the bill will be $12 monthly plus any standard tax-type fees. Texting and roaming are free. You can choose to participate in their plan to avoid overages or, if you go over, you can agree to bump your service to the next level. It sounds very good, and I'm crossing my fingers Twigby will be the right one.

I know we won't use the smartphone like most do, which is one reason why I've held off on buying one until now. I'll admit that it has been fun setting it up and learning all about it. And, it's nice having another device for the internet since hubby and I share a desktop computer now. It works great on our home wi-fi, and of course I love that because we're paying for wi-fi anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 02:04 PM

886 posts, read 356,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
I've seen cell phones for as high as 700 dollars....in todays world your almost REQUIRED to have a cell phone, which means an additional monthly bill that you didn't have to worry about 15 years ago.

What type of cell phone do you all have and with what carrier?

As crazy as it sounds, I have 2 tracfones (pay as you go and I just add money to them about every month and a half). They both were 19.99 when I bought them!

I still have a house phone and use that mostly. I only use the cell phone when I'm outside and need to make a phone call, which isn't often
We both have Smartphones and use MetroPcs. No landlines for us simply because it would be an unnecessary, extra expense.

But I do admit that if the power ever goes out for an extended period of time and our cells were dead or very low on power at the time, we'd be screwed.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:15 AM

3,335 posts, read 921,067 times
iPhone 6. Always purchase the phone, then use a pre-pay service. I use Verizon pre-pay, at $45 a month unlimited everything, with automatic payment monthly. Only way to go.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:23 PM

741 posts, read 548,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
iPhone 6. Always purchase the phone, then use a pre-pay service. I use Verizon pre-pay, at $45 a month unlimited everything, with automatic payment monthly. Only way to go.
How is the internet speed with your phone?

Old 08-20-2017, 10:58 PM

2,462 posts, read 1,206,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post

That must be an old plan. There's no such plan exist today.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:18 PM

2,276 posts, read 930,377 times
An LG V20.

I like the phone but starting to dislike my mobile carrier.

I had been with Sprint for years (15+) and switched to T-Mobile last year because Sprint's customer service had devolved and they kept tacking on various fees and such. I'm not an especially frugal person or easily annoyed by these things but when paired with rude customer service...I finally had enough.

T-Mobile was great at first. Now we are having trouble with them trying to charge for services that we don't use, etc.

I think that my friends with the "pay as you go" plans are the smartest of the bunch...

Old 08-21-2017, 08:38 AM

3,273 posts, read 1,951,012 times
Samsung Galaxy S6. It will be paid for next month, and then my wireless bill will only consist of cell service, not the phone payment. I have no plans to upgrade it to a newer phone. And yippee! No early termination fee if I decide to go with another plan besides Verizon's. I will wait and see what my new bill looks like before making a decision.

I use the phone mainly for texting and for making/receiving calls. I rarely turn the wireless or mobile data features on, but I can't say I never do that.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:51 AM

10,274 posts, read 6,515,435 times
I have a ZTE ZMax Pro Android that I bought for $99 from MetroPCS the plan is only $30 a month. I got this phone because it has 32 G of memory and all the other cheap ones have 8 and half is taken by the operating system and before this I would have to delete apps when I wanted a new one, now I don't have to. It also has a fingerprint sensor which is nice for cheaper phones, a large screen and good cameras.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:08 AM

977 posts, read 819,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
That must be an old plan. There's no such plan exist today.
Verizon does offer a pre paid plan with limitations of course.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:48 PM

Location: Follow the oil exhaust cloud until you run out of gas, then turn left
790 posts, read 226,813 times
A Crapple (i.e. expensive throwaway toy) phone from work so they foot the bill. They issued those stupid things to everybody 3 years or so ago. I still give everybody the direct number to my desk like I always have done. I don't even remember the last time I turned it on in fact I don't think I've even taken it out of the box. Betcha the nonreplaceable battery's probably completely shot.

Cell phones are a tether. I hate cell phones. Hate hate hate hate hate cell phones. Hate them. If it were up to me I wouldn't have one at all, though as it is I practically don't anyways. I refuse to use them because I really don't want to start down that extremely slippery slope of beconming one of "those people". I'd like to think I've learned my lesson from watching the kind of mindless zombie slave my dad has let himself become to his over the last 15+ years. No thanks. Life is stressful enough without all that added grief.</rant>

Last edited by Ttark; 08-28-2017 at 08:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or