Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 11:03 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
We travel a lot (Very cheap)

Travel worldwide for $free to $20 / night (for entire family) Been doing it for 27+ yrs. (all of last yr) Hospitality exchange - Wikitravel
Drive a $35 car that gets 50 mpg on free waste cooking oil (since 1976)
Stealthcamp (fairgrounds, parks, free camping com, hospitals, BLM...)
Work on farms and camps for free room and board (worldwide)
Volunteer with local parks service
Volunteer usher at favorite venues
Volunteer at food festivals and soup kitchens
Backpack
Neighborhood international potlucks
Barn Raising parties (Building barns with Amish or Mennonites) worldwide
Disaster relief (not always fun, but always rewarding).
Offer to drive moving truck for people that are traveling across country. (Did that 5x, for free ticket home)
Volunteer at an animal rehab center, or an Animal 'companion program' (horses for the handicapped...)
Start a 'community' Drama event. (Local towns do annual Melodrama fundraiser)
as a family, we found it very fun to assist older farm families / senior couples. They are VERY fun! and know lots of Frugal fun things...
Amazing resourcefulness!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 11:04 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Set up the sprinkler hose and run through! We did that as kids, why not as adults?
Our town now has a splash pad! Looks like fun!

Old 06-28-2017, 04:53 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
My vacation is coming up soon. I plan to go to a museum; it is free on Sunday. I booked a trip to Washington DC. ($169) The reviews were great. I am also planning to go to the zoo; it is free on Wednesday afternoon.

I am pleased with my plans. I usually do not do anything or spend a $1000+ on trips. I will not be doing that for a long time. I have work to do. It is nice to know there are inexpensive ways to have fun.

Lol! I just restated my original post. It is a go.

Last edited by goodlife36; 06-28-2017 at 05:02 AM..

Old 07-04-2017, 08:07 AM

My vacation thus far is working out well. The museum was awesome (free). DC was fantastic. I will go to the zoo tomorrow(free).

I have never been so active during a vacation. Stay-cations can be great!

Old 07-04-2017, 08:54 AM

77 posts, read 81,982 times
So what do you do when you are broke, can no longer afford the nice Florida vacations you used to take, and now have no one to go with anyway? Im 52, single and really struggling mentally with this issue. I sit home, day after day. No longer interested in hobbies. I don't want to play games, cards, or go to museums. Boring. I want to have fun and see/experience different things before I die. I have to accept that is not how my life is going to be and I'm having a hard time doing so.

Old 07-04-2017, 11:13 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,067,125 times
Look for Audubon chapters in your county, they often offer free bird walks or lectures, a bird walk is a great way to connect with Nature, the pace is often slow, so even people who are not used to hiking can manage it.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyswind View Post
So what do you do when you are broke, can no longer afford the nice Florida vacations you used to take, and now have no one to go with anyway? Im 52, single and really struggling mentally with this issue. I sit home, day after day. No longer interested in hobbies. I don't want to play games, cards, or go to museums. Boring. I want to have fun and see/experience different things before I die. I have to accept that is not how my life is going to be and I'm having a hard time doing so.
I am at that point now. I cannot go away on vacation for the foreseeable future. I am trying to find ways to have a good time close to home. The Washington trip was only $169 as opposed to over $1000+.

There are lots of museums out there. The one I went to on Sunday was free and I enjoyed it. It kept my interest for a couple of hours; that is good enough.

What is it about the trip you like so much? Figure a way to recreate it closer to home.

Now that I have discovered the spa, why do I need to go away to sit in water. I can pay $50 bucks and go to the spa as opposed to paying over $1000.

Google free things to do in your area. You'd be surprised what comes up.

I am single too and I am doing all of this alone.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:29 PM

473 posts, read 501,763 times
__________(city name)OnTheCheap.com is great resource, get newsletter free. Colleges have good arts/theater/music/sports/lectures. Sports are still a bit expensive at good schools so could try watching little league sports away from soccer Mom brawls. City swimming pool of $2-3... Free day at art museum. Cut cable and just watch whatever is online, maybe paying for monthly service like Netflix, HBO or Hulu for $8 -- try free trial and see if it suits you. Lots of the TV networks have the shows available free from website, plus free news broadcast on website. Can buy a Tv antenna at Walmart, plug it in and see what you get for free in area and return it if it doesn't suit you. Community theater is really good in many places and 1/3 price of professional...Get into craft stuff or painting/drawing isn't expensive if you just buy low end basics and learn it from studying internet...A pet is cheap friend. Used bicycle offers lots of options...Can try Meetup.com in big cities and meet a lot of neat people with similar activity tastes for really low costs..I highly recommend this as you can find travel buddies in some groups, much cheaper going in group.

Camping groups are nice way to travel, some really do enjoy it. Can get old equipment off other people in group or Craigslist/thrift store.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:42 PM

The zoo was pretty good. No lions, tigers and bears but the ponies were adorable. The zoo is a great place to take kids when you are on a budget. They love it and it is free during certain times.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:47 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyswind View Post
If you're not interested in anything, there's no easy solution. It sounds as though you're depressed.

A nice vacation has never been a given in my adult life. I made do with what I could afford, and I wanted to go somewhere and do something. Wanting to do something is what you need to find something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living