U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 10:55 AM

2,462 posts, read 1,205,788 times

Advertisements

seafood and poultry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 01:43 PM

69,315 posts, read 79,508,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
seafood and poultry.
Seafood, it depends but I buy cheap chicken and am usually very satisfied. I do like good seafood, but will not pay prices over the hill. If they are too high, I either choose a cheaper kind or I just don't buy at all. I did buy frog legs today and yes, I have to admit they are from China. I know, don't buy from China for a couple of reasons, but the little girl inside of me said: mommy please, we haven't had them in years, please. How could mommy say no, plus they were on sale.

I do have to admit we are eating less and less fish all the time, it hasn't just gotten so expensive.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:32 PM

22,719 posts, read 21,779,470 times
One of the best deals I ever got on lobster was about 5 years ago. Live lobsters were 1/2 price the day before Thanksgiving. Guess what we ate. We asked for the two biggest ones.

That was sort of a mistake. My son needed tools from the garage to crack the claws. We ate lobster for days and had a bit of fun. It wasn't cheap, but worth it to me.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:48 PM

794 posts, read 1,404,086 times
The sweetness of low price is over shadowed by the bitterness of poor quality.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
The sweetness of low price is over shadowed by the bitterness of poor quality.
You have to keep an eye on that. Cheap isn't always good. Researching purchases is good.

Old 07-01-2017, 02:07 AM

2,206 posts, read 2,499,665 times
Tools and powertools. Right when you need them, the cheap stuff will break down and you have to buy twice.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:47 AM

9,350 posts, read 8,745,131 times
Furniture (mainly beds, sofas, chairs)

Old 07-01-2017, 10:01 AM

69,315 posts, read 79,508,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Furniture (mainly beds, sofas, chairs)
I hear ya on the sofas particularly. When we did some big time refurbishing of our house 3 1/2 years ago and replaced our living room furniture as well as our bed, we went cheap. The couch was just what we wanted. The cheap price really wasn't our only consideration. Well, it was one with the double recliners. Now it sinks where hubby sits, is fine in the middle and the other end, used only occasionally is ok. We are thinking of replacing it, just don't know what we want. The sun room, which was a screened in porch had to be furnished as well. We shopped wisely, knowing just what we wanted. Some pieces came from Amazon, some from garage sales, or Craig's list and a couple from consignment shops, but they were not cheap, just good bargains. The room is awesome. As for our bed, yes we went cheap, but the store sold mismatched or slightly damaged matresses and it came highly recommended. We love the bed.

We learned to shop wisely, not always cheaply.

Old 07-01-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Tools and powertools. Right when you need them, the cheap stuff will break down and you have to buy twice.
Absolutely. Never buy cheap tools. My son's a mechanic, and although he's still a pup, never buys cheap tools. Most people don't realize that mechanics--doesn't matter where they work--own most of their own tools. The business owner is usually too cheap to provide all of the necessary equipment. At least that's been his experience.

Old 07-02-2017, 12:56 PM

4,178 posts, read 1,558,100 times
My Dad was a true cheapskate about many things and I can't count how many times he would complain about such and such breaking or not performing as he wanted it to. His compulsion to save money won each time and he was usually not happy with the product he bought. I remember an old car my siblings and I drove while in high school that had some obscure problem with the front steering and brake lines. He kept taking it to a cut-rate mechanic but the problem was never resolved. Instead of trying a better but more expensive mechanic (or even Horrors! a certified brand shop) he would keep taking it back for the free fix of the poor work. That car was always either breaking down on the road or in the shop. When he passed away and I was clearing out his house I must have found 25 broken phones (regular corded phones, not cell or iphones), off-brand tvs and small appliances he'd given up on, drawers full of partly repaired gadgets, and stuff we wouldn't have been able to sell or even donate it was in such poor condition. His house was filthy and rundown because he resented paying a housekeeper or workman to maintain it but he never did the work himself either. You could understandably think he was happy with all this saving but he didn't even seem happy. Well, I suppose he got what he wanted, because he wasn't around to fork out the hundreds of dollars necessary to get his house on the market after he passed away....someone else got to foot the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or