U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-01-2017, 01:57 PM
 
369 posts, read 206,803 times
Reputation: 1058

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Yes, very good to plan.. Since it finally got above 45F, and not raining (rare) & I had the BBQ heated up, ... I cooked (3) 16+# turkeys last week. (I Buy them for <$0.20/ lb on holiday sales.)

That will keep me in poultry and soups for a few months.
Turkeys are often overlooked with many thinking they are only for the holidays. I think they're one of the best deals out there because you can get great prices at holiday sales and have tons of meat just from one bird. Our dogs love it too, and we freeze several packets of cooked turkey meat for them as healthy treats. Roasting is easy and although it takes a little time to pick the bird clean, it is well worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-01-2017, 07:32 PM
 
Location: The World
3,012 posts, read 1,810,469 times
Reputation: 7773
YES! I always buy the biggest turkey I can find at the holidays, and I sometimes buy an extra. The prices are so cheap. I always save the leftovers from the turkey that I roast on the "big day" and then make stock with the carcass. Then, freeze it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2017, 09:12 PM
 
Location: Ohio
1,217 posts, read 2,248,189 times
Reputation: 2214
Time is money for highly paid people so for them eating out is less expensive because their time is worth much more than the savings they'll make by eating at home. Also eating out is a way to connect with other movers-and-shakers and benefits their careers. Some people belong to country clubs just so they can rub elbows with certain people in the dining room or bar.

We enjoy eating at home because the food is higher quality and lower cost. But there are some meals that are better at a restaurant and cheaper than home because the ingredients are unusual and require skills we don't have: sushi for example and one of my favorites Vietnamese food is much better when they make it and not too expensive (sushi is expensive but a couple times a year is worth the price).

And french fries! Yes I could make french fries at home but certain fast food shops have great fries and there's nothing better than fresh french fries that I can have at the drop of a hat without standing over a hot stove.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2017, 09:27 PM
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston
33,549 posts, read 51,767,813 times
Reputation: 82971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excellent Point View Post
For mid-quality food, how much more am I spending at a place like TGIF or Ruby Tuesday vs, buying the food at the grocery store and cooking the meal at home?
Both places are pretty mediocre. I can have better, fresher and higher quality food cooked at home.
That's why I never eat in those restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2017, 10:27 PM
 
Location: The World
3,012 posts, read 1,810,469 times
Reputation: 7773
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
Time is money for highly paid people so for them eating out is less expensive because their time is worth much more than the savings they'll make by eating at home. Also eating out is a way to connect with other movers-and-shakers and benefits their careers. Some people belong to country clubs just so they can rub elbows with certain people in the dining room or bar.

We enjoy eating at home because the food is higher quality and lower cost. But there are some meals that are better at a restaurant and cheaper than home because the ingredients are unusual and require skills we don't have: sushi for example and one of my favorites Vietnamese food is much better when they make it and not too expensive (sushi is expensive but a couple times a year is worth the price).

And french fries! Yes I could make french fries at home but certain fast food shops have great fries and there's nothing better than fresh french fries that I can have at the drop of a hat without standing over a hot stove.
In some cases this is true, but the bolded is kind of a dangerous way of thinking. I do think that in some cases, the whole "well, I make such-and-such per hour, so it's a waste of money if I can hire someone else to do it for such-and-such per hour" thing works out.

In general, though, you have to think -- but *WILL* I be making that great hourly rate while I'm paying someone else to do it?

In some cases, yes. I'm self-employed so I don't get paid by the hour, but I shoot for a certain hourly amount, if that makes sense. If I have an eight-hour job at my house that I can pay someone $100 for while I'm busy making $500 -- and this scenario has happened -- then it's totally worth it, without a doubt.

If I'm just being lazy in my downtime and saying, "Oh, I should just hire someone to fold that laundry for me while I'm watching TV or screwing around on City-Data because I make way more per hour," then, well, that's ridiculous.

I think there are some situations in which it's worth it to think that way, but in most cases? No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2017, 06:19 AM
 
6,908 posts, read 3,740,061 times
Reputation: 4612
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRoaming View Post
Turkeys are often overlooked with many thinking they are only for the holidays. I think they're one of the best deals out there because you can get great prices at holiday sales and have tons of meat just from one bird. Our dogs love it too, and we freeze several packets of cooked turkey meat for them as healthy treats. Roasting is easy and although it takes a little time to pick the bird clean, it is well worth it.
But eating turkey once a year is more than enough for me. I am not a fan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2017, 07:32 AM
 
Location: North Idaho
20,999 posts, read 25,750,723 times
Reputation: 39380
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
Time is money for highly paid people so for them eating out is less expensive because their time is worth much more than the savings they'll make by eating at home. .......
I suppose that might be valid if they have an all you can eat buffet right next door where they can walk 1 minute, step through the door, and their meal is ready

Other that that, it doesn't take any more time to cook at home, because when you eat in a restaurant, you have to drive there, park, walk to the restaurant, possibly wait for a table, wait for the waitress to come around and take your order, wait for the kitchen to cook your food.

If someone prefers to not do any cooking, that's their business, but the excuse that it is cheaper to eat in restaurants simply is not going to fly. If you don't want to cook, say "I don't want to cook" Don't say "I eat all my meals in restaurants because it is so much cheaper"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2017, 08:13 AM
 
1,160 posts, read 1,295,751 times
Reputation: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excellent Point View Post
I read somewhere that eating out is perhaps the biggest money waster the average person does.
That has been my experience, for sure. I'm thinking specifically of one year where I only bought six meals out due to paying off a debt. I was amazed how fast I paid it off because I was no longer buying food on the fly or frequenting restaurants for meals (or snacks or fancy coffees).

Eventually, I eased up and started buying more meals out again. Then just last month I went back to no meals out and spent $155 less in May than I'd spent in April.

I tracked food expenditures for one year from March 2016 through this February, and it was eye-opening to see the results. I suspect if I really knew how much I've spent on food over my entire adult life, I'd probably faint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2017, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
13,432 posts, read 24,204,419 times
Reputation: 24745
I always get as many turkeys as I can while they are cheap! Love turkey! And it's good quality protein. I also use Zaycon Foods. They have great meat but you have to have a lot of room in the freezer. The smallest quantity you can buy from them is usually 40lbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2017, 12:55 PM
 
3,205 posts, read 2,812,336 times
Reputation: 9265
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I suppose that might be valid if they have an all you can eat buffet right next door where they can walk 1 minute, step through the door, and their meal is ready

Other that that, it doesn't take any more time to cook at home, because when you eat in a restaurant, you have to drive there, park, walk to the restaurant, possibly wait for a table, wait for the waitress to come around and take your order, wait for the kitchen to cook your food.

If someone prefers to not do any cooking, that's their business, but the excuse that it is cheaper to eat in restaurants simply is not going to fly. If you don't want to cook, say "I don't want to cook" Don't say "I eat all my meals in restaurants because it is so much cheaper"
Shopping and planning the meals and planning for leftovers is also time consuming. I shop for a family. After I'm done, I know I sometimes don't have the energy to cook that night. I shop during the week when the stores are not crowded . I can see where someone, particularly someone who is single and doesn't have a backup partner to help out, would justify paying $5-10 extra (per meal) to avoid the hassle. That amount of money doesn't seem like a lot when the alternative is wasted food because you didn't have a convenient meal plan to use up leftovers or the time to use it before it goes bad. I'm personally someone who will cook ahead and freeze in portions. I still want fresh veggies, salad or other fresh foods too. I suspect that is where many give up the fight because there can be significant food waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top