U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 02:19 PM

748 posts, read 438,570 times

Advertisements

I'm all for saving money and not spending too much on something I want. But sometimes going cheap can actually cost you more in the long run. I'm currently shopping for a bicycle and was initially tempted to buy a cheap one from Target for $100 or find a used one on CL. As I am doing my research I'm finding out that getting a cheap bike will likely end up costing me more since the cheap bike will break or just fall apart.
So I'm increasing my budget to $200-$250 which is still considered low end for bikes. I do plan to use the bike long term for fun.

Any thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 03:29 PM

5,489 posts, read 8,173,490 times
Buy once cry once is a maxim because it's true.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:41 PM

3,209 posts, read 2,817,409 times
Buy a better bike. We bought our two boys adult size TREK bikes in the last couple of years. I think they were around $650 or so. Better quality does make a difference. You could probably buy a used bike that is a better brand from Craigslist or even check with a bike shop. I know a couple of the the bike shops we used would do a buy back if you upgrade with them. They may be able to work with you for something pretty decent or older for the price you are able to pay. If not, I'd save up a little longer.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:43 PM

12,677 posts, read 12,097,290 times
"Greedy people pay twice" as the saying goes.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:52 PM

35,821 posts, read 39,399,524 times
Depends on a lot of variables, including what the item is needed for, if holding up long term is more needed than a low cost, if low cost is a higher priority variable than long-tern durability, etc.

While it night be better to pay more for a higher quality bike up front, what's true for that particular situation might not necessarily apply to another. If I need bulk napkins for a cookout, the cheapest are bound to be my pick, not the more costly but thicker, nicer finish, whatever. People are gonna use them to wipe mustard from their fingers and toss them. They don't have to be top quality. You know? They don have to hold up under heavy repeat usage.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:02 PM

33,605 posts, read 51,842,106 times
If you want it to last - buy quality.
Also cheap almost always looks cheap. If you're OK with that, keep buying...

Old 05-26-2017, 04:13 PM

1,553 posts, read 657,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfertx View Post
I'
So I'm increasing my budget to $200-$250 which is still considered low end for bikes. I do plan to use the bike long term for fun.

Any thoughts on this?
Watch the Wolfe Pit on Youtube, it is the ultimate in cheap, and I mean really cheap. He seems to dine exclusively on dollar store food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU1tcPjE2V4

Shoo the children out of the store before watching his fish feast video. It is not for the timid, light of heart, or those who think fish should be in fish.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:03 PM

3,714 posts, read 1,263,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfertx View Post
I'm all for saving money and not spending too much on something I want. But sometimes going cheap can actually cost you more in the long run. I'm currently shopping for a bicycle and was initially tempted to buy a cheap one from Target for $100 or find a used one on CL. As I am doing my research I'm finding out that getting a cheap bike will likely end up costing me more since the cheap bike will break or just fall apart.

Any thoughts on this?
I'm big on buying quality, but a bike doesn't meet that criteria.
When I was a butchers apprentice I did deliveries on an old bike with a big basket on the front, it was very heavy, no gears.

All my friends had 10 speeds , at home I used my dads old rudge bike, 3 speed.
I beat the legs off them on long trips because I was doing it all week for a job.
Some of the advanced design bikes are extremely pricey, I'd go cheap and if it falls apart I'd fix it, if it breaks I'd buy another.

But I would steer away from a cheap 10 speed, too much to go wrong.
The bike wouldn't break but the cheapo gear changers ... yeh.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:34 PM

35,821 posts, read 39,399,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
If you want it to last - buy quality.
Also cheap almost always looks cheap. If you're OK with that, keep buying...
Again, may not always matter.

Do I care if my bottle of mopping solution "looks cheap," as long as it works as well as PineSol or whatever? Probably not. Do I care if my cotton swabs look cheaper than Q-Tip brand? Probably not.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:53 PM

33,605 posts, read 51,842,106 times
^^^ You are right!
I meant things that supposed to look good, and last long.

OP was talking about bike not Q-Tips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or