U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 05:44 PM

11,611 posts, read 5,449,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarlaS View Post
Get a used fax machine at goodwill. That's what we do. Ties up the landline but only briefly.
I have a fax machine. I don't have a landline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 04:19 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,527,133 times
There's a pretty good choice of online services . You email the page(s), the service faxes.
Many are set up for either a subscription or one time use and some specialize in one time use.

Old 05-31-2017, 04:36 AM

9,082 posts, read 3,697,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Can I receive one with that? Tomorrow I need to get some papers from my Dad.
K7 Unified Messaging, free Fax and voicemail to email.

Old 05-31-2017, 05:49 AM

16,154 posts, read 7,089,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Thanks. Still hoping someone will chime in who has used such a service before, narrowing down my selection.
Don't know what the pricing is like now, but I used to use eFax at a previous workplace, worked well.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:10 AM

20,999 posts, read 25,737,156 times
I'm not going to pay for a landline all year to send or receive a couple of Faxes every year. I go down to a stationary store and use the fax machine there. Or, if it is real estate related, the faxes go through my agent's office or my escrow office.

A lot of that stuff is now emailed instead of faxed. Fax seems to only be used when a signature on a document is legally critical.

You can fax through the computer, but you would have to have a flatbed scanner to get the document into your computer. Sorry, I don't know what the computer fax program is called. Wait, no you don't need a scanner. You can take a photo of the document with your cell phone and email it to yourself.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:10 AM

29,722 posts, read 47,472,880 times
We have been surprised to see how much we have been able to do by scanning documents to pdf and emailiing them.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:34 AM

4,981 posts, read 5,446,707 times
Please let us know what you decide to do: I'm facing a similar problem.

Right now, I do all my faxing from Staples. I used to send one or two per year, but now I'm there on a weekly basis, so it's time to explore other options.

Old 05-31-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
We have been surprised to see how much we have been able to do by scanning documents to pdf and emailiing them.
That is what most people prefer now but there are many instances someone will say they can't. IME it's more sensitive information that cannot go that route. And as I said, for me, my Dad has drawn a line in what computer things he will learn. And scanning to PDF is one of them, lol.

Old 05-31-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm not going to pay for a landline all year to send or receive a couple of Faxes every year. I go down to a stationary store and use the fax machine there. Or, if it is real estate related, the faxes go through my agent's office or my escrow office.

A lot of that stuff is now emailed instead of faxed. Fax seems to only be used when a signature on a document is legally critical.

You can fax through the computer, but you would have to have a flatbed scanner to get the document into your computer. Sorry, I don't know what the computer fax program is called. Wait, no you don't need a scanner. You can take a photo of the document with your cell phone and email it to yourself.
That is where I am at. I thought this was funny in a movie I watched: 'Why do you have a landline?' 'for the fax machine'. 'Why do you have a fax machine?' lol! Mostly it's outdated but as I mentioned above, some things have to be.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:16 PM

1,912 posts, read 889,302 times
Word of warning on some eFax options, they don't all work if you are facing from a digital source to analog. At work we receive faxes and some people try and try to fax to us and it never goes through. The IT guy said it has something to do with whatever program they are using not being compatible with a normal fax machine. We had to install a special digital fax to receive digital faxes too. I'm really not sure why we don't get rid of the analog machine since the digital works with both kinds of faxes. But that's why I'm not the boss.

Anyway, just something to be aware of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living