U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 02:10 PM

69,275 posts, read 79,447,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyellowbug View Post
For a month? Or a week? My one friend spends about 500 a month, but he eats lunch out at work every single day.
$500 a month for one person is totally out of line: There are 2 of us, I do enjoy cooking, I pride myself in our eating well and quality food and we keep it down to about $300 to $350 a month for two. Entrees pretty much are made of chicken, pork, beef once a week and fish once or twice a week. We eat very few meal out So, you can see why I have a hard time understanding $500 for one person.

By being somewhat frugal and doing a lot of your own cooking you should easily be able to keep your food bill around $200 a month and still enjoy decent meals. Remember the pre cooked meals and processed foods are not as healthy and can shoot the budget, but we all enjoy a splurge once in awhile. Though we eat very little beef we do enjoy pork and it is not only inexpensive but really rather healthy. I will also add, it is rare we fix canned anything or frozen, even veggies. I know you are thinking $140, that too is workable. Do remember the first few times you shop you bill will be higher as you will need to buy staples that are only replaced every so often. You will need many of these all at once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 03:12 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times
Quote:
I don't want to starve myself of course haha. I just don't want to over spend. I had budgeted for 140, but I was being told it was too low for someone.

I'm not a huge rice fan, but I do like peanut butter.
I don't mean starving yourself, just eating more carbs and less protein than is healthy.

I have a family of four that includes a teen and a preteen. We spend about $700/month on food now. In the past, from necessity, it was less than $200 a month but I noticed the kids weren't growing well and hubby and I were putting on a lot of weight around the midsection, so we had to rework our budget to allow for the right kinds of food.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:25 PM

5,514 posts, read 5,496,825 times
Quote:
I like bringing my lunch to work. It's normally a PB&J with chips/fruit. It's simple but it keeps me full. My breakfast habits are just a banana and water, unless it's the weekend. Dinner would be new for me as I don't cook it now. My mom makes it and if I don't want to eat it then I bring something home
That's good. You are on the right track. I think $200 is a healthy budget for groceries and takeout. This budget only allows me to eat out once a week. Sometimes, I indulge and get some take out but the money comes from my monthly allowance. I keep it to a minimum because it takes away from my allowance.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:43 PM

506 posts, read 414,115 times
my budget is about $100-150 a month including toilet stuff and detergents...

We by no means are starving...to be honest, we probably, eat fancier stuff than 97% of people in our area.

We eat fish/meat on a daily basis... not much carbs because i am not a fan.

We eat soup as well sometimes...

I can make a meat/fish serving for 1-2 dollars

Old 06-02-2017, 09:58 PM

3,012 posts, read 1,810,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
$500 a month for one person is totally out of line: There are 2 of us, I do enjoy cooking, I pride myself in our eating well and quality food and we keep it down to about $300 to $350 a month for two. Entrees pretty much are made of chicken, pork, beef once a week and fish once or twice a week. We eat very few meal out So, you can see why I have a hard time understanding $500 for one person.

By being somewhat frugal and doing a lot of your own cooking you should easily be able to keep your food bill around $200 a month and still enjoy decent meals. Remember the pre cooked meals and processed foods are not as healthy and can shoot the budget, but we all enjoy a splurge once in awhile. Though we eat very little beef we do enjoy pork and it is not only inexpensive but really rather healthy. I will also add, it is rare we fix canned anything or frozen, even veggies. I know you are thinking $140, that too is workable. Do remember the first few times you shop you bill will be higher as you will need to buy staples that are only replaced every so often. You will need many of these all at once.
I agree; $500 a month for one person is way too much. We spend between $300 and $400 a month for two people, and that includes pet food and supplies (two dogs and three cats), cleaning stuff, paper products, etc. It's $300 if we mostly eat at home, closer to $400 if we eat out a couple of times more than usual per month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I don't mean starving yourself, just eating more carbs and less protein than is healthy.

I have a family of four that includes a teen and a preteen. We spend about $700/month on food now. In the past, from necessity, it was less than $200 a month but I noticed the kids weren't growing well and hubby and I were putting on a lot of weight around the midsection, so we had to rework our budget to allow for the right kinds of food.
I agree. I think the super frugal budgets can be done in the short-term -- you're hit with an unexpected expense, you're trying to stock up your emergency savings fund, whatever -- without really any harm. There's really nothing wrong (for the average person) with eating beans and rice or even ramen noodles for a week or two here and there when it's financially necessary. In the long-term, though, it's not a good idea. It is important to budget for plenty of protein and veggies...not tons of carbs and junk.

Of course, there are plenty of ways to keep protein and veggies in your budget without spending a lot. Beans and eggs are cheap and are packed with protein. Buying markdown meat or opting for cheaper cuts and cooking them correctly can save a ton of money. Dark meat chicken isn't QUITE as healthy, but the difference is minimal, and the cost difference is huge.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:03 PM

535 posts, read 223,274 times
Thanks everyone for the replies so far! I plan on reworking my budget tomorow and seeing if I can have room to up the budget to 200 for food.

I am saving money on gas as my job is like 5 mins away from my house

Old 06-02-2017, 10:07 PM

13,341 posts, read 10,902,291 times
Quote:
Hi,

I am going to be moving out on my own and wanted to know what you guys think the average single person spends on food? I can cook...somewhat. I will be living in PA just outside of Pittsburgh if that helps. I don't eat any red meat. I only eat chicken.

Right now I live at home, but I have gotten into the habit that if I eat out like pizza or chipotle that I save some for work lunches. Like today I had leftover veggie bowl with chips for lunch.

Thanks in advance!

How much you spend on food depends on how good you want to eat. I spend around 200 bucks a month on food, and I cook most of my own meals. meat gets expensive. I don't always cook either. I've been known to have a bowl of cereal for dinner. But expense is dictated by what foods you like to eat and how much you eat as well.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:09 PM

535 posts, read 223,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
How much you spend on food depends on how good you want to eat. I spend around 200 bucks a month on food, and I cook most of my own meals. meat gets expensive. I don't always cook either. I've been known to have a bowl of cereal for dinner. But expense is dictated by what foods you like to eat and how much you eat as well.
The good news I've been cutting back on how much I eat. I've lost 30 pounds and I want to maintain that and maybe lose 10 more so I could deal with less food.

I do like to eat pizza, BBQ chicken sandwiches, egg sandwiches. I like simple things that are easy to make and don't have a ton of clean up. Plus I like being able to have leftovers to take for lunch when my PB&J gets boring.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:26 PM

4,981 posts, read 5,449,503 times
My food bill varies between $70 - $120/week, and that's just food, not toilet paper, etc. In the summer I shop at the farmer's market. In the winter, I shop more at Fareway and Aldi.

I buy as many non-food items at the Dollar Store as I can, things like cleaners, toilet paper, light bulbs, laundry soap. I watch for coupons and buy that stuff once or twice a year in bulk. I think I spent $60 last time. That lasted 7 months.

If Costco or Sam's has a "free" day, go buy tp. I once bought 3 huge packs (24 rolls? 36? I don't remember but it was under $100 and lasted almost 2.5 years). Otherwise, those places don't save me enough money to justify the membership fee. I do better at the Dollar Store.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:30 PM

5,627 posts, read 4,635,095 times
we are a family of 5 and spend $100/wk so i know you should be spending LESS than that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or