U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 03:48 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,494,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfertx View Post
I'm all for saving money and not spending too much on something I want. But sometimes going cheap can actually cost you more in the long run. I'm currently shopping for a bicycle and was initially tempted to buy a cheap one from Target for $100 or find a used one on CL. As I am doing my research I'm finding out that getting a cheap bike will likely end up costing me more since the cheap bike will break or just fall apart.
So I'm increasing my budget to $200-$250 which is still considered low end for bikes. I do plan to use the bike long term for fun.

Any thoughts on this?
I agree. The cheap comes out expensive. Living the frugal life is not about buying the cheapest thing. It is about making good choices with your money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 06:40 PM

15,145 posts, read 15,198,298 times
I'm a cheapo and my cheapo-purchases usually suit me fine, work fine and do not stray so far from being decent quality to cause me problems.

I have owned numerous bicycles, cheap and not so cheap.....a little work on them and they usually ride fine.

I bought a marked-down, nearly-new Mongoose from Walmart a couple of years ago for about 80 bucks.....it was one of the better bikes I have owned.

Old 05-28-2017, 05:24 AM

69,258 posts, read 79,427,308 times
I can understand buying top of the line or near for things that will be used often and need to last a long time. But when the budget is an issue think about what you are purchasing and why? First I would check Craig's list, then check on line. If there is nothing you feel comfortable with then yes, buy quality. furniture is one item to research before buying: it usually needs to last a long time, same with a car, but don't buy top of the line just to impress people. And don't think all bargain priced items are junk. They are not. I have an example of going cheap right now: we are getting a new heat pump in a few days. We told the company: go cheap! Why? We know the company, the brand, and it comes with a 10 year warranty. The tonnage is actually better than our old one and we know we will not be living in the house more than 10 years

Someone mentioned budget shoes for $50 of so; heck, that is not budget for many of us. Cloths and food are two items I shop budget, using discounts, coupons or whatever. It is rare I am disappointed in my purchases.

Old 05-28-2017, 05:33 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,208,696 times
I live a major city with high crime. Constantly seeing neighbors posting from Nextdoor that they had their bikes stolen. Consider your location and buy accordingly....also invest in a great lock.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:59 PM

2,461 posts, read 1,200,617 times
seafood and chicken. I'm still paying for it...

Old 05-28-2017, 10:56 PM

3,012 posts, read 1,809,321 times
It really depends on what it is.

Are you going to be a light bike rider who only rides every now and then? If so, cheap might work well. If you're going to be a daily bike rider, spending a little more on a nice bike might be worth it.

It's often worth it to spend more money on certainly types of clothing, like, good jeans that you're going to be wearing a lot. For a trendy top that you're only going to wear for a night out once a month and that you'll probably get bored with after one season, going cheap is fine.

If it's furniture, buying good quality could mean that the pieces could last your family for years...or even generations. Probably worth it vs. a $20 piece from Walmart or Target that's going to fall apart in a year or two. If you're buying a simple little piece of wall decor with a trendy design (I guess I'm not up on trends, but I know the chevron pattern was big for a while, don't know about now), then going cheap is fine...it's gonna be outdated in a few years, and it's something that isn't being handled or used often.

Old 05-29-2017, 01:53 PM

13,432 posts, read 24,199,022 times
I would keep on looking on CL. In Las Vegas, everything you could ever want will show up there sooner or later. I have seen a lot of very high quality bikes that look brand new selling for very little. I think people buy them to force themselves to work out and when they don't follow through they get rid of the evidence!

Usually I research before I buy and I looked at a lot of high end bikes. Didn't take me long to figure out I wanted something dependable that was going to last without a lot of upkeep. When a bike come with a maintenance schedule and list of regular expensive repairs needed, I look elsewhere.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:47 PM

3,003 posts, read 1,694,053 times
Depends how much and how hard you are going to use the bike. If all on flat paved paths going 5-10 mph, pretty much anything will do. I'd even just look for a single-speed if that's the case. On the other hand, if you plan to push hard on the pedals, go up steep hills or on single-track, then a cheap bike probably won't last long.

Bikes can be a really good buy on the used market. Of course you need to figure out the right size frame, and read up before you start shopping. At any rate, the last bike I purchased was a Gary Fisher mountain bike... not all that expensive, I think retail was $550 and I got it off Craigslist for $250. It was in good shape, and I've ridden that thing pretty hard for hundreds of miles both on and off road. It's not especially lightweight and it's a "hardtail", but that's all I need.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:11 PM

747 posts, read 436,674 times
I've decided to get a entry level bike from a local Performance Bicycle shop. I think it will be a good start and a step above Target or Walmart.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:37 PM

960 posts, read 1,960,095 times
I often say that I buy used to get a level of quality that would be out of my budget if I purchased new. That's why I buy on eBay and in thrift shops. I recently purchased a slightly used men's suit on eBay made in Italy from a brand-name the retails for about $900 new. The slightly used suit cost me $20 and is simply stunning. We live in a consumer culture where no one owns anything long enough for it to wear out. Buying used means using consumerism to our advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or