U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 12:20 PM

1,572 posts, read 597,786 times

Advertisements

I have some old Nokia that I got free from somebody. It's a TracFone so I pay the minimum $20 for 90 days of service. The phone doesn't take pictures or anything, just texts and calls. I'm not a phone guy so it works for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 01:05 PM

741 posts, read 546,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanker View Post
I have some old Nokia that I got free from somebody. It's a TracFone so I pay the minimum $20 for 90 days of service. The phone doesn't take pictures or anything, just texts and calls. I'm not a phone guy so it works for me.
Might be the cheapest phone/plan in the thread.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:07 AM

5,514 posts, read 5,496,825 times
I have T Mobile.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:17 AM

4,328 posts, read 4,426,600 times
just ruined my old 5c this weekend, so I am gonna have to upgrade. I found a website called swappa.com that has some decent reviews for selling used phones. I found a seller that sells corporate phones that have been traded in. Got me and my wife an Iphone 6 plus with 64gb of data for $339/piece. Other places when I was searching for refurbished phones they were asking $5-$600 for them. The seller had great reviews, so we shall see.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:07 AM

22 posts, read 11,528 times
iPhone 3S. Hand me down from wife. Works for me

Old 06-17-2017, 07:39 PM

1,305 posts, read 833,299 times
I have a trac phone too...but mine takes pictures. No selfies tho.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:59 AM

4,328 posts, read 4,426,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
just ruined my old 5c this weekend, so I am gonna have to upgrade. I found a website called swappa.com that has some decent reviews for selling used phones. I found a seller that sells corporate phones that have been traded in. Got me and my wife an Iphone 6 plus with 64gb of data for $339/piece. Other places when I was searching for refurbished phones they were asking $5-$600 for them. The seller had great reviews, so we shall see.
Update. The phones came in, they were essentially as good as new. No dings on the casing, almost no scratches on the screen, etc. The bad news....my 5c started working again the day after the new phones came in We are going to try to resell my wife's phone, but given the receiver on my phone is very quiet I don't think it would be eligible for a resell unless I bought a new part, so we will probably keep that phone as a potential backup and put it in a survivor case and let my 2 year old play with it. I'm thinking we can get $120 for my wife's phone which would bring the overall cost for our 2 phones down to $279/piece.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:32 PM

1,036 posts, read 546,064 times
On of my daughters, her husband, and 2 of her kids got new phones, the newest models out there all on one plan... and the thing is I can hardly her them on any of them. I don't have a problem hearing anybody else on my little expanded keyboard dumb phone. I think they're AT&T phones of some sort.

DH still with his little flip phone. An upgrade from the old Nokia the cell provider would no longer cover with their network. And YES people laugh at him when he brings it out. And they laugh at me. Mine has the look of the old Blackberry. Remember when that was all the rage?

Someday I will switch over. But I will look for the best deal. Some of you pay outrageous fees.

Smart phones are becoming larger and larger. I don't know how men carry them around. My friend (man) hates his, it's too big for his pockets. Brings to mind when transistor radios came out, they were really tiny. A few years later guys were be-bopping down the street with big boom boxes on their shoulders!

I am not out and about very much. I do all my computing work at home. We do have a gps for directions. Living like this, do I really need one?

Old 06-20-2017, 12:40 PM

10,521 posts, read 11,628,203 times
Tracfone flip phone. About $10 a month.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:01 PM

307 posts, read 537,198 times
I got some ATT relatively inexpensive smartphone Z something or other; purchased it about 3 years ago. I use the Go Phone plan pay-as-you-go. I paid about 70 for it. I can take pictures, but not selfies, which I am fine with. Have no plans on updating the phone anytime soon. Pay as you go works for me since I don't "live" on my phone-pretty inexpensive annual cell phone bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or