Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 02:32 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,198,343 times

Advertisements

We all know someone who cries poor mouth, yet annoys you with their hypocrisy? Who is that person? What annoys you?

Ill start it off.

A woman at my job, who constantly cries about being broke, and how her kids have to eat the same thing every day to anyone who will listen, yet at the same time eats out every single day at restaurants for lunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 04:29 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,738,168 times
Please...........so many people do this that I can't even count them on all my fingers and toes.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:04 PM

21 posts, read 60,773 times
What a seldom-heard term. I had to look it up.

I see you're speaking of my sister and her husband. They "couldn't afford" a Christmas gift for their parents, who had babysat and performed hundreds of favors for them all year long. You see, their dog became sick in December and needed medical care.

The same week, they boasted about ordering several random Christmas gifts for each other while watching QVC one evening. Classy.

Did I mention the new SUV they leased two weeks later and the hundreds of dollars of accessories they bought for it?

Old 06-10-2009, 06:56 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Some people have no values system so they think throwing ever larger
amounts of money at everything they want or do is the answer to all.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:00 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,450 times
It amazes me how many kids live in apartments with parents on public assistance, yet they have all the latest gadgets and video games.

My poorest relatives had flat screened tvs, digital cameras, ipods, x-boxes, Nintendo ds, etc. for their kids, not to mention nikes and brand named clothing, way before I ever did.

It's ridiculous.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:34 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
I have met many people like this and it drives me crazy. C'mon let's be realistic "most" of us even the frugal ones have areas in their lives that they can save money on.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:33 PM

326 posts, read 1,301,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
It amazes me how many kids live in apartments with parents on public assistance, yet they have all the latest gadgets and video games.

My poorest relatives had flat screened tvs, digital cameras, ipods, x-boxes, Nintendo ds, etc. for their kids, not to mention nikes and brand named clothing, way before I ever did.

It's ridiculous.
This sooooooooooooo true
Couldn't have written better myself.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:22 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,448,141 times
It gets on my nerve when someone cries poor mouth, yet they have plenty of money and eat roast for dinner. I know someone who does this and it really irks me because he has plenty of money and in fact owns several homes and drives a luxury car. I say to him, "Well, just think, you could be worse off... you could be like me!"

Old 06-12-2009, 06:14 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,963,609 times
I have a friend who lives with his girlfriend of three years, but refuses to get married because her credit is bad. He works six months out of the year, and invests..he lives off of interest. She works full time, pays the rent, and buys food. He buys the big stuff, so he says they're even.

But if she ever wants to go out to coffee or go out to a cheap lunch with friends, he bugs her about it! While he goes and buys tons of high-end crap for the house! Designer toilet seats, I kid you not... He whines and whines about being poor, but he's so lazy...plus has a higher net worth than anyone I know.

I'm frugal, but at least I know how to live and don't fret about my finances to others. Sheesh.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:02 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,054,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post

It's ridiculous.
Oh geez, that's one of the things that make me just want to smack them upside the head. I know another where a girl I work with cry's she already spent her paycheck the day we get it and her parents fronted the money for her car/house...and later that day she's planning on going 200 miles North to Seattle for a concert and dinner/drinks with friends.

Now I have to admit, I cry poor in one circumstance. Usually some one wants to go out to eat at the hip new trendy place, most often the food is terrible and get snookered with $10 drinks. I usually suggest a bottle of 151 and go to my place, we have a big TV, a Wii, and tons of movies...plus I can cook, though better before the drinks come. No huge restaurant bill for bad food and overpriced drinks, or a cab if you are too out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living