U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 06:13 PM

31,164 posts, read 57,274,608 times

Advertisements

I love the satisfaction of a job well done when I do the lawn myself, but it's also nice to come home from work to see the lawn mowed and trimmed by the landscaper who lives down the street!

It's well worth $100 a month for me, no question. Just the freedom from cussing at a lawnmower that won't start one out of those four weeks each month is enough of an incentive, LOL. Plus, my yard is small but not level, so it's not as easy as lowering my head and pushing the mower through the grass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 06:34 AM

741 posts, read 545,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
I've been mowing my own lawn with a riding mower for about 2 years now. I usually enjoy it, but I've been so busy lately its getting tricky to do regularly so I'm thinking about hiring a crew. I live on about an acre and with all the cutting, edging and trimming it takes me almost 3 hours. and 3 gals of gas probably. So every month I'm spending almost 10 hours plus 10 gals of gas ($22).

I can have a crew do my property for about $100 a month. Since I'm saving $22 on gas its really costing me $78. Which is like $7.80hr were I to do it myself.. PLUS I'm not beating up my mower anymore and can sell it for top dollar before it breaks, needs oil change, blades, tires, etc.

I'm a frugal guys, but I'm sure if I had an extra 10 hours a month to myself I could use that time to make much more than $78 by selling on ebay or maybe starting my own side business or something.

Is anyone else being frugal by spending money so they can use the time to make more money?
How big is your yard? Post a picture.

My backyard anyway that nobody see's...I cut some every other day.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:51 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,446,707 times
Ugh. Here they want $65 per trip, and I have an average size lot. It can take me several hours due to my back problems, so I often spread out the chores over several days. If I lived rural, I'd put in some areas that only required a once per year weed-whacking.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:57 AM

1,856 posts, read 2,138,966 times
I have a one acre front yard and a one acre back yard with a side yard of about a half acre. The total mowing time is only 40 mins. We have been mowing our own yard for 40 years. We hire a all the fertilizing and tree care. For what they are charging I couldn't do it cheaper myself so it was a no brainer, however mowing is a different mater.

Since our yard needs mowing twice a week in the spring and early summer and then once a week till November, it makes more sense for us to do it. What we did do to make this a fast a painless job was to buy the right mower. We use a 48" ZTR that can mow at 10MPH, it also has a shocked suspension to make the ride soft. Mowing has actually become fun and an activity to look forward to. IF anyone was curious we paid $7000 for the mower.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:05 AM

6,014 posts, read 6,515,432 times
1) I always pay others to do thing I don't want to do. So this isn't even a debate for me.

2) My yard guy charged 35 dollars a mow...AND he and his helper together -- him with his riding mower and the helper with the trimer....got the job done in literally, I think, 12 minutes.

By the time I'd wake up, get dressed, and try to get downstairs to talk with him. They were gone! Or I'd see the packing up the trailer or pulling off.

3) Most of all, I could make more in one hour of overtime at work to pay him.
So how does it possibly make sense for me to take more than one hour of my time doing a chore I don't WANT to do, when I could spend LESS time than that getting the money to pay someone else to do it?

Old 06-08-2017, 07:40 AM

10,265 posts, read 6,491,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
I've been mowing my own lawn with a riding mower for about 2 years now. I usually enjoy it, but I've been so busy lately its getting tricky to do regularly so I'm thinking about hiring a crew. I live on about an acre and with all the cutting, edging and trimming it takes me almost 3 hours. and 3 gals of gas probably. So every month I'm spending almost 10 hours plus 10 gals of gas ($22).

I can have a crew do my property for about $100 a month. Since I'm saving $22 on gas its really costing me $78. Which is like $7.80hr were I to do it myself.. PLUS I'm not beating up my mower anymore and can sell it for top dollar before it breaks, needs oil change, blades, tires, etc.

I'm a frugal guys, but I'm sure if I had an extra 10 hours a month to myself I could use that time to make much more than $78 by selling on ebay or maybe starting my own side business or something.

Is anyone else being frugal by spending money so they can use the time to make more money?
10 hours a month is about 20 minutes a day if my math is right. You can cut out a half hour of TV or computer time to achieve that per day.

600 minutes/30 days

If you can afford it, and it will save money on gas and future equipment and you think you can make up that money with the extra time go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or