U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 06:35 AM

925 posts, read 463,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
If you don't need more minutes/texts/data, you can save $30/year and buy just service days. Logon to the website and put any airtime card in your cart. You should get an offer to buy an extra 1 year of service days for $49.99. Add that to your cart, remove the airtime card, and checkout.

For less than $7 a month I'll stick to this plan. Just more convenient. Thank you for the suggestion though. I appreciate the response!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 08:48 AM

6,168 posts, read 3,262,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
I've seen cell phones for as high as 700 dollars....in todays world your almost REQUIRED to have a cell phone, which means an additional monthly bill that you didn't have to worry about 15 years ago.

What type of cell phone do you all have and with what carrier?

As crazy as it sounds, I have 2 tracfones (pay as you go and I just add money to them about every month and a half). They both were 19.99 when I bought them!

I still have a house phone and use that mostly. I only use the cell phone when I'm outside and need to make a phone call, which isn't often
TracFone. I pay $99 a year for 1200 minutes (I buy 400 minutes, but I have a phone that's "triple minutes," which Tracfone does, so when I buy 400 minutes, my phone gets 1,200 minutes).

My phone is an LG that works fine. It's a touch phone w/a sizeable screen, compared to a flip phone. I paid about $25, I think, years ago. It was a 2G, so too slow for internet browsing.

TracFone sent me a FREE version of the same phone, upgraded to 3G, because it was phasing out 2G. Awesome. I do not do internet browsing on my phone. That part of the phone minimally works, but doesn't work well. And I don't need browsing on a phone.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:55 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,065,296 times
Consumer Cellular flip phone. But I would like to be able to use Uber and so I figure I need to start looking for a good but cheap smartphone. Any suggestions?

Old 07-24-2017, 10:54 AM

403 posts, read 128,302 times
Iphone 7, and a satellite phone 😂 .. not cheap for either to buy or have a plan with

Old 07-24-2017, 10:56 AM

403 posts, read 128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Consumer Cellular flip phone. But I would like to be able to use Uber and so I figure I need to start looking for a good but cheap smartphone. Any suggestions?
Well, if you're talking android.... Blackberry is still around has made some changes, not as businessman oriented, and not that exoensive for what you get. can probably get a prepaid plan for it if you wanna.. when some company is making phones that has an Apple Fan like me think twice, they are doing something neat lol

Old 07-24-2017, 01:02 PM

29,630 posts, read 31,948,941 times
An iphone bought new, straight from the Apple store. After a decade of hand me downs and phone hacks it was an amazingly easy decision for me. I had a gift card and got the cheapest one they sold so while it wasn't FREE it was worth it. It's a load off knowing it will last for years and I don't have to worry about any compatibility issues. Still using my prepaid plan though.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:51 PM

964 posts, read 924,712 times
I have an iPhone 5s 32GB. Paid $30 for it under a 2 year contract with AT&T. I'm not eligible for a new promotional phone, but I'll wait for a good deal. I typically buy a late model Apple device when the discount becomes enticing. I just can't justify spending $400-$700 every other year, but spending $30-$200 is something I can live with. However, I don't think AT&T is subsidizing wireless devices anymore, they are merely discounting overstock and out going models.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:45 PM

6,168 posts, read 3,262,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
I use Tracfone. I purchased an LG Ultimate2 for $70 or so. It came with triple minutes for life. I found a smartphone plan on their site. $19.99 per quarter for 180 minutes, 180 texts and 180mBs. I don't use the phone a whole lot for calls so I had about 3000 minutes on my previous flip phone, Motorola 376g from Tracfone. They graciously transferred those 3000 minutes over to my LG as 3000 minutes, 3000 texts and 3gB of data. I use this phone a little bit more than the flip phone, but I leave data, wifi and location off until I actually need it. I do use the phone's gps fairly often and I do use the data occasionally if there is no wifi available but since the phone is small I don't find it convenient to use as an internet device.
So that's $80 a year and I have a smartphone when I need it. So far the texts and minutes have been accumulating and the data stays about where it was. Perfect for me.
I have Tracfone, too. But not a smartphone. I pay $99/yr for 1,200 minutes (for 400 mins, really, but I have a triple minutes phone, too).

It will use wi-fi, but only for data, I think, which I don't use.

I may check out that smartphone. I have an LG touch cell, so I'm guessing the LG Ultimate2 isn' t that different.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:17 AM

296 posts, read 513,112 times
Samsung Galaxy ON5 Smartphone...
works fine on Metro - 30 bucks a month ! .

Old 07-26-2017, 01:01 PM

925 posts, read 463,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I have Tracfone, too. But not a smartphone. I pay $99/yr for 1,200 minutes (for 400 mins, really, but I have a triple minutes phone, too).

It will use wi-fi, but only for data, I think, which I don't use.

I may check out that smartphone. I have an LG touch cell, so I'm guessing the LG Ultimate2 isn' t that different.
Definitely worth it for just about $7 a month. Not sure about the model. The LG Ult 2 is your standard Android phone. Not the best not the worst. They may have better options available now. Only issue is these phones are locked up tight. No android upgrades. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or