U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 07:07 AM

10,148 posts, read 13,838,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs123 View Post
I'm sticking with my Verizon LG Revere 3 flip phone for as long as I can to keep costs down.

I like smart phones but I don't need one. I'm not into texting (I blocked that feature on my flip due to tons of sales texts) and I don't need to be online all day (I have a laptop at home and at work I'm on work apps). People can email or if they need to contact me ASAP they can call, which has been working just fine.
Same here. LG VZ flipper. I could get an iPhone real cheap with a two year plan but I want to stay on a month to month plan. Grandfathered in at $39.99 with 450 7am-9pm weekday minutes and the rest free. Apple or Samsung phone would not fit well in pants pocket, would likely fall out of shirt pocket, require a case, and I do not want a phone on a belt clip. No need to be online away from home and how do people see anything on those tiny screens even the 4-5 inch diagonals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 07:17 AM

5,162 posts, read 2,994,994 times
Trac fone from Walmart. I pay for a year. Keep it charged and off. Never check it.

Keep it with me when I go anywhere alone and use it strictly for emergencies.

I used to pay fifty a month for a little nicer phone Then I realized anyone I called with it automatically had my number. I was bombarded with ads and texts from people "too busy" to talk to me. Why spend that money for something I don't use that causes irritation?

And I'm such an old fogey that I won't even spend time with people with a phone habit. Want to swat them with a newspaper!

Old 05-28-2017, 07:43 AM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
Out of all your phones, which has the best reception? I think its time for me to purchase a NEW PHONE from tracfone, because the on im using now doesn't work.
That depends a lot on what service provider is in your area.

I live near I-95, it cuts right through our town. Verizon has towers all along I-95. Anyone who lives near the interstate I-95 [betyween the towers] should get a strong signal from Verizon.

Towns to either side of us lack towers, so they have no cellphone signal.

When our children come to visit they can not get any signal here. They live in Kansas and their contracts are with a service provider out there.

When we moved to Maine we were living in Ct and we had a contract with a local phone service provider there. That was before Verizon moved into Maine and bought towers here. So I located the towers and asked who owned them. It was a local provider and I got a contract with them. A few years later Verizon moved into Maine, they bought these towers and took over the contracts.

If you need cellphone signals, you may need to look at where your nearest tower is, and who owns it.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:43 AM

3,962 posts, read 1,590,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
I've seen cell phones for as high as 700 dollars....in todays world your almost REQUIRED to have a cell phone, which means an additional monthly bill that you didn't have to worry about 15 years ago.

What type of cell phone do you all have and with what carrier?

As crazy as it sounds, I have 2 tracfones (pay as you go and I just add money to them about every month and a half). They both were 19.99 when I bought them!

I still have a house phone and use that mostly. I only use the cell phone when I'm outside and need to make a phone call, which isn't often
I have an iPhone. And I'm pretty unapologetic about it.

Because I am self-employed, it's not a phone. It's a handheld computer, a productivity tool. I use it to make phone calls, receive and send e-mail, get directions, take photos and videos, book airline reservation, make appointments, make hotel and dinner reservations in a strange town, keep track of team members on a project, bill clients, keep a record of my receipts, track weather, etc. etc. etc.

If you took my iPhone away from me, I'd break your arm.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:09 PM

11,612 posts, read 5,457,812 times
To have a smart phone with AT&T this one was the best deal for me. I paid $120 gut they are cheaper now. Under $100 and it does everything I need. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 05-30-2017, 10:02 PM

18,717 posts, read 4,703,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Trac fone from Walmart. I pay for a year. Keep it charged and off. Never check it.

Keep it with me when I go anywhere alone and use it strictly for emergencies.

I used to pay fifty a month for a little nicer phone Then I realized anyone I called with it automatically had my number. I was bombarded with ads and texts from people "too busy" to talk to me. Why spend that money for something I don't use that causes irritation?

And I'm such an old fogey that I won't even spend time with people with a phone habit. Want to swat them with a newspaper!
We also have Tracfones from Walmart, barely use them, only when we are out. Still have a landline.

Old 05-31-2017, 03:11 PM

30,325 posts, read 31,191,100 times
I have an iphone 6 that I was given as a gift.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:48 PM

15,148 posts, read 15,204,207 times
Tmobile prepaid..........talk/text only.

Old 06-04-2017, 10:16 AM

14,072 posts, read 20,140,553 times
I've had the IPhone since the day it came out. I pay the full cost so I'm not locked into any contracts. I'm waiting for the 8 to come out

Old 06-08-2017, 10:55 AM

58 posts, read 34,022 times
Bought a Tracfone, LG Rebel, off of Home Shopping Network for $80. That included 1 year of service, 1200 minutes, 1200 texts and 1.2 GB of data. I then got a Google Voice account which lets me call and text for FREE through a WiFi connection.

We also have a OBi100 that uses a Google Voice number for our home phone that lets us call for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or