Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 09:07 PM

844 posts, read 1,430,598 times

Advertisements

I've seen cell phones for as high as 700 dollars....in todays world your almost REQUIRED to have a cell phone, which means an additional monthly bill that you didn't have to worry about 15 years ago.

What type of cell phone do you all have and with what carrier?

As crazy as it sounds, I have 2 tracfones (pay as you go and I just add money to them about every month and a half). They both were 19.99 when I bought them!

I still have a house phone and use that mostly. I only use the cell phone when I'm outside and need to make a phone call, which isn't often
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 09:14 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,451,934 times
iPhone 6S Plus. T-Mobile = My main phone. LOVE this phone.

LG Smartphone something or other for backup /has Tracphone plan. I've never used it but it was a good deal on QVC and I travel so wanted an extra just in case.

Landline that is required by Century Link for my Internet. Never used it. The actual phone is some Panasonic thing of poor quality (I knew I wouldn't use it.) and clearly I have a pre-used number as I keep receiving a message (for years now) that my prescription from KMart is ready)

Old 05-20-2017, 09:26 PM

23,591 posts, read 13,793,692 times
T-Mobile for both cell phones.

A Razr and a smartphone, but I use the latter just as a phone and alarm clock. It doesn't have a data plan.

For one thing, I am seriously trying to fight computer addiction (shouldn't even be here on a Saturday night), not add to it. So at least phone wise, a phone is a phone, not a mini computer to me.

Finally, have two landlines, the same phone numbers for the past 27 years. One is the fax line, the other is voice. The voice line is used for calls that certainly have to go through, such as someone trying to reach me or me checking in at work, local calls, and the number to give for frequent buyer purposes.

On that last bit, as a constant number, I am never at a loss when asked it at the cashier. The phone is answered by an answering machine so that is all the telemarketers get.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:40 PM

61,399 posts, read 86,335,329 times
Not a frugal one....

Old 05-20-2017, 11:10 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,006,068 times
I have a Samsung Galaxy S6. It was an expensive phone -- around $600 -- but it's outdated now...they've come out with the S8 recently.

I'm not usually one who has to have the newest and greatest technology. However, even though not an essential, the phone has been very helpful in my work life, making it worth it to me.

Old 05-20-2017, 11:44 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,642,030 times
i got a cheap LG phone and my carrier is total wireless but im happy with my fone and service.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:02 AM

3,303 posts, read 2,246,118 times
I'm sticking with my Verizon LG Revere 3 flip phone for as long as I can to keep costs down.

I like smart phones but I don't need one. I'm not into texting (I blocked that feature on my flip due to tons of sales texts) and I don't need to be online all day (I have a laptop at home and at work I'm on work apps). People can email or if they need to contact me ASAP they can call, which has been working just fine.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:11 AM

6,749 posts, read 5,448,292 times
I have a 4G Motorola Moto X.

It was "free"...I say that because first I paid $54 for the phone, got back $50, then on my plan I had to pay $24 a month {per phone each, we had two phones} for the phone ON TOP of the data charges. We got two of them. It came out to about $1500 for the two phones over the contract. We are now out of contract and have our phones, we only pay for data usage.

I argued one day with the manager lady at the Verizon store one day, it went basically like this for a half hour:

me: "WHY am I paying for a phone that is free?"

Lady: "let me go check" {comes back} You paid $50 for the phone and got a refund for $50 {per phone} didn't you?

M: Yes I got the refund, but I am paying for the phone on the bill

L: no, your phone was free.

M: no it isn't free...what is this charge on the bill for then?

L: That charge is for the phone. you have to pay for the phone.

M: then the phone isn't free

L yes your phone is free.

M no it wasn't.

L yes it was, you DID get your refund?

M: yes, what is this charge here on my bill?

L: this charge here is for your data {points to one charge} and this charge is for your phone {points to the other charge}.

M so I am paying for the phone here?{point to charge on bill}

L: yes that is correct.

M: then the phone ISN"T FREE.

L: yes, your PHONE WAS FREE.

L This charge will drop off and you will only pay for data usage after 2 year contract is up.

M; then the phone IS NOT FREE.

L, No, one more time, your phone is FREE,

M: then why am I paying for the phone here on the bill?

L: because you have to pay for the phone.

M: then the phone IS NOT FREE.

L:no, your phone was free....

M but then why am I paying for the free phone here on the bill?

L because you have to pay for the phone.

M then THAT means the phone IS NOT FREE

L oh, yes the phone is Free....

See my point? OR Am I REALLY the STUPID one here?

ANYway, NOW , after paying $1500 for the phones, PLUS the $50 each that I DID get back {but had to pay taxes, so STILL NOT "FREE"!!!!}, NOW all that is on my bill is data usages charges and other FCC taxes/fees.

NOW the PHONE IS FREE, AFTER I PAID for it!!!!!!{them}

Old 05-21-2017, 06:50 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,379,440 times
If anyone is looking for reasonably priced cell phone service, I would recommend www.mintsim.com. You have to pre-pay for a year of service in order to get their best deals, but their prices are very reasonable and they give you unlimited talk, text, and data. If you hit them at the right time they often have specials going on for 20% off, or you might be able to search around to find a coupon code for the same deal.

Right now I have service with them that comes out to be just less than $15 per month that includes unlimited talk, text, and 2 GB of high speed data/unlimited low speed data per month. They use T-Mobile's network which seems to work fine in my area. I don't think they sell phones, so you need to bring your own phone to use them.

I don't work for them. I'm just trying to get there name out there since they seem to be a relatively small unknown company.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:43 AM

10,599 posts, read 12,042,571 times
old small black LG flip phone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living